Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby Bunno Smurf » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:45 am
Hi,
Was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this? I thought smurf DVD's were only available in Australia at the moment. This seems to be a different one to the one I have. The seller SAYS he/she got them from the States. The seller only has a feedback rating of 3. Was just wondering if its legit or dodgy?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 87366&rd=1

Linda

Postby SA Smurfette » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:56 am
Hi Linda,

I just left a post about Smurf DVD's on the Mushroom village site.
I'd seen one listed on Ebay America with 222 episodes on 13 DVD's

The one your questioning is probably done by somebody at home.
Downloades the episodes and burns them on a DVD, and also can do a custom made cover.

If it region free it is probably is dodgy.

Raelene

Postby Bunno Smurf » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:18 am
Yeah I was thinking its dodgy myself but its interesting to see what others think. DVDs and CDs are so easy to fake. Personally I think you're better off buying it through legitimate places.

Linda

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:35 am
You're right Raelene...these are pirated copies made on the Spanish sea with the blood of Englishmen.....um....well I have heard they are pirated copies anyway.

It would be interesting to see what the quality is like on these ones they're selling. I have seen that auction many times and I am guessing it's the same seller. Maybe I will ask the person who buys it what they think of them. If it was great quality then it would be awesome to get the whole complete collection in one go.

Postby pekkelien » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:39 am
never saw it before good post :D

Postby lordsmurf » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:13 am
The quality of that homemade 13-DVD set is pitiful. I know who made it. He cheated somebody else I know out of his tapes, and then used a bunch of Kazaa downloads and some existing homemade VCDs. He then proceeded to convert the tapes and downloads into more inferior quality VCDs. He eventually took the VCDs and dumped them onto DVDs. The quality is barely viewable, and the discs never play all the episodes. The discs are corrupt (the masters are obviously made that way too).

Don't waste your time or money.

Homemade DVDs do not necessarily mean bad quality. In fact, they can be quite nice. But sadly, homemade is probably the ONLY way we'll ever see the full cartoon on DVD. It would be a miracle for WB to commit to a show that large. We'd be lucky to squeeze out a couple of seasons from them.

I have most of the show myself. Only missing some season 7 and 8 episodes, as well as some other random ones here and there.

Postby Gerda » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:56 pm
There is a seller on ebay right now that is selling the magic flue on dvd.. his feedback tells the story of people who got dvd's from him and found out they where faked..
anything for a buck these days I guess :x :x
gerda

Postby XoioX2000 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:54 am
Agreed with lordsmurf on all counts here...

About the DVDs though, there are at least 4 genuine DVDs which have been released in France. There is a them for each one of them.

One is called "Magic" (Cover with a magician smurf). Another is "legend and heroes" (With a picture of Smurf Robin Hood on the cover) and I forgot the other 2...

I have some pics at home and I will post them later.

Cheers,

David
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby attombomb7 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:57 am
its really bad that fake DVD's are on the market!

it means that the quality will be very poor for long term use..
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website
Hogatha's Fake and licenced Smurfs collection

http://mennoblue.net/
(my fake smurf collection ):)

Postby lordsmurf » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:54 am
I don't mind "fake" DVDs, as long as they're good quality. Not pitiful junk. That Smurfs and the Magic Flute DVD on eBay is actually better quality than my VHS version (which is still in like-new condition). The DVD came from a restored Laserdisc (or so the story goes). I was not happy that a crappy PRINCO blank was used, nor that it had scribbling for a label (it did cost $25, after all!!!), but once I saw how well the movie quality was, I quickly lost the momentary bit of anger.

We have to face facts: Hanna-Barbera was swallowed by WB, which was swallowed years later by the bohemoth Time Warner. They care about installing garbage movies in theatres, not us loyal fans to old cartoons. We have to accept whatever makes itself available, fake or not.

In the past 20 years, they've released maybe a dozen tapes, some Malaysian VCDs and a handful of DVDs ... WORLDWIDE! Even then, only two-thirds of them are English language. Call me a cynic, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. I can only hope I'm wrong and some Smurf-loving exec sees to it that the series gets an official DVD release, all 9 season.

Beyond that, if we want to see the show, and show our children, we've got to stick together. So if some SMURFS fan makes a couple of good DVDs to share with others, more power to him or her.

Postby Bunno Smurf » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:07 am
Well they've released season 1 in Australia and it sold out like hotcakes. Season 2 is available for pre-order so I'm guessing if it sells well they'll make all the seasons available sooner or later.

Linda
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:14 am
Hi Linda

I was just reading about how you said Season 1 was released here...and Season 2 soon....I was just wondering though...aren't these only 5 or 6 episodes from Season 1 and that each Season actually has more episodes like 10 or so?

Can someone please confirm that as I am not that familiar with the cartoons besides the fact that I am almost 100% sure that they're all animated cartoons.

Dyyyyyyyyaaaaaarrrrrrrr

Postby Bunno Smurf » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:24 am
hmmm dunno. Seems to be only a few hey. Though it does say season 1 on the DVD...doesn't it?? I should check mine! I wouldn't even think 10 would make a whole season????

Linda
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby lordsmurf » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:38 am
Season one is 26 half-hour episodes. That pathetic R4 DVD has 5-6 episodes total. Not even a quarter of one season of a show that lasted for 260 half-hour episodes spanning nine seasons (not to mention a half dozen specials, and the non-HB movie).

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:37 pm
Thank you oh lord

I agree it is pretty disappointing and would of preferred a box set but I suppose that might of been too expensive to release and take the risk. However if you are to buy them at 6 episodes at a time it would cost an awful lot of money to buy them all. I doubt they will all be released anyway. I guess we should be happy for something......it's better than nothing...don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....one in your hand is not as much fun as one in the bush.....etc etc

Dyar
Page 1 of 1

Login