Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 2
Postby Nivid » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:19 pm
Hi everyone!

I liked (and still do) The Smurfs, Mickey and Minnie, He-Man, the smell of Strawberry Shortcake, Gas Station Toys, Pac-Man, Nintendo, Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtels, The Simpsons, Madonna, Sex Pistols, Iggy, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Courtney Love, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, ect............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nivid :hiya:

Postby Rachel » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:14 am
Hi Nivid,

well I suppose smurfs would be top of my list but I do still love playing video games, both the newer ones as well as the retro ones like Pac Man,

I would love to still own my chopper bike but unfortunately it has been long gone and I probably wouldn't get further than the end of our street

my favourite music is still the stuff I listened to when I was a teen

and my favourite comedies are definitely ones that I watched as a kid, especially Absolutely Fabulous (well anything with French and / or Saunders) and anything Monty Python.

Interesting topic. :-D
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby ChunkMasterMC » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Hi Nivid,

Good post!!!

I love playing Super Mario World and Zelda on my Nntendo 64 (not that I get much time these days). I love listening to 70's and 80's music. The smell of Strawberry Shortcake is nice!!! I admire Garfields tenacity. And of course...The Smurfs. I loved watching a cartoon called the Mysterious Cities of Gold (dunno if anyone else remembers this).
and my favourite comedies are definitely ones that I watched as a kid, especially Absolutely Fabulous (well anything with French and / or Saunders) and anything Monty Python.
:omg: And my most favorite comedians are Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders!!! Ab Fab is the BEST comedy of all time!!! I love it and have every episode on DVD!!! If I could ever meet Dawn French I would give her a big hug and say how thankful I am to her for her beautiful and funny charachters she has played. She rocks!!! :mosh:
ChunkMasterMC :music:

Postby Nivid » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:41 pm
I have to agree with you both, i love French and Saunders, and of course AB FAB.

I'm also glad that French and Saunders decided to have a comeback tour!
:-D :-D :-D :-D
Nivid :hiya:

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:59 am
Geez, what a tough question....ok I liked these things

Slurpees, smurfs, Cold Chisel, Wacky Races, Bugs Bunny, Star Wars, Lego, INXS, Midnight Oil, posters on my bedroom walls, Marilyn getting beaten up in Sydney at a Kings Cross pub, Blue Light Discos, Mr Men books, Atari, Nintendo, Kevin Smith movies, Cable TV, Mad About You, Rugby League, The Muppets, Sexame Streak, Hey Hey It' Saturday, Agro, The Simpsons, Luna Park, The Young Ones, Monty Python, Dogs In Space, the fact not everybody in Neighbours tried to sing, vegemite, Molly Meldrum & Countdown, Kim Wilde :o, the fact I never grew up with the nauseating Barney the Dinosaur, Juke & Rolling Stone Magazine, Pink Panter, Snoopy & Charlie Brown.

Dyar

Postby FlamingO » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:27 pm
Hi Nivid :hiya:

I guess for me it would be Smurfs :-D , Tiswas, Roller Skates (and skating at Roller Disco), Smash Hits, Blackadder, your walkman and Spectrum + (and OK I hate to admit it now but Neighbours AND Home & Away :???: )

:cheers:

Postby Rachel » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:48 pm
Good to see Tiswas and Blackadder featuring Sue, I am with you there. I also have to admit to being a Neighbours and Home And Away fan when I was younger. :-D
If I could ever meet Dawn French I would give her a big hug and say how thankful I am to her for her beautiful and funny charachters she has played. She rocks!!!
Do you know what Renee, I would do exactly the same thing. Something I have often thought about as I really would love to meet her. :cheers:

I also have every Ab Fab DVD, video, book, t-shirt plus most other French & Saunders DVDs so it is great to hear that both you and Nicid are fans too. There is also another HUGE Ab Fab on the forum too isn't there Christy. :-D

Sweety Darling!! SWEETY DARLING!!!!!!

