Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:27 am
I am really into Feves, they are the little figures that came in Epiphany Cakes, a French festival I believe, perhaps David can tell me more?

I have a few sets of these, there are four different sets shown on the pic below. What I find interesting is that the markings differ on the two baby sets, one set has Peyo in joined up signature type lettering and the other is block capitals, and the sizes differ slightly. Anyway, I would love to know more about these, how many different smurf sets of Feves there are and when they started putting these in the cakes? If anyone has any information please could you post here about it? Thank you. :D

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:50 am
Ok I found this info.
Hand painted "feves des rois" are used in France to celebrate "Epiphany" in early January.
During this period, all bakeries make a special cake called "la galette des rois". One "feve des rois" is introduced in each cake before baking .
The lucky one who gets the "feve des rois" receives a paper crown and is the "king of the day".
Most "feves des rois" measure 25 mms (1 inch) maximum.

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:10 pm
Hi Karen, you have a nice collection of Feves. Ive often looked at these and thought that they would be nice to add to the collection. I must say they are on my wish list of smurfs to buy :D Lucie

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:13 pm
Well I found out they used to put beans in the cakes and then they changed it to these ceramic figurines. Perhaps to kickstart the French dental industry? :) :) :)

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:18 pm
:) :) :) :) Have you come across any with teeth marks in Karen :D Lucie
Postby Chellobe » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:08 pm
Hi, here is a picture of the feve I have, the two rows at the back are shiny.
Mad about smurf
Postby Chellobe » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:15 pm
Karen,

The feve serie you have at the back has been re-issued with 14 feve instead of 10 (Johan,...).
I have seen a catalogue of feve and I think you and I are missing one serie, but as I don't have such a catalogue it's difficult to check but I'll check in 3 weeks time. Usually those series of 10-14 feves are sold between 15 and 20€ per serie.

Chellobe
Mad about smurf

Postby eggie smurf » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:57 pm
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:14 pm
Yes they are Stace..........I have some feves including 3 spares I think.....I will post a pic tonight. I may also have some info regarding the different series that someone sent to me a while back so I will see if I can dig that out.

Postby SA Smurfette » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:48 pm
I have the winter sports ones that Staci posted a link of.

I think their cute :D

I wouldn't mind getting the Shiny ones Chellobe mentioned, and the babies 8)

Raelene

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:15 am
I noticed one picture on the web which showed the babies shiny whereas mine aren't, another variation? Or are they faking feves? I can't believe that! :)

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:20 am
Hereare the feves that I have in my collection...I have 3 spares from this series but I'm not sure which ones off hand.

I also have pics of all of them but they are not my pics as they were sent to me by a friend so I might have to seek permission before posting them.

Postby XoioX2000 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:19 am
Hi Karen,

I think you have said everything there is to say about "la galette des rois" apart from maybe that these galettes are really really really nice to eat...

Well that's when you can get some, cause usually you have to fight some greedy kids who don't want to share... cause they all want to be kings... but there can be only one... Short of having to resort to sword fights in dark alleyways "highlander style", and to keep the youth population alive, the "Boulanger" decided to put 2 feves in some cakes... which created great confusion in some household, as then, there had to be a king and a queen at the table...

This is only the start of the great confusion that followed when young boys got the Queen's feve and also when some queens did not want to have "that" for king.

That's only to mention a few of the problems. Finally in 1789 the "boulanger" decided to do away with the kings and queens and choppped their head off... Obviously this was taken far too seriously by some people somewhere near "la Bastille" and the rest is history.

:)

Kids: if you have an essay to write about the French revolution, feel free to use the text above... :):):) ok ok maybe not so...

Now that we cleared where these "feves" come from, below are the 2 sets I have...
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:16 am
OK, great, now I like these too :angry: I have yet another series to add to my ever growing list of smurfs I NEED to get.

Thanks for that, Karen :) :)
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby XoioX2000 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:25 am
There are "lots" of them on eBay France!

:) :)
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby Rachel » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:53 pm
:) :) :) :) Have you come across any with teeth marks in Karen :D Lucie
:haha: Nice one Lucie. :)

Thanks for all the info guys, these are cute items. :D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]
Page 1 of 1

Login