Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:42 pm
I was just wondering if Schleich re-introduced the Smurfette Baseball batter or the Surprise Bags next year or the year after etc, would the prices drop on the original versions.....or do you think that they would remain high due to people's interest in collecting the original markings?

Postby Smurfboy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:50 pm
They would probably go even higher as they would be first run original productions and the others would be "re-issues".
Postby attombomb7 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:56 pm
hmmm

if we are lucky they will produce smurfs based on the 3d look instead so then we have all new stuff...!

the new smurfs this year are a harder and different plastic..and are not pvc?? I think so that will keep the old ones more rare..

Attom :D

Postby Rachel » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:00 am
I agree, I think it will probably push up the prices of original ones. The only problem being is if it is difficult to tell new from original in photos, that could cause a major problem. Imagine paying a lot for a piece that you thought was an original but a seller may not mention the important info. :smile:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:51 am
Okay...do you think they ever would reproduce a smurf line that was considered very rare as the ones mentioned above or only stick to the more common varities?

Dyar

For the record I would think that they probably wouldn't.....but I have no real logic to back that up with a reason.

Postby Rachel » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:11 am
Hi Dyar, well the only reason some of these smurfs are so rare is because they were only released in certain areas and for limited times.

Firstly, the way smurfs were distributed years ago was very different. The European market had smurfs produced in West Germany whilst the US market had the Hong Kong smurfs. Some of these smurfs were then only produced for each market eg.
Baseball smurfette only in US
Suprise Bags only in certain parts of Germany

resulting in less smurfs and harder to find therefore higher in value.

These days it is a global market so everywhere has all newly released smurfs so the distribution factor is no longer there.

However, recently some smurfs that have been released say within the last five years have only been available for a year or two and production has already stopped. Also Schleich reduced their current production from 100 to 50 smurfs in 2001, these factors could well have an influence on values in future years.

Plus, who knows what is going to happen in the future regarding a smurfs comeback. That could cause all sorts of different marketing and distribution stratergies.

So back to the actual question, I don't think they would re-introduce the rarer figures, but who can say.

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:21 am
Thanks for the smurf lesson Rachel. I am always interested in learning more about them from an expert in the field. As you know I only started collecting last year and although I have learned an awful lot I bet there is still so much I can learn from people like yourself.

Thanks

Andrew

PS - Do you think the latest re-released CE versions will become valuable in the future or do you think they are so mass produced now worldwide that they will not be as valuable as previous editions?

PPS - Sorry to keep asking questions but I want to hear what you have to say.

Postby Rachel » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:36 am
Hi Andrew, sorry about the "lesson", that's the teacher coming out in me, withdrawl symtoms I think. :D I suppose whenever I post I am considering others who may read the post in the future looking for information relevant to them. I don't ever mean to sound "like an expert", believe me I still have a lot to learn but often by reading and answering questions I learn so much myself. :)

As for whether the smurfs being released Today will reach any value in the future, I wish I could say (and which ones of course ;) ). If anyone had told us as kids about the future value of smurfs (or star wars figures etc.) would we have believed them, would we have cared, I really don't know.

Where is that time-machine?

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:53 am
Hey Rachel I enjoy the lessons when smurfs are the subject.....I don't mind if you sound like a teacher or not but I will not disrupt the class or make paper aeroplanes while you are smurf talking.

I agree that you learn a lot by answering questions so I quite like doing it....it means you look something up again or do some other type of revision so the answer stays in your head. Sometimes you don't know the answer but know where to find it (the researcher coming out in me) so therefore you learn it for yourself as well.

No need to apologise as I like hearing from you guys as you always have something to say that leads to another response.

Dyar
Page 1 of 1

Login