Home of the Smurf Community

The place for new members to introduce themselves
Page 1 of 2
Postby bilboferret » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:05 am
Hello everyone,

I am new, I am from New Zealand and have been collecting Smurfs from 2002, but had a huge collection of about 200 when I was little until my Mum gave them away :(

I am so glad I found other Smurf people like you all as most reactions from people are that I am a bit strange because of my hobby.

Look forward to getting to know you all,

Carmel.

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:58 am
Hi Carmel

You should feel right at home here as we are all weird here....well at least to the rest of the world....in their opinion of course.

You should like it here as we are all very friendly (even to Kiwis :shock: ) so feel free to jump in and post away as you won't be ignored as we love new members and I am sure everyone here will be glad that you have become a member.

Dyar

PS - How could your Mum do that to you.....did she offer to sell your Dad to get some of them back?

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:02 am
Hi Carmel

Welcome to the board. :welcome:

It's nice to meet a new member, I hope you are going to help us keep these Aussies in check!!! They are taking over, you know? :) :) :)

Just kidding, we love them really! :cheers:

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:07 am
What are you talking about Karen.....it will take all of us Aussies to keep one New Zealander in check........only joking of course Carmel.....there's not enough Aussies here to really do that. :)

Dyar

Postby bilboferret » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:26 am
Nice to hear from all of you,

My Mum gave them away thinking they were worth nothing at the time, she regrets it now though! We were moving house and I was going though the stage where I did not want any more toys, oh my have those times changed!

Oh, by the way how much is Papa Smurf worth? I second hand shop was selling him for $12nzd, I would never pay that much for him as I got two in lots online!

Great to see so many people who love Smurfs as I do,

Carmel.

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:34 am
The common Papa Smurf (20001) is not worth that much, you should be able to pick him up for a lot less than that Carmel.

I have fond memories of touring New Zealand as a youngster on a football tour. We played Mt Albert over there and I had the fun of staying with a family in Otara....that was almost an eye opener but I got away from the gang before they broke the skin. I loved the tour though and spent up big in the record stores of Rotorua (is the spelling correct?). We got flogged in the 2 games against Mt Albert but I did score 2 tries in the second game so it wasn't my fault :)

Nice to have you on the forum

Dyar

Postby bilboferret » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:55 am
Hi Dyar,

I agree that Papa Smurf is not worth that much and was shocked that someone would pay that much for him :shock:

You did spell the NZ names right, I live in the central North Island and there is alot of rugby that goes on here, even some american football, (there is a big Mormon community here). I have never been to Australia but would love to go to the theme parks and see Steve Irwins park, (to see if he will feed his children to the crocs).

Did you guys get the Smurfs through BP like we did? My Mum has fond memories of buying us a packet everytime she got some petrol.

Carmel.
The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."

- Rita Mae Brown

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:19 am
Hi Carmel

I just noticed where you were from.....I went to Hamilton too which is a lot different than Otara :relieved: as well as down to Taupo. It was such a great tour (Rugby League) and my only time outside of Australia besides going diving outside of Australian waters one day....with the native sharks :shock:

Actually i remember the first night in NZ when we got on a bus at the airport and when we got off we were all there in our green & gold tracksuits and a gang near the bus shouted out (as soon as I step foot of the bus) "AUSSIES SUCK"....so it nice to get such an enthusiastic welcoming :) I also had brand new white sneakers and when I walked to the place I was staying in Otara at night I felt me feet sink below the earth...lol....the ground was so soft compared to here.....needless to say they weren't so white when I got to the house :(

I feel like feeding my 3 year old son Jack to the crocs sometimes...but Mrs Dyar won't let me :banghead:

We also bought our smurfs at BP service stations. I used to walk straight from school to the nearest BP which was about an hour's walk from school and by the time I got home at 5pm my mother would be frantic wondering where I was....or as was the case most of the time the babysitter who was looking after me and my older brother and sister was frantic when i walked in the door....and all I would say was..."yeah but look what I just got". I used to love my smurfs as a kid and it was a shame that they were later stolen from me. I started again though and now I have lots and lots...but still not enough :D

Dyar

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:37 am
Here in the UK we got our smurfs with petrol from National Garages so we started in pretty much the same way. :-D

Papa Smurf is very cheap, I sell them mint for £2.95 each which is top end price. Papa Smurf was probably one of the most popular early smurfs and being red he doesn't suffer so badly with rubs so they are always easy to get hold of in good condition, like you say in lots.

