Home of the Smurf Community

Find all the news and rumours about the Smurf movie here
Page 7 of 7

Postby SMURFSTEROCKS » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:54 am
Yes, they´ve definately lose weight and got longer legs. Also measurements of smurf´s head have been re-done. It meets better modern standards of perfect figure :)
Still it´s very nice of them to even try :D

JT
LOL JT,
They made the Smurfs to the equivalent size of the CGI form,
so they could move around much better in the movie.
(Website is only viewable on Internet Explorer)

Postby André » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:05 am
Regarding the look of the smurfs I think it looks nice.

And my children love it.

Think like this: It could have been a lot worse. :o

/André

Postby JT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:45 pm
LOL JT,
That I could guess. So they had to make compromises to fit smurfs into new format. I can live with that. I know I shouldn´t say more about this subject, but I´ll never learn :???:
If you look unpainted Unicef 50th anniversary smurf (which is sort of standard smurf), you instantly see that this new fellow has lost his chubby cheeks and tummy. Also nose looks little bit smaller and legs longer. I understand that it´s easier for this slimmer Smurf to move around. I think he could be a lot worse too. He has right kind of hat, ears and hands look ok. Eyes have always been difficult part of smurfs as they vary a lot :shock:
And to end this critics to Smurfs film, I think smurf is ok. Film should be ok and I hope it is a hit and brings Smurfs back into frontline of cartoon/comic characters, where they undoubtly belong. And Columbia Pictures are fortunate that most of Smurfs fans ain´t living in the past, like me. I think they´re happy to lose one ticket buyer and gain some thousand new ones :)

JT

Postby PVCBlue » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:16 am
I wouldn't worry too much if I were you JT, from what I understand Columbia & Sony have stated this isn't the final look, it was just a rush for the 2010 licensing season. :D
LOL JT,
That I could guess. So they had to make compromises to fit smurfs into new format. I can live with that. I know I shouldn´t say more about this subject, but I´ll never learn :???:
If you look unpainted Unicef 50th anniversary smurf (which is sort of standard smurf), you instantly see that this new fellow has lost his chubby cheeks and tummy. Also nose looks little bit smaller and legs longer. I understand that it´s easier for this slimmer Smurf to move around. I think he could be a lot worse too. He has right kind of hat, ears and hands look ok. Eyes have always been difficult part of smurfs as they vary a lot :shock:
And to end this critics to Smurfs film, I think smurf is ok. Film should be ok and I hope it is a hit and brings Smurfs back into frontline of cartoon/comic characters, where they undoubtly belong. And Columbia Pictures are fortunate that most of Smurfs fans ain´t living in the past, like me. I think they´re happy to lose one ticket buyer and gain some thousand new ones :)

JT
"Smurfs, Smurfs, and More Smurfs!"

Postby bradley » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:40 am
Bad news for the smurfs movie.. we will have to wait even longer now as the release date is pushed back into 2011.
The Smurfs Moved Back to Summer 2011
Source:ComingSoon.net September 13, 2009

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59078

As was expected, Sony Pictures has moved the CG-animated The Smurfs away from a December 17, 2010 release, where it would have faced The Green Hornet, Tron Legacy and Yogi Bear.

Instead, the studio is eyeing a July 29, 2011 release date for the 3D adaptation of the characters created by Belgian cartoonist Pierre Culliford (AKA Peyo). The film currently has the slot to itself. Marvel Studios' The First Avenger: Captain America is scheduled to be released a week earlier, on July 22, 2011.

It was expected, because The Green Hornet is also a Sony release and the studio announced that film was going to be moved to Dec. 17, 2010 just a couple of weeks ago.

The Smurfs will be directed by Raja Gosnell.

Postby PVCBlue » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:00 am
I will try and get ahold of my brother-in-law this week Brad and see if this is true, a friend of his is working on the movie.

The Sony Pictures website still says 2010 - CLICK HERE
:D
Bad news for the smurfs movie.. we will have to wait even longer now as the release date is pushed back into 2011.
The Smurfs Moved Back to Summer 2011
Source:ComingSoon.net September 13, 2009

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59078

As was expected, Sony Pictures has moved the CG-animated The Smurfs away from a December 17, 2010 release, where it would have faced The Green Hornet, Tron Legacy and Yogi Bear.

Instead, the studio is eyeing a July 29, 2011 release date for the 3D adaptation of the characters created by Belgian cartoonist Pierre Culliford (AKA Peyo). The film currently has the slot to itself. Marvel Studios' The First Avenger: Captain America is scheduled to be released a week earlier, on July 22, 2011.

