Home of the Smurf Community

Local smurfy events and news. Announce news here that is local to your country / area.
Page 1 of 1
Postby bradley » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 am
http://www.licensing.biz/features/227/B ... light-IMPS
BLE NEW EXHIBITOR SPOTLIGHT: IMPS

Breaking News4Kids signs Chicaloca fashion brandDee takes over content reins, as Woodward departs CoolabiBLE NEW EXHIBITOR SPOTLIGHT: IMPSBLE NEW EXHIBITOR SPOTLIGHT: Backland StudiosBLE NEW EXHIBITOR SPOTLIGHT: SanrioThe Simpsons just keeps on growingFeaturesSubscribe to Features RSS FeedsNext ArticleClassic Media: The comeback kidsNext ArticleBLE NEW EXHIBITOR SPOTLIGHT: Backland StudiosYesterday at 6:07 pm
BLE NEW EXHIBITOR SPOTLIGHT: IMPSby Katie Roberts | Email a friend | PrintAdd a commentBookmark with Social network IMPS is relaunching the Smurfs at BLE in time for the new movie from Sony Columbia Pictures in 2011.

The Smurfs made its first appearance in 1958 in a story of Johan & Peewit in Le Journal de Spirou. At first, the Smurfs were secondary characters, but they soon became stars in their own right.

The cartoon was created by Pierre Culliford, better known as Peyo, and in 1984, his daughter, Veronique Culliford founded IMPS (stand 575).

The firm acts as general licensor for the brand and as distributor of the catalogue of 256 animated cartoons of the Smurfs for TV and DVD. IMPS also creates artwork for licensing and creates the Smurfs comic.

The Smurfs is represented worldwide with licensing deals across nearly all categories. One of the strongest products for IMPS has been the Smurf figurines from Schleich, with sales in excess of 400 million and over 500 characters created.

Music has always been key in the world of the little blue characters and in ten years, 16 million CDs have been sold in Europe and over 40 million CDs and records sold since the 70s.

Another key area the brand works well in is in promotional material. Over the last two years, three supermarket promotions have been run in Europe alongside a campaign with Kellogg’s, four with Ferrero, many deals with newspapers and on-pack promotions and competitions with existing licensees.

William Auriol, general manager of IMPS, explains the longevity and success of the brand: “Smurfs are a unique creation with their specific blue colour, the Smurf language and their village. The Smurfs are also vectors of important values such as respect, tolerance, wisdom, social exchanges, dialogues, attention, optimism and faith in the future. Today more than ever, companies need to reposition their image around characters representing those values that consumers turn to. 

“Moreover, the Smurfs are universal, present worldwide and timeless. They please to both boys and girl and also to hundreds of millions of adults that grew up with them. The Smurfs are unique in the world to offer a character and universe that appeals on so many levels. In the UK, it has such great heritage and goodwill and the time is perfect for the Smurfs to be reintroduced to what was such a successful territory.”

As such, at BLE, the firm is hoping to expand its UK licensing activity in general. Given the flexibility of the Smurf characters, the firm hopes to increase its representation in several sectors including untraditional sectors for licensing.

To aid it with its UK plans, IMPS has teamed up with The Licensing Company in order to re-launch the Smurfs

Auriol continues: “In the UK, we are looking to seed the adult market in the run up to the movie launch. We already have fantastic interest in both the kids and adult sectors and will be working very closely with the licensing company to build a long term programme for both the movie and way beyond.”
Not sure what the BLE expo is and when it is.

Postby Arnhem Smurfs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:04 am
Googled a bit further:

Brand Licensing Europe 2009
Sep 30—Oct 01, 2009
The Grand Hall- Olympia, London
Europe's premiere showcase for the licensing industry is looking to build on its successful event in 2008...

Exhibitor numbers for the Advanstar-organised show reached the 100 mark in early January, with many companies upping the size of their stand space on the showfloor.

The successful Screening Suite and TV Lounge will return, while the Licensing Academy seminar programme - which attracted 581 visitors in 2008 - will reflect the increasingly international tone of the event.

The 2008 show attracted 190 exhibitors (including 60 first timers) and 4,279 visitors from 60 countries. One in four visitors attended from mainland Europe - an increase of 32 per cent on 2007 - and one fifth of all exhibitors on the show floor were headquartered in mainland Europe.

Retailers also accounted for 15 per cent of all visitors, including buyers from European retailers Armedahis, Auchan, Carrefour and Smyk among others. There was also an eight per cent increase in retail buyers attending from major multiples.
http://www.brandlicensing.eu/

Postby André » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:29 am
Great info Brad.

Maybe some of our UK-members could go there and find some nice smurf-items. :-D :)

/André

Postby FlamingO » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:21 pm
Some positive news for UK smurf fans at last :cheer: :dance: :hyper: :cool:

Postby eggie smurf » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:38 pm
If it's anything like the licensing shows in America, then it's not open to the public :(
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby André » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:17 pm
That´s a shame.

Maybe Steve can use his Star Wars outfit and shoot himself inside. :-? Or maybe not?

/André

Postby SMURFSTEROCKS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:01 pm
Kinda sux when they leave the little people out.
(Website is only viewable on Internet Explorer)

Postby FlamingO » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:03 am
Maybe there will be some stuff at the show or maybe not... but what we really want to see is some UK licencing activity :D
...the time is perfect for the Smurfs to be reintroduced to what was such a successful territory.”
:smurf:

Postby CapriSmurf » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:22 pm
:banghead: Is this open to general public .. pay on the door?

Postby PVCBlue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:27 pm
:banghead: Is this open to general public .. pay on the door?
We have these at the World Trade Center here in Dallas - you have to be a retailer and sign up in advance and have proof of your affiliation when you enter, no general public allowed.

8)
"Smurfs, Smurfs, and More Smurfs!"

Postby steveparkes » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:43 am
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Smurfs back in the UK :shock: :shock: :shock: I never thought I'd live to see the day :dancing: :clap: :cloud9:

Right, on with the stormtrooper costume 'you don't need to see my identification' :)
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby southernyacht » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:15 pm
:-D :-D

Exciting news for the UK! Fingers crossed.

One thing I did notice was that Harrods in London are selling the new smurf beanies and plush. £11.95 for the beanies and £24.95 for the plushes :eek:

I would have taken pictures - but I didn't want to get kicked out of the shop :) 8)
Cathy x :cat:

Postby bradley » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:35 am
:-D :-D

Exciting news for the UK! Fingers crossed.

One thing I did notice was that Harrods in London are selling the new smurf beanies and plush. £11.95 for the beanies and £24.95 for the plushes :eek:

I would have taken pictures - but I didn't want to get kicked out of the shop :) 8)
That is great news Cathy! Although that seems very expensive? I have been told to visit Hamleys Toy store in London if I get the chance. Is it worth taking a look.. I like toy store :D

Postby Beers » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:20 am
Hamleys is a must visit place Brad :D
:stupidsmurf:

Postby southernyacht » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:16 pm
Hamleys is a must visit place Brad :D
Definitely! Although I always seem to get lost....... :-? :)

.....or hit by one of the demo helicopters/flying toys they have. :???:
Cathy x :cat:

Postby Beers » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:04 am
:) :) :)

I am not laughing at you Cathy, i just know what you mean :yikes:

:D
:stupidsmurf:
Page 1 of 1

Login