Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Tracker Smurf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:33 pm
So recently I posted on facebook that the new Muppet movie is my favorite movie of the year. I got hassled (light heartedly of course) by a couple of my friends wondering why Smurfs wasn't my favorite movie. Anyways it got me think about a couple of things.
I got into Smurfs a couple of years ago due to my daughter. I love the little blue guys and they have a shelf in my room (and much moe space taken over in my daughters) and I have certainly made my self a presence here on the Smurf message boards. I love smurfs what can I say. But there is something else.
Many of you may not know this but I am also a puppeteer. I run a puppet group for the school I teach at and Puppetry is probably one of my favorite things in all the world. As such I am a big Muppet fan as well. Have been for many many years.
Anyways I probably spent just as much time on the muppet message boards as I now spend here. I love talking about any of my hobbies with fellow fans. Here however is the interesting things.
Many muppet fans seem to be hyper critical, negative, and distant. Not all of them but many of them are. I've always felt I've needed to be careful about what I say (or even showing videos of my puppetry) on those boards. I have very few close friends i have made in the puppetry world because of this.
The Smurf collectors community however is very different. The people here are positive and helpful. Always willing to accept "newbies" and willing to take people where they are at. We love to show off our collections but never put people down who don't buy everything or sit there and be negative towards those who don't have as many smurfs as other people do. I am very happy to be part this community. You guys are amazing and I think its because of this group here that my interest in smurfs has gron over the last couploe of years. I've made some real true blue friends here and will be hanging around for many years to come. Muppets will always be a passion of mine... but thanks to all of you Smurfs will be right up there too. I'll be in line opening Day for Smurfs two and for any other Muppet movies that come out as well... and on a side note... My puppet that I use is BLue :)

Postby Tojo » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:42 pm
I definitely agree with you that the community here is very open, friendly, helping & not at all negative which is what I love about this forum & BSCC.

I collect all sorts of things & have no problem mentioning them to my friends. If I was into the Muppets then I'm sure they'd understand as many people grew up laughing at Gonzo, Animal etc. The Smurfs though are an entirely different kettle of fish. Only very few people know about my collection as I reckon that they'd laugh about my collection of children's toys (as they would see them). They'd kill themselves laughing if they knew that I spent an hour in the build-a-bear shop!!!

Here at the forums though I know that everyone else understands my passion & that for us Smurfs aren't just toys, they're also collectibles & something that we enjoy to have around us. I just wish I had more space so that I could take more stuff out of the boxes I have so that more could be on display.
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby Nivid » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:46 am
WoW :shock:

Muppet fans are snobby!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :-? :-?

Never knew :cheers:
Nivid :hiya:

Postby smurfowen » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:53 pm
Well here is some news you might of or might not of know. A friend of mine (James Wojtal Jr) that created the puppets for the smurf movie, is the same guy that created some of the puppets in the muppette movie.

He is absolutely brilliant
Attachments
elmo.jpg
elmo.jpg (77.28 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
miss.jpg
miss.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
Smurfowen
Life is a journey, so enjoy the ride.

Postby Smurfysmurf » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:03 pm
Would he happen to have any left over smurf puppets...you know those that didn't turn out good enough for the movie :dream: just asking 8-)
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby smurfowen » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:12 pm
I asked him about the puppets etc. He was not aloud to keep any I'd the smurf items/ set etc. it all belongs to Sony. 😢
Smurfowen
Life is a journey, so enjoy the ride.

Postby Tracker Smurf » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:44 pm
That is so cool....I tried my hand at making puppets and it never quite worked for me...oh well...I'd rather perform at any rate. I'm thankful that I have a teaching job that lets me do this as puppetry isn't exactly a field that a lot of people find success at. :banghead: If I was offered the opportunity to do it for a living and get paid dcently for it (got a family to support) I would take it in an instant...loved those smurf puppets by the way.

Postby Tintin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:30 am
Hi

To bad he couldn't keep one or two......................
If you helped making this movie you would want something you create i guess.

Animal has always been my favourite muppet :-D

Tintin

Postby stampysmurf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:39 pm
This is the friendliest forum!
I enjoy the muppets also, I loved watching the muppet show when it was on tv. I watch a lot of Sesame street with my Grand daughter now. She loves Elmo.....but I think Grover is my favorite. I think they should make a Clumsy Smurf meets Grover.....just imagine the mishaps they could get into! :) :) :)

Postby Tracker Smurf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:56 am
hmmm... I think the closest smurfs ever got to the muppets was that aweful anti drug cartoon from the 80s with the smurfs and muppet babies in there. I got to tell you it has been a great movie year for me and my kids since Muppets and Smurfs came out and were both great films. They both had potential to be real bombs. Muppets was much better reviewed but I still think smurfs makes the list of my top movies of the year. btw over on the MUppet message boards there does not seem to be a lot of love for smurfs. Not sure why as the movies aren't really competing with eachother in any way. Again I'd rather hang out here (or at least participate in conversations here).

Postby Smurfysmurf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:53 am
I think smurfs are often looked down upon by other collectors...I guess they are not "complex" enough :-?

That's actually what attracts me to them...don't think too much into them..just enjoy them and their simplicity :)
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby steveparkes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 am
I lurrrrrrrrvve the muppets, as a kid I was always making my own muppets from odds and ends of foam ping pong balls and coathangers :) can't wait to see the new film :D
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Tracker Smurf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:32 am
I lurrrrrrrrvve the muppets, as a kid I was always making my own muppets from odds and ends of foam ping pong balls and coathangers :) can't wait to see the new film :D
Go see the movie..it is worth it.

Postby Tracker Smurf » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 am
And on this note I was interviewed about Muppets by CNN http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/07 ... hpt=hp_bn8 The video they use with the blue puppet is me and any time they quote Dan Larabee :) Sadly nobody wanted to talk to me about smurfs :(

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:18 am
I'm very sorry to hear that so many muppets fans are snobbish. :( I cherish this board very much thanks to the users. :grouphug:

I love the muppets too and I always watch "The Muppets Christmas Carol" when Xmas is coming and I'm looking forward to the latest movie as well.

Postby steveparkes » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:35 am
I intend to when it comes over to the UK..I will be very excited to see it. I really wanted to visit NYC and go to the muppet workshop, but sadly I hear it is no more..I wanted my own muppet :???:
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

Postby Tracker Smurf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:28 pm
I intend to when it comes over to the UK..I will be very excited to see it. I really wanted to visit NYC and go to the muppet workshop, but sadly I hear it is no more..I wanted my own muppet :???:
Have you tried Fao.com...you can design and order your own muppet there. Also toys r us has a muppetwhatnot kit for sale where you can change the parts on it. A little small as its made to be a toy but fun nonethe less. Puppets are expensive though.

Postby steveparkes » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:34 pm
No I haven't tried Fao.com, I will have to go check it out :D

Page 1 of 1

Login