Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Tojo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:58 pm
I'm a bit bored here at work at the moment & have just been thinking about some of the cd's that I bought last year. Most of them were old stuff (blues, rock etc) but I did buy a couple of 'modern' cd's as well.

My 2 favourites are:-

1) The Black Crowes - Warpaint
2) Alanis Morissette - Flavors of entanglement

closely followed by Peter Fox - Stadtaffe

I was just wondering whether anyone else has a favourite cd from 2008?
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:38 am
@Tojo: I bought "Stadtaffe" about two weeks ago. Love it. :clap:

Don't ask me how many cds and records etc. I bought throughout last year. To me, music is like oxygene, I just can't do without it. :D

My favourite albums for 2008 were:

Coldplay- Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
Duffy- Rockferry
Snow Patrol- A Hundred Million Suns
John Legend- Evolver (Can't wait to attend his show in Cologne in March)
Amy McDonald- This is the Life

I dare say, that I was slightly disappointed of the latest albums by Anastacia and Delta Goodrem albums. :(

Postby agent smurf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:28 am
Hello Tojo my favourite Black Crowes album was 'By your side' but I think I've grown up by now. Would you recommend the latest one as well, I haven't bought it yet? thanks so much for your help. :D

Postby Tojo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:43 pm
I'd definitely recommend it Gert. The Black Crowes sort of lost their way over the years & went a bit downhill (by their standards - still better than most other bands :) ) but this cd takes them back to their southern blues roots again. I love this cd :cheers:

Postby Pickle Smurf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:38 am
My favourite ones I bought last year were: -

Rockferry - Duffy
Radiohead Greatest Hits

Postby agent smurf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:37 pm
I also didn't buy the Radiohead best of cd because I have all the tracks already anyway except maybe 2 on the bonus disc, do you have the 2cd edition Karen?

Thanks to Tojo for the review, maybe I can get it cheap on ebay.
My favourite cds were maybe Glasvegas and the new Bloc Party album.

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:54 pm
I have bought a ton of cds in 2008.....I guess that's why the smurfs were not as many as in previous years but cds are just so much cheaper over here in the US than they are in Australia so I am forced to take advantage of that.

My favourite from 2008 were:

Counting Crows - Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings
ACDC - Black Ice
Pete Murray - Summer at Eureka

There are probably others but these were some of my faves

Dyar

Postby misszell » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:41 pm
i LOVE all your choices dyer!!........cold play must be my fave ........are you here in the US of A now?!?!?......if so welcome!!.....we have our Problems but hopefully they will show who is boss this year.....haaa...i'm joking......but want to be serious :-? ....i honestly think that good things are to come....so if you live here or not.......wooooo hooooo!!

Postby Tojo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:02 am
My favourite from 2008 were:

Counting Crows - Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings
ACDC - Black Ice
Pete Murray - Summer at Eureka

There are probably others but these were some of my faves

Dyar
It's funny, but I've heard of Coldplay & Counting Crows but never heard anything by them so I'll have to rectify that. I've not heard of Pete Murray though.

I have the new AC/DC cd too & was pleasantly surprised by it. The last LP I bought by them was 'For those about to rock' back in 1981. 'Black Ice' sounds as good & it's hard to imagine that there's a gap of 27 years between them!!

Postby Azrael » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 am
I have 27 Dreams by Paul Weller as my top. Its very "Dark Side of the Moon" which is why I like it so much!

Oh, and Oasis' new one also grew on me. The first half is the best stuff in tep years... but the last three songs are rubbish, sadly.
www.britishcollectorsclub.com The Smurf Collectors Club

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:49 am
@Al: I love Paul Weller. Unfortunetly I wasn't able to listen to his latest album, but I will certainly give it a listen, once my workload for this semester is done. Btw. what is your radio show doing?

