Home of the Smurf Community

Local smurfy events and news. Announce news here that is local to your country / area.
Page 1 of 1
Postby bradley » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 am
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2010 ... nto-china/
A new wave of blue-collar workers is joining the push to develop Western China: the Smurfs.

The beloved, animated blue creatures — famous for their white caps, cheery theme song, and proclivity for using the name of their race as a verb — are moving to Chengdu, where development firm Chengdu Teda Sino-Europe Construction and Smurf-brand owner IMPS plan to open a Smurf theme park, according to a report from DTZ Asia Property Market Update.

With investment of 20 million yuan, or about $2.9 million, the theme park is set to open in three to five years, according to DTZ. It’s part of a bigger plan to build tourism in Chengdu, where pandas are one of the biggest attractions.

The Chinese development won’t be the first theme park for the blue imps. The Big Bang Schtroumpf (French for Smurf) opened in France in 1989, though due to lackluster attendance it closed after two seasons. The park later reopened under different ownership, yet, to avoid shuttering the park, it shoved the Smurfs and their high licensing fees out in 2003.

So why build a Smurf attraction in China?

If this were a few decades ago, the answer might be politics. After all, in certain circles, it is believed that the Smurfs were a Communist plot. What better fit than Maoist China would there for a beings who wear the same clothing, live in a cooperative, and contentedly work for a common goal under the authoritarian leadership of a man whose white beard bears a striking resemblance to that of Karl Marx.

These days, the more likely answer is commerce. Since their 50th anniversary in 2008, the Smurfs have been singing their way back into the markets, and Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation plan to release a hybrid live-action, animated Smurf movie next year, starring Neil Patrick Harris and Katy Perry. Toy manufacturer Jakks Pacific Inc. is selling plush Smurf toys and DVDs. A Smurfette line of lipsticks and eye shadows went on sale last year at cosmetic retailer Sephora.

Postby Azrael » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:08 am
Hmmmm.....

Not sure about this? The park will either be tiiiny and nothing to shout about, or it won't happen at all. Surely something like 'Hello Kitty' or something of that ilk would warrant a park in China over the Smurfs? Seems a bit random.

Don't get me wrong tho... I'd be the first to book a ticket!! Awesome if so, but I'm slightly dubious about this.

Big Bang was the greatest place in the Universe. :(
www.britishcollectorsclub.com The Smurf Collectors Club

Postby bradley » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:29 am
Hmmmm.....

Not sure about this? The park will either be tiiiny and nothing to shout about, or it won't happen at all. Surely something like 'Hello Kitty' or something of that ilk would warrant a park in China over the Smurfs? Seems a bit random.

Don't get me wrong tho... I'd be the first to book a ticket!! Awesome if so, but I'm slightly dubious about this.

Big Bang was the greatest place in the Universe. :(
yeah I'm not sure why they'd open a smurfs theme park in China. Maybe the smurfs are the 'in' thing over there at the moment with the smurfs being at the Shanghai World Expo. Maybe they are popular again there. Wonder what the theme park would be like. If its any good I'd love to fly to check it out. A smurf theme park no matter what would be awesome!

Postby bradley » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:03 am
http://www.intergameonline.com/intergam ... t-smurfed/
Is China about to get Smurfed?
A Smurf-themed amusement park is set to open in Chengdu, China, within the next few years, according to online sources.

Development firm Chengdu Teda Sino-Europe Construction and Smurf-brand owner IMPS plan to open a Smurf theme park, according to a report from DTZ Asia Property Market Update. With investment of YEN20m, the theme park is set to open in the next three to five years and is part of a bigger plan to build tourism in the area.

While the Smurfs were popular in the 70s and 80s they have faded from the spotlight more recently. However, with Sony Pictures' Smurfs 3D-animation and live-action feature film due to debut next August, the Belgian franchiser of the Smurfs is waiting to see if the small blue creatures, who celebrated their 50th anniversary in 2008, can make a comeback.

In China, the Smurfs marketing plan includes releasing Smurfs-themed books, music, clothing and toys by early 2011. In addition, Hainan Airlines will create a Smurfs plane for its Brussels-Shanghai non-stop flight.
smurf plane.... :shock:

Postby Tojo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:51 pm
Now that would be interesting to see :plane:
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby Tracker Smurf » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:32 pm
hmmm... that could be a new movie with Samuel L. Jackson...Smurfs on a Plane

"I'm sick of these #@$%@ Smurfs on this $#@%@ Plane."

Postby Cool Smurf » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:49 pm
I'd like to go there. 8)
Robin, you dog, you- Vanity "The Adventures of Robin Smurf"
Page 1 of 1

Login