Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby XoioX2000 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:29 am
I didn't get round to tell you what happened on the way back from Passion... so here it is...

As Karen mentioned, there was a bit of "precision packing" on the way out from passion: Fortunately I have an estate car and we managed to pack 3 passengers, their luggage and a lot of Smurf goodies in it... but I kept forgetting things: like the Olympic stadium: we were all ready to go and fortunately, I went back in to say goodbye to Xavier... and that's how I remembered to pick the stadium up. And then as I walked outside, thinking "I have spent enough Euros now, it's time to go", I realised that I forgot to pick up the bully shelves!!! So I did put the stadium behind Karen's head in the car and run back in to pick up the shelves. By then everybody thought it was comical that I was running back in and everytime coming out with something else... and sure enough, I grabbed the shelves and added a Belgium Red Cross to the loot!

After some lunch, I dropped Karen, Rachel and Steve to the train station, I re-arrange the loot so that "big thing" in the boot would not move about (as I know it was relatively fragile) and headed for the motorway...

Sure enough I arrived in Calais well before time and managed to get the car on an earlier ferry, and doing so, went through French customs... A French custom officer stood in front of the car, putting his hand up and said "Stop"!

He asked me for my papers and asked me to open the boot. He had a good look and asked what was that "big thing" in bubble wrap... As I explained I made a small tear in the bubble wrap so that he could see what was under. He placed his hand inside and said "Ok, c'est bon".... I got back in the car and boarded the ferry.

I am not sure if I rung Karen to tell her that her Smurf had been "detected" at that point: I was so tired that I went straight to some seats in a quiet part of the boat and crashed there to sleep. Surely enough I must have slept solidly, as my alarm woke me up just minutes before we arrived.

Back in the car, I came out the ferry and headed for the British customs...

There was a least 6 custom officers on each side of the column of cars queuing to go through... and as I drove level with them, sure enough, one stepped out and pointed me to go into the side lane which leads to the search garage!

I parked there and the officer came up to the window. He asked me where I had been, where I was going and how long I had been away for... he then asked me to open the boot. When he saw the loot, he asked me again where I had been. Fortunately I had printed the poster of passion and all the directions to get to it and showed them to him.

He asked me if I had met with anyone there, and I explained that yes, I had met up with other collectors from the UK as well as some from other European countries.

He got me to take some of the bags out of the boot, which then revealed the "big thing" in bubble wrap in the center of the boot...

He made a larger hole in the bubble wrap and touch the ceramic below, as I explained that Smurfs came in all sorts of shape and sizes... He smiled, asking "and what do you do with them?"

Now at that point, I am not sure if it was because I was tired or because I had just woken up from sleeping on the ferry, but all sorts of very weird answers came flying into my mind... including some particularly rude ones (probably some came from Syd's influence) ... but I very calmly said, "well it depends, some I keep and some I trade..." He said "ok" and walked off with my passport and the passion poster and maps, while I put the bags back in the boot.

I saw him chatting with another officer, going through the papers, both smiling! When he came back, he handed me back my documents, smiled and said, "It's ok, just wait a second and we will open the main door". Sure enough, seconds later a huge metal garage door was lifted up and I was allowed to go through!!!!

So Karen's Papa Smurf did make it to the UK, however his clandestine attempt to enter the country was discovered!

Still, you'll see below that he has arrived safe and sound! My daughter keeps begging me to keep it, and funnily enough, even Mrs XoioX2000 liked it! Now she has said that she would not mind something like that in the garden! I was shocked: I know what I'll bring back next year then!!!!

Papa Smurf is now ready for his transit to Peterborough!

:):):):)

:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby Rachel » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:11 am
Hi David, Thanks for telling the story. :D

You did phone to tell us as you were stopped each time which made it even funnier as we then discussed it on our train and the nearby passengers wanted to know what was going on. :lol:

When I told Richard the story his immediate reaction was
I bet the custom guys phoned through from the other side to say "stop the grey estate car if you want a laugh!".........
I just love that Papa smurf, I think he is so cute. :gimme:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:47 am
He placed his hand inside and said "Ok, c'est bon"....

WHAT?!!!!!!

You let that man touch up my Papa Smurf? :yikes: :yikes::yikes:

My poor Papa, he will never be the same again! :( :(

:) :) :)

Postby XoioX2000 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:43 pm
Well, Karen I am sorry: he did touch Papasmurf...

But you see, I sort of knew better than arguing with him really.... coz he had too many mates waiting around... some of them had guns... honest: big ones!

Cheers,

David
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby eggie smurf » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:16 pm
That was great - I laughed so loud, Jason wanted to know what was funny :) That is one incredible Papa -- Agent Green I would try sending a smaller papa to Karen with a note from customs so you can keep this big one :o
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:18 pm
Cool story David....and I probably would of thought of something 'not quite appropriate' to say when the officer asked "What do you do with them?" too.

I love the Papa....okay I want one of them now.....you guys are killing me. He is gorgeous though......you guys are so lucky.....I might try paddling Australia closer to Europe......Linda, you start from your side.....Raelene and Trish you can be the motor paddles at the back.....just PM either Linda or me to let us know if we need to start paddling left or right ok :D

I am sure we can make a Smurf Passion within 200 years no swe.....well with a lot of sweat I suppose....not that I am saying you other Aussies sweat...oh,no, no, no.....been there done that mistake....you of course glow........NOW GET PADDLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyar

PS - If any countries ask what are we doing as we enter European waters.....just tell them that we are Austria.....that should do the trick :D

Postby attombomb7 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:34 pm
hi David...

I giggled at your funny story..and pictured you running in and luckily remembering stuff..

thank goodness...if you had forgot those big item..how much trouble they would be to ship..

luckily that border officer thought you were nuts! heheheh:0 I assume he did! oops!

nice smurf too!:) and a nice pic of your daughter
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website
Hogatha's Fake and licenced Smurfs collection

http://mennoblue.net/
(my fake smurf collection ):)

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:15 am
luckily that border officer thought you were nuts!
and he would be right, wouldn't he? LOL :) :) :)

The people on the train were giggling away when they heard my end of that conversation on the train.

I actually very nearly bought two of these big smurfs, I wanted a lazy digger as well, but I didn't dare ask David to bring 2 home for me, I was very, very tempted though! This was the beauty of getting into the fair at 6am, because most of the good ones of these were sold before the fair actually started.

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:38 pm
David, your story is so funny. Fancy being stopped for smuggling smurfs. Karen i absoloutely love your papa smurf. It would look great in a garden but im afraid that if we had one naughty pudsley would pee on it :shock: Lucie

Postby Bunno Smurf » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:28 pm
Great story, David :D
:star: LINDA :star:
Page 1 of 1

Login