It was expected, because The Green Hornet is also a Sony release and the studio announced that film was going to be moved to Dec. 17, 2010 just a couple of weeks ago.

The Smurfs will be directed by Raja Gosnell.
"Smurfs, Smurfs, and More Smurfs!"

Postby stampysmurf » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:35 pm
I hope it isn't true. This is like telling a kid that Christmas is being postponed!!!!! :( :(

Postby bradley » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:08 am
I hope it isn't true. This is like telling a kid that Christmas is being postponed!!!!! :( :(
lol, yeah it is isn't it. Hopefully its not true. But it sounds like they are moving the smurfs to a new date so that it doesn't have such competition on opening day.

Postby SMURFSTEROCKS » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:27 am
lol, yeah it is isn't it. Hopefully its not true. But it sounds like they are moving the smurfs to a new date so that it doesn't have such competition on opening day.
That's good in a way. We want the Smurf Movie to be as popular on their
first debut in the theaters so they can go ahead and work on the next one.
(Website is only viewable on Internet Explorer)

Postby bradley » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:18 am
http://www.newsday.com/columnists/other ... -1.1452985

Old Plant 5 going Hollywood?

The former Plant 5 at Northrop Grumman Corp. in Bethpage - where the lunar lander was built in the 1960s for the Apollo moon program - may be again used to film a second Hollywood movie.

For several weeks recently, a production crew used the 500,000-square-foot plant to film scenes for "Smurfs," an animated Columbia Pictures film based on the legendary blue characters created by the comics artist Peyo.

The first filming at the plant took place this spring, when Columbia filmed part of the spy movie "Salt," which stars Angelina Jolie. Plant 5 is now owned by East Setauket developer Parviz Farahad and is called Lunar Module Park Llc.

Farahad wants the facility to be a regular stop on the Hollywood film circuit.

Last week Farahad said some filming for "Smurfs" took place at the plant but was halted for a rewriting of the script, and the production is now on hiatus.

"They worked for about two or three weeks," Farahad said, adding he is awaiting word from Columbia on when filming might resume.

In a news release Columbia and Sony Pictures Animation say they plan to release the movie in December 2010.

Farahad said he is committed to keeping the plant available to Hollywood studios. "We have the right facility," he said.
Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:59 am
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=27187

This news just broke... I love this guy! :-D
www.britishcollectorsclub.com The Smurf Collectors Club

Postby Cool Smurf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:32 pm
I hope the Smurfs' movie does really well so that more films can be made! 8)
Robin, you dog, you- Vanity "The Adventures of Robin Smurf"

Postby bradley » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:58 am
The Smurfs movie release date has been pushed back AGAIN!

Columbia Pictures’ has changed the release date of the big screen adaptation of The Smurfs. The film, which is a CGI/live action hybrid, helmed by Raja Gosnell (Scooby Doo and Beverly Hills Chihuahua) was originally set to hit theaters on July 29th 1011, but will now hit theaters a few days later on August 3rd 2011.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/11/rel ... z0hxVCtMuI

Postby Nivid » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:58 am
I DON'T EVEN CARE ANYMORE ABOUT THIS ****ING MOVIE IT'S TAKING WAY TOO LONG TO COME OUT AND THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE KATY PERRY
PLAYING SMURFETTE! WHAT THE ****!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Edited by SmurfingH for language!
Nivid :hiya:

Postby bradley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:05 am
hmm, i feel a little better now that we have confirmation that Garagamel IS actually in this film. For a second I thought they were going to leave him out of it.

From the sounds of things, I am hoping that the smurf village/world is located within a portal accessed from Central Park... not the village in the modern day in Central Park. With Garagmel being CGI as well thats why I'm thinking everything inside the portal, the smurfs world is in CGI until the smurfs stumble out of the portal and into our world. Sort of like that Disney movie where it begins as a cartoon and then the characters all end up in the real world. Thats just what I'm thinking or hoping the movie will be like. Still keeping the smurfs in medievil times and in their own little world in the portal... they end up finding a doorway to our world. thats what I'm thinking.

I'm also wondering what happened to the storyline involving the little girl lead who finds clumsy smurf etc... crap idea, didn't like it.. so it sounds like they've re-written the script and changed the lead to that guy from How I Met Your Mother. Better than the original idea I think.

