Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby DrunkSmurf » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:54 pm
I had (I probably still have somewhere) a smurf album from the 1980s called Father Abraham. I think I ordered it from television. At the time, I was too young to realize Father Abraham refers to the Biblical figure. What did Abraham have to do with the smurfs? I guess "Father Abraham" was just the lead track so they gave him the cover? (Cover depicts cartoon smurfs and a real human actor with a beard).

Incidentally, you can create your own smurf albums by running the album at 2X speed. Some CD players will let you do that. My mom taught us that --probably after she got disgusted at buying these corny albums.

"The smurfs all-star show!
"We're gonna have a good time
"We know, we know, we know.
"The smurfs all-star....."

Postby JT » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:09 pm
I wouldn´t know anything about these Smurf albums, but did you read Fram´s post http://www.kittyscavern.com/forum/viewt ... 97&start=0
There seems to be several father Abraham albums.

Janne

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:54 am
What did Abraham have to do with the smurfs?
I always wondered what all that was about! I haven't got a clue about biblical figures either!

Postby Fram » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:39 am
The man is Pierre Kartner, and his artist name is Father (or Vader) Abraham. He has made many records, first with a band called 'The sons' or 'The seven sons' (don't remember exactly), hence his name.
In 77, he made a record with the Smurfs, and it became an instant massive hit in the Netherlands and Belgium (N°1 single and album). Then he made versions in French, German, English, and perhaps some other languages (Spanish, Italian?), and many of those were hits as well.
Afterwards, he continued making records, but none of those was as successful. The last I heard, he was planning on making his version of the ridiculous German hit 'Schni Schna Schnappi'...
I got the Smurf record when I was little, like every Flemish kid in those days. It was my first Smurfy item, and perhaps the least rare :)
:sheep: Bored of normality, why not go smurf? :sheep:

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:46 am
Yes I have the original English version from when I was little and also the single Christmas in Smurfland.

There was also a single by Jonathan King released in the UK, more details below: -
A scare story that claimed Smurf figurines used leaded paint circulated in Britain in the 1970s, leading Jonathan King to release a single, Lick a Smurp for Christmas (All Fall Down) under the name of Father Abraphart and the Smurps.

Postby SA Smurfette » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:50 am
Well my favourite smurf song is "Smurfing Beer"

Beer, Beer, Smurfing beer,
You don't get drunk and it is'nt dear. :D

Very cute song :D

Raelene

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:23 am
Hi up there....I haven't heard that smurf beer song...but it sounds really cool. Is that on the father Abe LP or is it from elsewhere?

Dyar

Postby SA Smurfette » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:27 am
Hi Dyar,

It's from the Father Abraham in Smurland LP.
I don't have the album though.

Kirk downloaded it from Kazaa, Shareaza or Emule.

I can send you copy or email it to you if you want :D File size is 2744kb

Raelene

Postby DrunkSmurf » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:56 am
Were the smurf singers on those albums part of an actual group, or were they just hired off the street for the voices? I mean, who were they?

Postby Fram » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:18 am
I can't remember them being mentioned on the album, but I have to check.

Postby Fram » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:20 am
I was overbid just now on an auction for this ugly thing :lol:

Postby DrunkSmurf » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:12 pm
Father Abraham kind of freaks me out.

I wonder if smurfs ruined his career? I guess they made his career, but, in America at least, he'd be typecasted forever as "smurf singer."

"Didn't you sing, like, with the smurfs? We don't do smurfs here, Abe. Call Disney. Next."

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:37 pm
You're right Tim...if I saw Father Abraham walking down the street I would say "G'day Abes...so where exactly is the smurf village?...don't worry I am a smurf lover and wouldn't sell them off to Gargs for anything".

Dyar

PS - In which case Mr Abe would probably just keep walking pretending to be deaf.

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:39 pm
Hi Raelene

I would love you to send me a copy of that album.

Let me know if you would like any music as I have more CDs than I have smurfs.

Dyar
Page 1 of 1

Login