:adore: :worship:

Postby Tojo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:05 am
Hmm... Here are some of my faves.

Buzzcocks, Tubeway Army, The Jam, Nirvana, Silverchair, Soundarden, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, The Stranglers, Young Ones, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Comic Strip Presents, Pete & Dud / Derek & Clive, Sharpe, Lord of the Rings, smurfs, Swapshop on Saturday mornings, 2000 AD comic, Ricicles (in the days when Noddy was on the box - I've still got a flexidisc from Kelloggs of 'Noddy at the seaside' which still just about plays :) ), Thunderbirds, Wallace & Gromit, Action Man, Subbuteo................

I think the list is pretty much endless :) :cheers:
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:31 am
I agree Tojo.....and how could I forget Fawlty Towers and also Black Adder too. Classic shows.

Dyar

Postby Tojo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:47 am
Oops! I forgot Black Adder. I loved the series with Miranda Richardson as Queen Elizabeth I & starring Rik Mayall :) :) Simply hilarious

Postby ChunkMasterMC » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:26 am
Do you know what Renee, I would do exactly the same thing. Something I have often thought about as I really would love to meet her. :cheers:

I also have every Ab Fab DVD, video, book, t-shirt plus most other French & Saunders DVDs so it is great to hear that both you and Nicid are fans too. There is also another HUGE Ab Fab on the forum too isn't there Christy. :-D

Sweety Darling!! SWEETY DARLING!!!!!!

:adore: :worship:
You are my Hero Rachel!!! :adore::adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:

I loved French and Saunders in their recent live show!!! We don't get them much on tele over here. I only know of them as I am such an Ab Fab fan.

What is your fav Ab Fab episode? Mine changes...but I keep coming back to the Birth episode in Series 2. A classic!!! :-D

I love Series 4 as well...a hard choice I know!!! :o

I love that there are Ab Fab fans on here!!!

You guys rock!!! :mosh:
ChunkMasterMC :music:

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:39 pm
the fact I never grew up with the nauseating Barney the Dinosaur, Juke & Rolling Stone Magazine, Pink Panter, Snoopy & Charlie Brown.

Dyar
Yeah, I pity my poor daughter who will instinctively look back on the teletubbies as a symbol of childhood joy and innocence.

"Inky Blinky, Dipsy, La-La, Po!
Teletubbies, Teletubbies
Sighhhh ehhhhh-lo! ("Say hello")
=============================
"Where have the teletubbies gone?"
=============================
I started her watching smurf cartoons, though. And she seems to like those. Actually, most of those Hanna-Barbera stories have some sort of message, so smurf cartoons are probably better kid shows than most of the wacky stuff on the air.

Postby Rachel » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:11 am
What is your fav Ab Fab episode?
Hi Renee, well I love them all but I think my all time favourite would have to be either France or the Isolation Tank. Mind you, there are bits in almost every episode that makes me cry laughing. :sofunny:

Have you seen Wild Wets? It is one of the more recent things with Dawn French in which is, as normal, exceptionally good. :-D

Postby Tojo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:55 am
I forgot to mention Vicar of Dibley above which always has me in tears when I watch it. I loved the episode when Alice made cuddly elephants & used cooked noodles to stuff them :)

I must admit that all the episodes of Absolutely Fabulous that I've seen just didn't make me laugh :-? I prefer really daft things like Father Ted.

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:41 am
I agree Tojo.....and how could I forget Fawlty Towers and also Black Adder too. Classic shows.

Dyar
I liked Red Dwarf a lot until the last season or so.

This is a really old, obscure show, but has anyone heard of "Blake's 7"? It was a sort of edgy British sci-fi show that run for 4 seasons from 1977-81. I caught it on reruns in the mid-1980s. What I think attracted most people's interest was the character, Kerr Avon, who played the role of "questioner" (like Han Solo in Star Wars). Avon heckled everybody's ideals and ideas--unlike a lot of those super-serious sci-fi shows where nobody is ever wrong and you presume the good-guy simply knows best.

