Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby Rachel » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:43 pm
Hi guys, question about 5.1907 smurf riding candycane smurf.

I have had one of these smurfs for quite a few years, when I bought it I didn't think it was a fake, it was when I first started collecting again and I didn't even comprehend fakes existed. It was only later that I considered it might be a fake. It is darker blue in colour, off hand I think it is marked Hong Kong although I believe the markings are clear on it. It didn't cost too much so I was never that disappointed, just the fact that a real one would be nice to have.

Anyway, I finally got another one which I believe to be 100% genuine.
Correct colour (lighter), made in Portugal, very clear markings.

First question, is there a variation of this smurf that has Hong Kong markings that is genuine?

Secondly, the new one that I have just received doesn't have a hole in his hat for a gold ring. Is this common?

Stephen, was this discussed a while back regarding the xmas wreath smurf? Was that yours? I know both my wreath smurfs have rings but I can vaguely remember this being talked about before.

I will try and get pics posted tomorrow.

Any information much appreciated. :)
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:31 pm
Hi Rachel

I am no expert on these and I also wish I had one as it's the last one I need to complete the basic collection. I know that the fake is much darker than the original and going off Der Katalog it only mentions Portugal as a listing but as we know there could be another marked HK that doesn't vary from the Portugal. The pics of the original and fake in Der Katalog both have the eyelet on the head. I guess that's not much help but hopefully someone here will own one as well and provide better info.

Dyar

PS - If you have trouble posting a pic of it here then you can always just send it down to me and I will post both pics if you would like....I promose I will return them both.......eventually.

PPS - Yes I know the above doesn't warrant an answer but I am working on the assumption that you will get really fed up with me one day and say - "here take the blooming collection and just leave me alone". Yes I think Karen is right...I am the king of wishful thinking.

Postby Rachel » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:03 am
Well having done a bit of investigating today I can confirm:

There are genuine Smurf Riding Candycane figures with Portugal and Hong Kong markings. I have this info from several sources including old catalogues and other websites.

The first smurf that we had I am 99% sure is fake.
Marked - Made in Hong Kong, Schleich, Peyo, 1981.
He is dark - although I imagine the Hong Kong variation to be darker as others figures are!
Markings are blurred - Although the markings seem to be correct they are not as clear as I would expect them to be.

Any other comments or info would be very welcome, also the matter of whether these smurfs are common without the gold ring.

Postby Rachel » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:39 pm
Here is a pic of the two smurfs. The "real" one is on the left.

Whilst researching these smurfs I visited Ösi-Schlumpf's site again, I thoroughly recommend going there if you want to find out more about fake smurfs, especially repainted ones. Although the site is in German, you should use an online translator to read what he says. There is even a link to one on Ösi's site. There is plenty of info about which smurfs get faked often, some fantastic close up shots of photos showing how to tell a fake and you can see some of Ösi's own home-painted fake smurfs. Check it out!

Ösi-Schlumpf's Homepage

Fake Smurf Page

Postby Smurfboy » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:23 pm
Well Rachel you have me a bit confused on this one after your second post, the Katalog says only the Portugal version is real - any other markings are fakes. I do know for a FACT tho that they can have AND not have the metal eyes in them for the cords and still be real..... I have a friend here and she was a Wallace Berrie retailer back when Smurfs were popular here and has many of these Xmas Smurfs and she said some came with the eyelets seperate for the dealers to put in, that is why some have eyelets in different places or not at all!! Gary

Postby Rachel » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:29 pm
Great info about the eyelets, Thanks Gary.
The reason I am so sure there is a real one with Hong Kong markings is that I have found a picture of one in an old catalogue and you can clearly see the Hong Kong mark.

Do you have a copy of this catalogue?

On the xmas page you can see the markings on his foot.
I will scan in a pic in the morning as I am off to bed now. :roll:

Postby Smurfboy » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:58 pm
Yes Rachel, I have that book as well. Yeah you can see the hong kong marking on him in that picture, I wasn't trying to say the Katalog was right or definative, Heck I think I have one Xmas Smurf that has Portugal, China, and Hong Kong markings! (3 of the same smurf, not all on one smurf! LOL!) Gary

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:22 am
Hi Guys

On a slightly way off track I just wanted to enquire about that 1985 Schleich catalogue that Rachel posted above. I am purchasing one of these next week and just wanted to ask what do you guys think of it? I am just getting it for the collection more than anything else but would just like a short review or some info regarding this book before I receive it.

Dyar

PS - Yes, I also used to find my hidden Christmas presents and play with them weeks before the 25th December and ruin my surprise.....unfortunately I can't do that anymore as Mrs Dyar keeps all of my pressies at her Mother's house now until the actual date of Chrissy or my Birthday.....I am not wrapped with her decision but hey, what can I do.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:32 am
I just ordered one of these from Pete as well! Can't wait until I get it!

Postby Rachel » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:35 am
On a slightly way off track I just wanted to enquire about that 1985 Schleich catalogue that Rachel posted above. I am purchasing one of these next week and just wanted to ask what do you guys think of it? I am just getting it for the collection more than anything else but would just like a short review or some info regarding this book before I receive it.
Hi Dyar, the book is a nice one to have as the photos of the smurfs are nice and very clear. It is laid out in chronological order with each year's production of smurfs having it's own page.

There isn't much information regarding variations as there is just one example of each figurine. There is however a section at the front explaining how smurfs are made. There are also nice bits of clipart throughout and some smurf comic strips (all in German of course ;) )
Plus a few pics of Pop Rocky award winners in the back and some info on collecting smurfs.

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:42 am
Thanks Rachel for a peek at the book and the description of content. They do look like very nice pictures from the pic posted above. Like Karen, I am ordering mine from Pete next week and just wanted to know a little bit about them as I have only seen the front cover and a very brief amount of info on them. I now look forward to adding this to my collection.

Cheers blue ears

Dyar

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-( :-) :-( :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :) :-) :-) :-)
:-) 8-) :-) :-) :-) 8-) :-)
:-) :-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Page 1 of 1

Login