Postby bradley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:44 am
The Smurfs movie has officially began filming! Here is the press release with some details on the movie. Doesn't sound too bad and I'm happy my theory I posted above is true... the smurfs do live in a magical other world before ending up in New York trying to find their way back home.
“THE SMURFS” BEGINS PRODUCTION IN NEW YORK

HANK AZARIA STARS AS GARGAMEL; NEIL PATRICK HARRIS AND JAYMA MAYS TAKE LIVE ACTION LEAD ROLES;

ANTON YELCHIN, COMEDY LEGEND JONATHAN WINTERS, POP STARLET KATY PERRY, ALAN CUMMING, FRED ARMISEN, AND GEORGE LOPEZ ARE THE VOICES OF THE SMURFS

CULVER CITY, Calif., April 5, 2010 - Principal photography began Friday, March 26, in New York on Columbia Pictures’/Sony Pictures Animation’s hybrid live-action and animated family comedy, The Smurfs, it was announced today by Bob Osher, president of Sony Pictures Digital Productions, Hannah Minghella, president of Sony Pictures Animation and Doug Belgrad, president of Columbia Pictures.

Audiences everywhere are in for a Smurfy good time as the Smurfs make their first 3D trip to the big screen. When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the tiny blue Smurfs out of their village, they tumble from their magical world and into ours - in fact, smack dab in the middle of Central Park. Just three apples high and stuck in the Big Apple, the Smurfs must find a way to get back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down. The film is set for release August 3, 2011.

Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, Sofia Vergara, and Hank Azaria star on camera opposite an all-star voice cast. Anton Yelchin will play Clumsy Smurf; comedy legend Jonathan Winters, who voiced roles in the “Smurfs” television series, will voice Papa Smurf; Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Katy Perry will play Smurfette; Alan Cumming will play Gutsy Smurf; “SNL’s” Fred Armisen will voice Brainy Smurf; and George Lopez will play Grouchy Smurf.

In the live-action roles, Azaria will play the Smurfs’ nemesis, the evil wizard Gargamel. Harris and Mays star as an expectant couple whose lives are turned upside down when the Smurfs cross over from their magical village to New York City. Vergara plays Odile, Harris’s boss, a cosmetics executive.

The film is directed by Raja Gosnell. The screenplay is by J. David Stem & David N. Weiss and Jay Scherick & David Ronn, based on the characters and works of Peyo. The producer is Jordan Kerner and Ezra Swerdlow, Ben Haber, and Paul Neesan are the executive producers.

Commenting on the announcement, Minghella said, “We’re thrilled with the way our cast has come together. Raja and Jordan and the entire team working on The Smurfs have developed a film with tremendous heart and great comedy and now we have a dream cast to bring the movie to life.”

Adds producer Jordan Kerner, “What a wonderful journey this has been. The time is right for an adventure that will thrill fans and introduce the blue heroes to a new generation, and the technology is here to allow the three-apple-high Smurfs to appear in all their glory on the big screen and in 3D. Columbia Pictures has been magnificent at every turn in their commitment to get The Smurfs to the screen. Our partners at Lafig, including Peyo’s daughter Veronique Culliford, have been with us in the creation of the story and characters every step of the way. It’s a real thrill to begin shooting and working with our compatriots at Sony Pictures Animation. Just wait - the blue invasion is coming!”

Phil Meheux (Edge of Darkness) is the director of photography and the production designer is Bill Boes (Beverly Hills Chihuahua). Sabrina Plisco (Beverly Hills Chihuahua) is the film’s editor, Maricel Pagulayan (Avatar) is the VFX Producer and Richard R. Hoover (Superman Returns) is the visual effects supervisor, with Sony Pictures Imageworks creating imagery and animation for the magical world of the Smurfs.

About Sony Pictures Animation

Sony Pictures Animation exemplifies the next generation of CGI storytelling to produce a variety of animated entertainment for audiences around the world. Sony Pictures Animation has a full slate of films including the mouth-watering 3D comedy Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, which opened as the #1 movie in North America on September 18, Hotel Transylvania, now in pre-production and, in association with Columbia Pictures, The Smurfs, now in production. In 2007, Surf’s Up, was nominated for an Academy Award® for Best Animated Feature and won two Annie Awards. The company’s first film, Open Season, was a box office success and the #2 DVD title of the year for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Its sequel, Open Season 2, released in 2009, was an international family hit. Sony Pictures Animation is an operating unit of Sony Pictures Digital Productions.

About the Smurfs

The story of the Smurfs - a property created by Peyo - started in 1958 with the creation of comic books which were later brought to the big screen and on television. Over the years, the little blue characters haven’t just limited themselves to the page and the screen. They have inspired records and CDs that have sold millions of copies, entire collections of figurines and toys, and many more products. In all, more than 3,000 derived products have been produced, leading brands and companies have spread their messages worldwide with the help of the Smurfs. A multitude of new projects appear regularly, thus making the success of the Smurfs planetary!
Page 7 of 7

Login