The best guide to smurf values is the Der Schlumpf Katalog which gives you all the values in euros. Most people here have a copy so can tell you values if you don't want to get the book yourself. :cheers:

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:01 am
Hi there and welcome. :D Its always nice to see new people.. er i mean smurfies join the bord. :-D I cant belive your perants gave away your smurfs. :( I bet you wish you could turn back time now. Any ways welcome and enjoy. :D
Smurfy regards, Steve. :D

Postby SA Smurfette » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:02 am
I have never been to Australia but would love to go to the theme parks and see Steve Irwins park, (to see if he will feed his children to the crocs).

Carmel.
Hi Carmel :welcome:

I was watching " The Great Outdoors " tonight and they had a special on holidaying in New Zealand. Around Queenstown, Rotorua etc. It looked beautiful :D They had this really cool ride called the "Swoop" bit like a bungy jump but you swoop down like a bird and can have 3 people having a go at once :shock:

I went to the Australia Zoo last year. Steve Irwin was'nt home.
Really nice Zoo though :D Crikey ! Croc's Rule :)

Hope you'll stick around Carmel, nice to have somebody from New Zealand :D

Raelene

Postby Rachel » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:47 am
Hi Carmel, welcome aboard. :welcome:

From what I understand, I think New Zealand has many similarities to Wales - rugby, sheep and hills. :lol: I did a project when I was in school and New Zealand sounded like a cool place to live so I will look forward to hearing a bit more about yourself and New Zealand. :D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby bilboferret » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:47 pm
Nice to meet you all, :D

I have only gone to the south Island once and I cant remember much as I was only 6 years old but it is very nice down there. I would love to live in Wellington (the capital of NZ and where postproduction was done on the LOTR movies).

Yes NZ is supposed to be a lot like Wales and also Southern Ireland. I am going to be coming over to Wales in September 2006 to start of my OE and live with my grandparents for a while. I am looking forward to the UK as both my parents were born there and I have heard so many stories about it. :)

The girl who told me about Papa Smurf said he was worth so much because he is made out of red plastic instead of blue? :-?

Out of interest which is the most valuable Smurf?

Carmel. 8)
The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."

- Rita Mae Brown

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:49 pm
Just me again

Regarding the original Papa smurfs there are 2 main different types.

1. Blue PVC and then painted red

2. Red PVC and then painted blue

(PVC is just the type of plastic they are made from)

The one with the blue PVC (base colour) is more expensive than the red one. There is only one type of the blue base Papa but there are several with different markings (Hong Kong/W Germany etc) that have the red PVC. So whoever told you that is actually incorrect. Most Papas you see on Ebay will be Red PVC.

The Katalog that Karen mentioned to you in one of these posts has the Blue based Papa at 15 euros (that is too expensive in my opinion) but he is listed as almost double the price of the ones with the Red PVC. I have bought the blue Papa for 1 euro in the last 4 months so if you know how to spot one then you have an advatange over most Ebayers as Papa Smurf in general isn't as sought after as some of the other smurfs which can allow you to pick up a more expensive variation at a bargain price.

Does this all make sense? Let me know if you don't understand what I am saying and I will try to explain it better. If you go to the Smurfy Games section in the forum there is a photo of some of my Papas in the thread that says "Pick the Fake Papas". Go there and I will point out which one the blue based Papa is....all of the other authentic ones are red PVC.

Dyar

Postby eggie smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:53 pm
I feel like feeding my 3 year old son Jack to the crocs sometimes...but Mrs Dyar won't let me :banghead:
You better edit that before Mrs Dyar finds you and whacks you upside the head :o

:hiya: Carmel!! Welcome to our smurfy little place...you fit right in here, but be careful or you'll have Dyar talking nonstop....constantly....without end.....he may follow you home and keep talking about smurfs...ACK LOL J/K! :cheers:
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:05 pm
That's a bit harsh Stace, I know about other stuff too.....just because I can't remember what that other stuff is doesn't mean I don't know about it.....oh, I know....did I mention I know something about the Playsets.....or are they considered smurfs too? :-?

Dyar

Postby eggie smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:36 pm
They aren't technically considered smurfs but they are smurf accessories so yes, dear, they are part of your smurf knowledge ;) Try again :)
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:41 pm
Well that's just fine then......okay what about this then.

If you push your middle finger backwards until it can't go any further and then you give it a really hard push back again then you get major ouchies.....that's nothing to do with smurfs is it Stace?

:-D

Dyar

PS - :?

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:28 am
Hiya Carmel,welcome to the board. You will fit right in here. I too collected smurfs as a youngster, but my mom didnt give mine away. I sold mine as i then wanted a pair of rollerskates :shock: . I regret that soooo much now. :D Lucie & Simon

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:35 am
Don't worry Lucie...Syd is very proud of you
Page 1 of 2

Login