Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 1
Postby bwalters » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:50 pm
In June 1968 we got a call that my brother-in-law had been killed in viet nam. We were told his platoon was attacked and he was killed by a sniper. End of Story. Not quite last Sunday my nephew contacted me on facebook to ask me a favor. He asked if I would go to his dad's grave and take pictures for him I did so and sent the to him. In the prossess we were talking and he told me he had been in contact with a few of the guy's that were with him the night he died. He learned that the enemy did not kill him. His commanding officer murdered him. Talk about a shock that was 41 years ago. I was only 15 when he died so I never really got to know him. But he was my sisters husband so I hurt too. I guess NCIS has confirmed that it was murder and are reopening an investigation. I'll keep you inform if I find out more.
Mr Bill

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:41 am
That sounds terrible. See they start a war, just because they are interested in material goods and blame the enemy. :( I'll be thinking of you, Bill. :hug:

Postby bwalters » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:41 am
Thanks Dom; Most of my family found out yesterday, and while most of them like I was don't remember a whole lot about him. I was 15 when he was killed and had a girlfriend of my own. Except for my three sisters everone was younger.
Mr Bill

Postby Tojo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:35 am
:shock: :shock: :shock: That is a shocking thing to hear Bill :shock:
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby bwalters » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:34 am
Yes after 41 years of thinking the enemy had shot him it was quite a shock. My Nephew wrote me today. He said NCIS and the Attorney Generals office re-opened the case and are talking to those that were there that night. I don't know what they will do about it. My hope is that if the guy who did it has also passed. That his family not know this, but it is up to my sister and nephew.
Mr Bill

Postby eggie smurf » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:35 am
Whoa, extremely shocking....that is horrible for your family. I don't even know what to say :grouphug:
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:49 pm
That is a hug shock Bill. Going to war is dangerous enough without having to fear your own guys.

I would be furious if this happened to me or to someone close to me that I knew.

Let us know what happens from here

Dyar

Postby bwalters » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:43 am
Thanks everyone. This was a very bad year for my family, my brother-in-law in June and then my father was killed in a horrific accident in Oct. (The accident was Oct 30 but he died Nov 14th). Two guys were raceing and one lost control and hit my fathers bread truck doing 140 mph. Both autos exploded and my father was thrown 150 feet but he was on fire. He had very severe burns of 65% of his body. I didn't recognize him. I only knew it was him when he spoke. (which he didn't do very offten he was in shock and very heavly medicated).
Mr Bill

Postby Lia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:56 am
What a tragedies, poor Bill.....
This really is too much for one family to bear ( but it happens)

Lia

Postby bwalters » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:05 am
Thanks Lia. He asked me to go with him that night, as I did quite often on Friday nights. But the two girls that lived next to us had invited me to their holloween party. They were college girls I was 16. The last thing my dad said to me was. (Don't bring any girls in here, Unless you bring one for me.)
Mr Bill

Postby Lia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:46 am
at least, he managed to keep his sense of humor

Lia

Postby bwalters » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:03 pm
Sorry to mislead you Lia. He said that the night he had the accedent. I don't think he ever really spoke after that. I'm fairly sure he was in shock and highly medicated. He spent most of the time upside down. He often mumbled a name he called my nephew who's dad was killed. (Pumpkin) But other than that I don't think he spoke, at least not to me.
Mr Bill

Postby Lia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:27 pm
I see!
Very sad indeed, especially because you were only 16.

Must be so confusing ,after all this time, to hear the true story about your brother-in-law. I`m curious to hear how transparant the US army deals with this matter.

Lia

Postby bwalters » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:00 pm
I don't know the whole story but my nephew said that NCIS found the files on it and confirmed it was murder. If they knew that 41 years ago why didn't they do something then.
Mr Bill

Postby Tojo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 pm
It sounds almost as if someone was trying to cover it up. maybe someone was bribed :-? I think it would be hard to say for certain what happened after all these years.
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby bwalters » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:25 pm
I remember things from a lot longer ago than that, and with a lot less impact. I know if I watched someone get murdered I would remember every detail forever. I watched one man die 35 years ago and I remember everything. I couldn't even get near him. The whole area was on fire. There were two other also killed but were already dead when I got there. Two more survied that accident and they were the one's that caused it all. Actually the wind was really high and blew their VW in front of a gasoline truck it swerved to miss them and another car drove underneath the truck.
Mr Bill

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:15 am
Those are awful news. :( :( Sending my condolences over to you, Bill. :hug:

Postby stampysmurf » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:38 am
I'm sorry to hear of your horrible news Bill. Hope you and your family can mend your sad hearts.
Page 1 of 1

Login