Postby FlamingO » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:06 pm
Snow Patrol- A Hundred Million Suns
I agree :-D two of my favourite bands. I like new albums cause it usually means concerts :)) . Coldplay were fantastic (this time around :lol: ) and Snow Patrol soon :danceban:
Radiohead Greatest Hits
and my other favourite :cheers: . Still the best band I've ever seen live :band: :clap3:

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:25 am
i LOVE all your choices dyer!!........cold play must be my fave ........are you here in the US of A now?!?!?......if so welcome!!.....we have our Problems but hopefully they will show who is boss this year.....haaa...i'm joking......but want to be serious :-? ....i honestly think that good things are to come....so if you live here or not.......wooooo hooooo!!
Hi misszell and thank you for your welcome. Yes I am currently freezing in the USA at the moment but I am missing the warm weather at home. However the cds are cheaper over here so it's a good place to be if you like music.

I hope things improve not only for the US but for everyone around the world who is doing it tough at the moment. I am not sure if I am doing it tough as I am either just too thick or I just constantly live inside a bubble where everything appears to be cheerful.
It's funny, but I've heard of Coldplay & Counting Crows but never heard anything by them so I'll have to rectify that. I've not heard of Pete Murray though.

I have the new AC/DC cd too & was pleasantly surprised by it. The last LP I bought by them was 'For those about to rock' back in 1981. 'Black Ice' sounds as good & it's hard to imagine that there's a gap of 27 years between them!!
I may have to add something to listen to in your smurf package Tojo. :D I have converted Stace to several artists from back home and from around the world that I was already into....and she has done the same for me too.
I have 27 Dreams by Paul Weller as my top. Its very "Dark Side of the Moon" which is why I like it so much!

Oh, and Oasis' new one also grew on me. The first half is the best stuff in tep years... but the last three songs are rubbish, sadly.
I like Paul Weller but I haven't heard his new album yet Al....I might have to look out for that one. I picked up the new Oasis album throughout the year as well as Radiohead's GH but haven't had a chance to hear much of the new Oasis one.

I currently have about 32 days worth of music in my itunes and probably several many times that on a portable hard drive. I am hoping to pick up another 2 120gb ipods in the next month or so, as I need one for Australian music, one for Nth American artists & another ipod for European artists. If I run out of room with those 3 ipods then I may have to jump in front of a train or something. Anyway I think that ipods (and other mp3 players) & itunes are the best thing that's happened in music for a long time (personally) as it has meant that I have been able to listen to a lot more music than I used to, and have been able to compile music files from so many different formats all into the one place. Whether they are beneficial for the music business in the long run may be another story. I personally prefer to buy cds rather than just buy a download but I like using itunes to compile and sort my music.

Does anyone know what happened to the 160gb ipods? They were available for only a short time before they seem to of disappeared from the retail sector.

Oops....I'm waffling again :o .....yes yes yes I know.....a stick in the ear again for misbehaving :(

Dyar

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:10 am
Amazon.com still has some

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_etk_c ... 60+gb+ipod

Apparently, Apple discontinued them because of some problems

http://discussions.apple.com/search.jsp ... ID=1790927

You may really have to get two Ipods per region :winks:
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/
===============================

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Azrael » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:17 am
Ah, well the Oasis on is very good Dyar, but it certainly loses momentum towards the end. If you like Paul Weller you will prob like it..

Actually, the first song on it sounds very Kings of Leon.

Dom, if you like Paul Weller you have to get the new album! It's awesome!! :-D
www.britishcollectorsclub.com The Smurf Collectors Club

Postby Tojo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:04 pm
Carrying on from Dyar's comments about mp3 players, I bought a 16GB player from Cowin/iAudio last autumn & am so happy with it. At the moment I have my complete blues collection on it (over 3000 songs) & it's still only about half full.

The great thing is that by cioonnecting it the AUX port on the back of my hifi systems I can listen to the music without having to get out of my seat for about 3 weeks :)

That's only theory of course as I haven't been able to convince the children to keep going to the cellar to get me another beer so I have to do it myself :banghead: :cheers:
Page 1 of 1

Login