Home of the Smurf Community

Information about the community.
Page 1 of 5
Postby smurfinz » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:10 pm
Hey Smurfs and Smurfettes,

I am launching a new website for Smurf collectors.

I have spent the past 18 months(!) working on the concept. It is aimed at being the ultimate resource for recording, displaying, discussing, and increasing your Smurf collection.

Users will be able to:

1. Browse a list of all Smurf items, by category (Regular/Super/etc, Year, etc).
2. Check every item listed that they own - thus quickly building up an online "my collection" list.
3. Check every item that they don't own, but want to buy someday - thus quickly building up an online "my want list".
4. The system will match any entries in your "want list" to other users that have that item listed as "for sale/trade", therefore providing a very easy way to find the items that you are looking for.
5. Each user will be able to create a "homepage" for their collection, which they can customise to include articles about themselves, their collections, and Smurfs in general.
6. Users will be able to rate other users' collection, leave comments on collections and Smurfs items etc.
7. Finally, users will be able to enter both a Rating (out of five) and a Value (in $US) for every Smurf item listed. The idea is to take an average of all of the Values entered, resulting in a community-set value for rare items. In other words, perhaps an end to mad prices on eBay!

I started this project as a bit of a Smurf collector, but it has grown into something much bigger than I was expecting. The website should launch in early to mid January, but before then I NEED YOUR HELP.

I want the website to be the ultimate list of Smurf collectibles. I have entered basic data for over three hundred Smurf items already, but there are obviously many more. This chat forum has some *amazing* collections listed. What I want is your help in adding the contents of these collections to the website.

If any of you have your collection listed in a spreadsheet, text file, on a website, *anywhere*, and if you are happy to share this data with me, then please reply to this thread.

I am after data with some decent details about each item. For example, I'm trying to record (for each Smurf): Name, Year, Number of variants, Made from (e.g. resin), Notes (e.g McDonalds promo), and Image. You may be able to think of more attributes I should be thinking of!

I have found a good site with images (www.warpstore.net not in English- so I can't contact them to see if they would allow me to use their images - I don't have any good ones really). However, I want to use images that someone owns and is happy to share, so again - if anyone has these, again - I'd be very appreciative!

In case you're wondering, this website will be absolutely free for Smurf collectors to use. Anyone providing images and / or data will of course be credited for the info.

Thanks for reading everyone - and any offers of help will be most gratefully accepted!!

Have a smurftastic day!!!
:) :) :)

Postby samismurf » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:29 pm
it sounds smurfstastic :-D
sam the deal finder :sherlock:

Postby toydreamer » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:38 pm
WoW! Sounds like it's going to be a great site.

Good luck with it

:cool:
Smurfs, smurfs & more smurfs at Toy Dreamer: www.toydreamer.com.au :eek:

Postby smurfinz » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:41 pm
Thanks :) I am really working hard on it... may even finish just after Xmas at the rate I'm going!! Getting all the smurf data and images in there will still take some time.

The good thing is that users in the Smurf community will be able to add items (I will miss some for sure!), edit items, and so on.

That's the whole idea behind it... I reckon Smurfs belong to everyone, and this is a great way of getting everyone involved, and really being able to share collections.

:)
Barney

Postby SuperJen » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:51 pm
That sounds wonderful!!!

I'm sure you'll be able to get lots of help and I'm sure everyone will love it :-D
:star: SUPERJEN :star: :eye: I've got my eye on you

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:57 am
Whooooo that sounds wonderful!!! :-D

Postby Rachel » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:46 am
Hi Barney, it certainly sounds very interesting. :D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:37 pm
Sounds very nice indeedy........ :-D

Smurfy regards
Steve :D

Postby smurfinz » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:47 pm
One of the things I noticed was that some people are painting up Smurfs and then selling them as "really rare" to make fast $$. The site I'm making should be good in that the Smurf experts (everyone here!) can keep an eye on that sort of thing. The Smurf community gets to acknowledge and tag Smurfs as "the real thing" on the site, so buyers / newbies can be aware of possible pitfalls.

The site is steaming along really well. I got up to entering some data about my favourite Smurf (Alchemist 20016!) yesterday.

Looking forward to getting the site done and getting it live!

Have a smurfy day
Barney

Postby bradley » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:19 am
Is this just for pvcs? or will this be covering everything else as well from soft toys... to smurf undies??

Sounds like a great idea. Look forward to seeing the site online!

Brad.

Postby SA Smurfette » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:50 am
Sounds great, Barney 8)

Can't wait to see it :D
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby smurfinz » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:18 pm
It will be for everything Smurfy! At the moment I'm collecting data for PVCs (regular, super, christmas, easter, promos), plus playsets, DVDs, comics (about 600 items I think so far)... but of course there is tons more stuff out there.

That's why it would be cool if people have lists and what-not of the "other" stuff in Excel sheets or similar, I can add that to the site database.

For PVCs for example, I'm noting the Smurf number, name, year it was made, and a brief description of it. Once the site is up, people can add further comments like the difference between 2 colour variations and so on. It might also be important say to add a 'country' field, to distinguish between 2 similar Smurfs. What do you think?

All pix and data gratefully received! If you have lists or whatever that you're keen to share, let me know

Have a smurfy day everyone! :D

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:37 pm
Good luck Barney...it sounds very impressive and I look forward to seeing what you come up with :D

Dyar

Postby smurfinz » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:12 pm
Nearly done!!!

I've got most of the data in the site.... there are nearly 600 items! And I bet I haven't got them all either.... everyone here can edit items etc as need be to add their own expertise / flavour.

so pencil in the 10th Jan everyone - that's my Go-Live date!

I need as many people visiting the site / adding their collections as possible to impress my work colleagues who don't believe Smurfs are still popular :)

:banghead: :o

Postby samismurf » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:01 am
can't wait this date. :-D
sam the deal finder :sherlock:

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:03 am
I'm tremendously looking forward to surfing your website!!! :-D

Postby FlamingO » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:47 am
Will definately pay it a visit :D sounds like you've put a lot of hard work in.

Postby Oprime » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:34 pm
That is a very novel idea, you're one tough little Smurfer if you're able to pull it off! All my respect just for the effort of making the world a better place to Smurf.! I've got a few general lists of PVC-related stuff which you can download from my site. I don't know if they are any good for your purposes but check them out just in case. Please note that I have not made these lists myself and I'm distributing them with the permission of the authors. Because they are originally intended for personal use, it would be good to ask the people who made them just to be on the safe side (if you e.g. plan to do extensive copy-pasting).

You can find the lists & author contacts at http://www.ainoan.com/smurfs/main.htm (the last quarter of the page)

Good luck with the project!

P
SCU Finland>>Smurfs display
Ei leiki, ei pelleile!

Postby smurfinz » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:38 pm
Hi everyone!!

Here's a sample shot of the site... ignore the Amazon bit for now...

This pic is a sample of a User's want list. You can add, delete items from the Master list. Also, you can mark which ones you have, write articles about particular Smurfs if you want........

:)

Any questions, keep 'em coming... I'm working really hard on this!!

p.s. please ignore the spelling mistakes - they'll be gone when I go live I promise

Postby Yonna » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:15 am
Looks fantastic!! :D I'm waiting to see the whole site! I don't know how you people have energy to build up this kind of wonderful sites but I appriciate all of them!!!
Go ahead! Smurf my day!
Page 1 of 5

Login