Home of the Smurf Community

Ask questions or discuss anything smurf related.
Page 1 of 2
Postby Papa Smurf » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:41 pm
Hi everyone,

Is there an English Version Of Smurfs Schlumpf Katalog IV that I can buy?

If not is is worth buying the german one?

I saw kitty's link here on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting

Postby Rachel » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:40 pm
Hi Papa, there isn't a good English guide I am afraid. The Schlumpf Katalog IV (that you mentioned) is very easy to understand. Every smurf has a picture and once you get the hang of it it is quite easy to get around.
If you do get stuck, Pete at Mushroom Village has great translations - Translations
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Papa Smurf » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:00 pm
Thanks Rachel. Kirry I will buy your book tonight! Cheers guys!

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:24 pm
I only bought this particular guide earlier this year would you believe? I have been selling smurfs since last summer and collecting since the late 1970's. I was put off by it being German but then someone told me it was really easy to understand so I caved in and bought one from Pete. It is brilliant and very easy to understand. I did recently suggest they publish an English version in ebook format which would then be very easily searchable and not cost too much money to produce! So who knows what may happen? I know they are not bringing out a new edition for another couple of years at least.

It is a fab book!

Karen

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:47 am
Thanks Kitty - you're star! - I can't wait to get the book. :grin:

Postby Papa Smurf » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:03 am
oops - I forgot to login...
Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:00 am
Hi

I am currently translating all the smurf descriptions in the catalogue and have done the first 100 so far. It's not that hard to read but I want to make sure I know exactly what it is saying. I should be finished in just over a week :o as I am doing about 50 or more smurfs a day. Once you start translating it you find you come across the same words time and again so it is getting a lot easier and I am learning German at the same time which will be very handy in this hobby.

Sydney Smurf

Postby Rachel » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:05 am
Well done Syd, that is one heck of a job.
Let us know how you are getting on. :-o

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:57 am
I will let you know once I am finished although it may be posted in German and I might have to read my translations to learn English once more.

I thought of translating it in ocker Australian.....but then I probably wouldn't even understand it. For example...

DESCRIPTION - Bloody bonza ripper shelia chick blonde stubbies that's done like a dog's dinner on a Mondee and shoved together like it's going out of fashion until it's fair dinkum rooted mate.
PRICE - Streuth..more expensive than a six pack of tinnies and a few Sundee snags. :sad:

See what I mean.

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:39 am
Just an update on the English translations I am doing for the Sclumpf Katalog. I have reached 200 on the regular smurfs after a short break last week and will continue to plough ahead to finish off the rest even though they will become incresingly easier towards the back end of the listings. I am learning so much about the variations while doing this and it should help me a great deal once I have finished. I probably will not do every single page in the Katalog but I will most likely add the promos/raws under each individual smurf and also add a check list so I can tick off each variation as I purchase them. I will let everyone know how everything is going over the next week or two.

Dyar
:?

Postby Papa Smurf » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:30 am
Are you doing it as a webpage or a word document?

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:28 am
As a word document. I don't think someone will be too happy with me if I put it on the web. :sad:

It will be a big help for me as I have a lot of variations and now I will be able to know exactly what I have and roughly what they might be worth, especially the ones in mint condition. It's also great to learn a bit of German as this hobby often requires a bit of translating.

Dyar
:-D
Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:08 am
Just writing to let you guys know that I have now finished translating all of the Regular smurfs and Christmas ornaments descriptions from the Katalog. I will now move on to the Super Smurfs and then the promos. It's taken a bit of effort but I am now actually enjoying the challenge and this will be so crucial when it comes to hunting down different variations.

Take care all

Dyar
:D

Postby Rachel » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:53 pm
Sounds like you are having fun and doing a great job at the same time. Can I ask you to translate it into Welsh when you have finished.
:D :D :D
Diolch Yn Fawr

(I am only joking ;) )

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:27 pm
I'm not sure there is enough memory in my computer to store the Welsh translations. Don't you guys have all those really looooooong words or am I mistaken. :o

Take care

Dyar

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:29 pm
So that's why Rachel always koooooooooooooooooooooool

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:47 pm
Yeah that and the coooooooooooooool weather

Dyar
:?

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:01 pm
Ooooooooops I forgot to log in.

Stereophonics are one of my fav bands, they're from Wales and they are really koooooooooool tooooooooo.

logged in Dyar
:o

Postby Rachel » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:48 pm
:D :D :D :D :D

Just to explain, as Karen knows I do have "quite" a strong Welsh accent but the words can get quite long in the Welsh language.

This is the name of a small village in North Wales:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :-D

And yes I can say it!

:grin: :-D :grin: :-D

Hey Dyar, Stereophonics are cooooooooooool ;)

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Hi Rachel

I'm not Welsh but my full name is

Andrew Draka-Dica Shaman Dionysus Taylor

Fortunately that isn't one word so it doesn't really count does it?

I tried to find an Australian town with a title that might match at least half of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :o
but I would be lying if I said there was one and I would be very proud of myself if I could pronounce all of that. It actually looks like my typing late at night where I hit all the wrong keys. I noticed there is this sequence of words towards the end that make the word "sili" :grin: . No I can't knock a name like that it's just so amazing that you have to think it's very cool.

I would like to know what they were thinking when they named that place though. Imagine trying to write that address down on one envelope.

Thanks for sharing Rachel

Dyar
Page 1 of 2

Login