Another good series was the Prisoner, which I hope doesn't fade away (or worse, get remaid by some cad of our generation who sexes it up and dumbs it down)

Postby Rachel » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:47 am
Hi Tim, yes I was a big Blake's 7 fan and have even been known to catch a repeat episode or two of it when it has been shown here in the last couple of years. :-D

I agree with you about Red Dwarf, earlier episodes were match better than the last couple of seasons. :D

Postby Tojo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:03 am
I remember watching Blake 7 as a kid but I can't really remember the story. I do remember really enjoying it though.

I have watched a few episodes of The Prisoner & always found it wierd but fascinating. Those big balls were very strange. It was filmed in an equally wierd & fascinating place in Wales.

@Rachel, have you ever been to Portmeirion?

I've just read on the web that The Prisoner is in fact going to be remade to be shown in 2008 :shock: :shock: How terrible!! What was wrong with the original? They'll probably replace the Mini Mokes with Smarts or something equally horrible :banghead:

Red Dwarf was pretty cool although I didn't really like the cat. The others were funny though. Wasn't the robot called Crichton or something like that?

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:23 pm
I remember watching Blake 7 as a kid but I can't really remember the story. I do remember really enjoying it though.
Blake's 7 outline: A group of criminals is being shipped off to a prison planet. En route, the prisoners are sent to investigate a derelict battleship. The prisoners take over the ship and escape. The leader, Roj Blake, was a political prisoner, who wants to end the federation's dictatorship. Blake drags the escapees into his political crusade, but there's always contention between Blake and the other prisoners.

In addition to that, there's a lot of mystery in the show. The battleship drifted in from another galaxy and there's a running question about what it's origins are. Later, a computer called Orac is found, which can forecast the future. The show is dark sci-fi--not Gothic dark like a Japanese horror movie, but the show is eery, a sort of anti-Star Trek (Star Trek being bright and saccharine).
I have watched a few episodes of The Prisoner & always found it wierd but fascinating. Those big balls were very strange. It was filmed in an equally wierd & fascinating place in Wales.
Actually the big weather balloons were supposed to be wheeled robots, but the prototype malfunctioned, and MacGoohan had to compromise.

Patrick MacGoohan put a lot of himself into the Prisoner series. Unless the guy doing the remake feels the same way, I bet it will come off a bit stale. Much of the series is about the right to privacy, but our generation and younger thrives on spilling everything. If MacGoohan were doing the series today, one of the episodes would involve the Village trying to lure him into confessing why he resigned to a blog or a chatgroup. "Come on, No. 6, don't be so wound up. Join the group. Express yourself." Today's kids would classify No. 6 as an unsociable jerk.
Red Dwarf was pretty cool although I didn't really like the cat. The others were funny though. Wasn't the robot called Crichton or something like that?
Speaking of the Welsh, the guy who played Kriton (sp?) was a Welsh guy named Mark Llewellyn.

Postby Rachel » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:50 pm
@Rachel, have you ever been to Portmeirion?
I have driven through there but never stopped. :driver:

It is a place I would love to visit one day and as hubby is a big Prisoner fan I am sure we will get there one day. Generally, the area is very beautiful and I used to drive around there quite often with work but it has been a few yeasr now. Maybe this Summer. :D

Speaking of the Welsh, the guy who played Kriton (sp?) was a Welsh guy named Mark Llewellyn.
Hi Tim, yep Robert Llewellyn played Kryten but I was with you there completely. Should mention, he isn't Welsh either. :-D

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:42 pm
Should mention, he isn't Welsh either. :-D
Whoops! But, isn't Llewellyn a Welsh name? (Source of my error: we have a self-styled "Welsh Pub" in St Louis called "Llewellyn's". Though, the last time I was there, aside from the token "Welsh Rarebit" and "Potter Stew" it had "Blowjob Martini" which I think is actually Australian).

Ai, at bod Cymraeg, e eni i mewn Cymru?
Page 1 of 2

Login