Home of the Smurf Community

Local smurfy events and news. Announce news here that is local to your country / area.
Page 1 of 1
Postby smurf_kollecta » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:24 pm
Interesting reading from TIME magazine...

It regurgitates a lot of stuff you all probably are familiar with but it is an interesting summary of the smurfs history and popcultural significance to mark the anniversary.

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,881 ... 03,00.html

...these white-capped, blue dwarfs are getting set for the silver screen: Paramount Pictures is currently developing a CGI 3D Smurf feature through its Nickelodeon Films unit that would bring the mischievous creatures to a whole new generation (the currently untitled movie is tentatively scheduled for a 2010 release). In parallel, IMPS (International Merchandising, Promotion & Services) which runs the Smurf empire, is working on its own new cutting-edge animation that could revive the dormant television series once again.
In recent years, Smurfs have had to endure online accusations that they were closet Communists, as they share everything in their idyllic village, wear the same uniform, and sing the same catchy song. And there is even a theory that their sworn enemies — evil wizard Gargamel, along with his mangy cat, Azrael — represent international capitalism. Peyo's family fiercely denies this and insists the stories are apolitical. But Peyo did use the Smurfs to satirize Belgium's endless language wars between French and Dutch speakers: in one album, he divides the village into two halves that fight over whether the term "smurf" should be used as a verb or as a noun.
The cartoons sparked a merchandise bonanza, and about 3,000 products and services have used the Smurf brand image, from McDonald's to VW, Coca-Cola and Kellogg's. Candy maker Haribo has sold more than 6.5 billion of its jellied Smurf sweets over the past two decades, while over 10 million Smurf CDs have been sold in the last three years alone. There was also a traveling ice show, a France theme park called Big Bang Schtroumpf (as well as Smurf attractions cropping up in five U.S. and Canadian theme parks), and the smash hit The Smurf Song by Dutch singer Father Abraham reached No. 1 in 16 countries back in 1977.

Postby Smurf1303 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:28 pm
Thanks for posting, have been following up about the theme part, are some really cool pictures here
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v19/b ... pfbigbang/

can totally imagine was there ... now if only I'd not wasting so much time on qualifications and jobs and had invented that time machine

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:41 am
I've been there!!

It was Walibi Schtroumpf! I have loads of plastic bags and stickers and stuff!

I will post pics when I move and unpack the boxes in Feb! I went in 1997! It was in Metz. I am only 15 in the pics tho, so you'll have to excuse the dodgy look!
www.britishcollectorsclub.com The Smurf Collectors Club

Postby Rachel » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:46 am
Thanks for posting, have been following up about the theme part, are some really cool pictures here
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v19/b ... pfbigbang/

can totally imagine was there ... now if only I'd not wasting so much time on qualifications and jobs and had invented that time machine
LOL! I know what you mean Helen. :-D

All the pics have been searched out by Brad, another member here from Australia. He is done a magnificent job of finding info and pics about the parks. :clap2: :adore:

Fantastic to hear you actually visited Walibi Schtroumpf Az, I am really looking forward to seeing your pics. :hyper:

Did you visit because you were into smurfs at the time or was it just by luck? I do hope it was the first. :grinning:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Azrael » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:37 am
I bought the Smurfs game for my game gear and there was a Walibi smurf advert in it!

I bugged my dad constantly and he eventually gave in. We went back the next year and it was amazing!

The thing is, which is crazy, that it only shut down 2 years ago! It's now called Walibi Crocodile or something equally rubbish!

I'll get the pics online in Feb when I move in! I bought all the super smurfs in the old boxes from there also... well, most of them! They were all avaerage prices back then!

Postby Rachel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:47 am
I bought the Smurfs game for my game gear and there was a Walibi smurf advert in it!

I bugged my dad constantly and he eventually gave in.
Even better than just by chance then. :hi5:
The thing is, which is crazy, that it only shut down 2 years ago!
Do you mean as a smurf theme park??? :-?

I had always been told it was years ago with regards to featuring smurfs and some of these discussions go back some 5 or 6 years! I'll be gutted to discover we could have visited it whilst it was still Schtroumpf Walibi.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:24 am
I'm trying to find the link, but last october I called a number from "Six Falgs:Europe" who apparently owned the Walibi company and said that it only changed, I think, two years ago.

When I went it was excellent (for a smurf collector), but very empty and in pretty dire condition.. Most of the smurfs had things missing from their hands etc. The best thing about it was the shops!

I'll see what I can find tonight.. If Laura has packed the pictures in the same box they should be pretty easy to open and scan!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope the woman on the phone was right and I am wrong.

Al

Postby Rachel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:43 pm
I'll keep my fingers crossed that the pics are easy to find. :fingersx:

Not long till the move now either. You are going to have soooooo much fun unpacking your smurfs and discovering items you had forgotten about. :-D

Postby swarlock » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:20 am
Very nice photos.
Friendship is everything.

Postby Rachel » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:16 am
Hi Al, just a quick update on the Walibi Schtroumpf discussion.

One of my pupils noticed my smurfy pencil case today and blurted out "I went to a smurf park in France!" Of course the lesson was instantly stopped as this was a very serious topic. I grilled her on all she knew. :lol:

It turms out that yes it was Walibi Schtroumpf and she thinks it must have been about 6 years ago as she is only ten now and thinks she was about four when she went. She remembers seeing lots of BIG smurf figures (remember she was only 4) and lots of smurfy things for sale in the shop. I have begged her to find any photos she has. :fingersx:

Thinking about it, I know her older sister in the comprehensive so I shall try and find her one day and interogate her too. :sherlock:

Postby Azrael » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:27 am
Excellent news Rach! So it seems it did only close recently... hopefully the smurf popularity will rise now and they will open it up again!! I can see Smurfs being a lot more popular that 'alligators' in the long run! :D

Now, to try and find the photos...

My parents are on holdiay at the mo (both retired so they always travel.. last month they brought me back a singer with plain songsheet from Japan!), but when they get back I'll ask them to upload the pics!

Only Two weeks till I move now!!!! Can't wait to 'unveil' all me bits!!

DO you think Smurfday may travel to wales?

Postby Rachel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:00 pm
Excellent to hear your parents got you the singer smurf with blank sheet, a nice variation. :-D
Only Two weeks till I move now!!!! Can't wait to 'unveil' all me bits!!

DO you think Smurfday may travel to wales?
Not long now. I know how excited you must be as I remember when we moved a few years ago and got to release the smurfs. :hyper:

I really don't know if they will make it to Wales. At first I thought there wasn't a chance of it but I suppose you just never know, especially if they are going to target smaller cities. :fingersx:
Page 1 of 1

Login