Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby Tommo » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:42 am
This is my 2000th post! :D and it's going to be a topic that I haven't really thought about until now. PVC smurfs are made of plastic with a plasticiser to make them more bendy. They will, as with all plastics and ourselves :) :) , break down and deteriorate. So what will the lifespan of a pvc smurf be? I've been reading some discussions on a Star Wars forum and collectors are starting to find this a problem with Star Wars figures. The main ways to preserve a plastic for as long as possible is to keep it out of sunlight, extremes of temperature, humidity, and pollution. I even read that you shouldn't be storing plastic figures in plastic bags :eek: I will have to look into this more to find the reason. Is there any way to find out they type of plastics they have been used over the years for smurfs? Is it worth collecting something that is going to eventually break down? Is it worth collecting mint condition pieces which in time, through no fault of your own, will not stay mint? Is it worth paying high prices for rare smurfs bearing this mind? :-?
cheers, Tommo
Postby Bundleofkent2 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:49 am
I think it’s worth it as the rate of PVC deterioration seems slow…….I have Smurfs from 1976 that are absolutely mint.

I don’t even have “signs” of degradation on any of them.

Most of us will sell after a while, like everything in life it’s timing that’s the key ie when to sell

Martin
Postby Tommo » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:19 pm
How do you store yours Martin? I’m now reading that you shouldn't keep them in ziplock bags, or if you do to have the open to let ventilation in. I need to look into this more :???:
Postby Arno » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:47 pm
Tommo, don't worry, our plastic smurfs will survive us ! The ones from BP from the late sixties are in good condition compared to human beings from this period...
Like for everything, direct sunlight is not good, as well as humidity - and destroying kids ! - ; but really, you can store them in wooden or plastic boxes and the will endure ; maybe if they value very much money in some centuries, people will restore them with their technology.
At the moment, from my experience, only the accessories are made from "fragile" plastic that are often broken.
I store smurfs in plastic shelves and accessories in cardboard boxes because I have not enough space for these ; the curtains of the room are drawn to avoid direct sunlight.
Postby The Smurf Collector » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:35 am
I agree with both Martin and Arno with their comments.

Though if you are really concerned that your Smurf collection will deteriorate, I know a place in Australia that will take of them. See it as retirement holiday for your Smurfs.
Keep Smurfin

Kath B

Try smurfing this: http://www.smurfs.com.au
Postby KiwiSchlumpf » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:15 am
Well I sure hope they outlast me.

My plan is to be buried surrounded by all my smurfs. :P Then one day thousands of years in the future, archeologists will unearth my mausoleum (key indianna jones music) and announce that they have unearthed a person of great importance who was buried with thousands of religious icons to assist me in my journey to the afterlife.... much like what Egyptologists do today when they unearth a tomb.

My learned opinion is that, Tutankhamen was merely buried with all his toys. :eek:

Let it be known that 'those who die with the most toys wins!' :-D
Postby Tommo » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:57 am
I think I would have to join them Kath for a retirement in Australia :) :) :)

I'll be going up in flames when the time comes Kiwismurf so it would be a waste to take them with me :) :) :)

Any pics of your smurfs on the shelves Arno?
Postby Bundleofkent2 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:17 am
Mine are in empty wardrobe space, which is astonishing in itself given the clothes, shoes and general female excess that my wife has.......
Postby Bundleofkent2 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:25 am
example...
Attachments
shelf.jpg
shelf.jpg (116.76 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Postby Tintin » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:54 am
Hi

Great picture :-D
Beautifull collection !!!!

gr Tintin
Postby Bundleofkent2 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:43 am
Thanks Tintin!

I'd love you to have a look at the super smurfs section.......mainly for any colour dots that you might have that none of us have especially green dots

Best wishes

Martin
Postby Tintin » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:30 pm
Hi Martin

Not going to be easy since most of them are still in box.
Any special ones you want me to look for ?

gr Tintin
Attachments
sup.jpg
sup.jpg (103.03 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
Postby The Smurf Collector » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:50 am
I love these pictures!

I never considered putting my Smurfs in the wardrobe. I have enough problems putting my clothes in my wardrobe.
Keep Smurfin

Kath B

Try smurfing this: http://www.smurfs.com.au
Postby Bundleofkent2 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:03 pm
Hi Tintin,

I still haven’t worked out which supers have green dots especially……
Page 1 of 1

Login