Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 2
Postby Guest » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:58 pm
I thought it would be a good idea to start a topic about misleading Super Smurf Boxes.

Who has bought a super smurf only to find it isn't the same as what was shown on the box? Good examples are the Skier which has green skis on the box and silver skis inside.

A customer queried the Smurf in Bed today because it's not always clear whether you are getting one with painted bedposts or without.

Has anyone else been caught out by a misleading picture on the box?

Karen

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:54 pm
Hi Karen

The Tricycle with it's wheels and the Red Car Driver with the steering wheel are 2 that come to mind that have the same sort of misleading look on their boxes. I think some of them look a lot better on the box but so do many things that come in boxes I suppose. It has never been a problem for me but with the Bed super I imagine it could be frustrating.

As I have all of the supers I do not pay too much attention to the picture on the box and wouldn't buy one unless I knew it was different to the one I already have....which means I would be going off the look of the actual smurf or the info provided from the seller. I couldn't just buy a super without knowing unless I just wanted an extra smurf for a scene or something.

Dyar
Postby smurf1303 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:18 pm
Other two I have noticed are:

- Colour reigns on hobby house
- Colour lawnmower (box has nice looking brown one, but one inside was one piece all in yellow and if I'm honest looked a tad tacky)

Is a real pain to be honest unless can get in the boxes to have a look.

Btw does anyone know how many different boxes there actually were. I have:
- Olympics Bozes
- New boxes, as being supplied with current range
- One with 'Super Smurf' on (black letters)
- One with 'Super Smurf!!' on (also black letters)
- One with 'Super Smurf' red letters for the word 'smurf'
- One with 9Super Schlumpf Smurf' with the two words for smurf at
maybe 45 degree angle
- Schtroupms a black line then Schtroumpfs

Helen

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:43 pm
Hmm... I can see I will have to think about taking photos out of the box. It is easier to check what is in them with the older boxes as they're not all sealed but the new ones are unfortunately.

Next project I think will be to go through all the boxes and open the ones that aren't sealed and give more description on the website.

Thanks for your comments Helen, it helps me to know which ones I need to concentrate on first.

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:29 am
Hi Helen

Your last name isn't "Back" is it?...........Sorry I have been watching too many episodes of The Young Ones again.

Dyar

Postby smurf1303 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:45 am
Sorry Syd, not a big fan of the Young Ones, so joke is lost on me. Surname is Horseman as in 20432...

Helen

Postby Rachel » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:39 pm
Hi guys, I also find it can be frustrating sometimes when looking for super smurfs, especially when you are after a particular variation.

Hi Helen, welcome to the board, sounds like you have a very impressive collection. Thanks for posting, it is always great to have even more smurfy knowledge. To be honest, I have never really documented the boxes of super smurfs that I have so I am not that sure of exactly what we have. Worth looking into though, Thanks.

Dyar, the Helen Back joke kept me going for years, as soon as I read your post I was in stitches again. Thank You. ;)
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:44 pm
Ok I don't get the joke either, please enlighten me! :grin:

Postby Rachel » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:28 pm
No real joke, just try saying Helen Back out loud. :D
Sorry, I was very young when I first heard it. :eek:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:44 pm
When I translated the Catalogue I also included a Super Smurf Box checklist. It isn't as comprehensive as the list Helen put together but I am grateful she did as I might alter my checklist with her info and make it a more precise listing.

I just had three columns which included OLD GERMAN BOX, OLD ENGLISH BOX & NEW POLKADOT BOX.

Each column had a tick box so I could be aware of which ones I had in my collection. I would be happy to email the Super Smurf Boxes checklist to anyone and maybe they could add some of the other variations if they like or I could even complete it with the listing that Helen has given us.

Dyar

PS - Sorry Helen for the cheap gag....I am saving up to buy more smurfs....gee another poor joke from that show....somebody kill the Skippie.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:48 am
Could we post your super smurf checklist on here somewhere as a topic on its own? What do you think?

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:48 am
Sure...it's a pretty simple listing but it would be easier to make it more comprehensive with the different types of boxes.

Dyar

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:30 pm
Hi Karen

I have worked a bit on the checklist last night and I have noticed I have 7 different types of super boxes in my collection. I will post the checklist once I overcome a minor problem with it and maybe someone can let me know if they have seen any other different ones to the boxes I have listed.

Dyar & out

Postby smurf1303 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:59 pm
That list sure sounds like it would be useful and I would be glad to see it. Both the two smurf guides I have are quite quiet on the different boxes. I guess a lot of it depends on which country you buy the supers in (mine were bought from various Western Europe (as it was then) countries).

Thanks for the offer,

Helen

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:36 pm
Hi Helen

Well mine only had 3 different listings originally and it was thanks to you that has made me think of making a more thorough listing...so thanks for posting the different types and I will get that checklist on here today.

Where do you think is the best place to post it? Should it be here or in the community section?

Dyar

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:49 pm
Hi Karen

I have taken the photos of the 7 Super Boxes and I have typed up the checklist again but I am having trouble marryng the 2 together. As you know Karen I am hardly a computer whizz so I will post the pics here to show the differences.

ImageImageImage

Dyar

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:53 pm
ImageImageImage

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:15 pm
.....and the last one.

Karen, I have finshed the checklist which includes the labels of each variation but as I am such an expert with computers I cannot figure out how to post it as it says the document is not allowed. I will send it to you in a PM or email and maybe you can help me to add it to the board.

Cheers

Dyar

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:21 pm
I have been messing about trying to get this checklist onto a webpage. I've managed that but it doesn't print the whole page, I need one of those printable version buttons but haven't the foggiest how to do it! Here is the link so people can at least see what you have done!

www.kittyscavern.com/test3.htm

Perhaps when Rachel gets back she can do something with it!!

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:00 am
Hi Karen

I love what you have done to the checklist as I think it looks a lot better now. It's a shame we cannot print it out yet but we'll wait for Rachel and hopefully she can help.

I did forget to include the National Petrol smurf as well in this list even though I have it in my original list at work. If you get some time can you please add that one in as well just to finish it off.

I am thinking of doing the same for my playsets and houses now as I have a few of the variations there too.

Thanks for your help

Dyar
Page 1 of 2

Login