Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 3
Postby Pitufo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:11 pm
Hi, everyone!!!!!!!

My three hobbies are clothes (go shopping), smurfs and books...I would like to share with you some of my favourite writers... There are lots of authors I love but some of my last read ones are... García Márquez, Ismaíl Kadaré( albanian), Pérez Galdós (spanish writer, s.XIX), Milan Kundera...

Have you ever read books of them? It´s interesting for me to know what my smurfers friends read...

Thank you
JOAQUÍN

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:13 pm
I haven't read those, I guess they are in Spanish?

I like crime fiction like Harlen Coben, my only problem is that if I start reading a book I can't put it down and usually get through it in 48 hours. Harlen Coben doesn't write fast enough.. :( :(

Postby Pitufo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:20 pm
Hi, Karen!!!!!!!Yes they are all in Spanish, but I´m 100 % sure all of them have been translated to English...Do yo think with my "excellent" english I can red in other language than mine? :) :) :)
my only problem is that if I start reading a book I can't put it down and usually get through it in 48 hours
ME TOO!!!!!!!!! Karen, I think it´s not a problem...It´s a pleasure...
JOAQUÍN

Postby eggie smurf » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:51 pm
ME TOO!!!!!!!!! Karen, I think it´s not a problem
I agree...not a problem at all...unless you need to do things like work :D I love to read too. I am currently reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (an american writer). She is a comedy/mystery writer and I've never laughed out loud while reading a book as I have reading hers. There are 12 in the series and I just finished the fourth in only a week and a half :cheers:
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Smurfysmurf » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:55 pm
I love to read, too.... actually this is really my biggest passion (at least it was until a few weeks ago :) :) )
I do mostly read Christian historical fiction (love to read about the early settlers in America).
I have collected all the books from Jean Plaidy, who wrote about all the Kings & Queen of England (history is another of my passions :lol: ) and I can never say no to a Agatha Christie book ( I usually do cheat with her books though :( and read the ending first :o )

the good thing about deceased authors is that I get their books quite cheap in second hand book stores :D and I don't have to keep up with their newest books :) :) :)
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/
===============================

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:01 pm
I am currently reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (an american writer). She is a comedy/mystery writer and I've never laughed out loud while reading a book as I have reading hers. There are 12 in the series and I just finished the fourth in only a week and a half :cheers:
Mrs Dyar loves Janet Evanovich and has read all of her books so far I would say.

I don't read as much as I used to (unless we're talking smurf forum and emails) but I have always loved certain books by Jack Kerouac, Friedrich Nietzsche, Joseph Conrad, Aldous Huxley & there are a couple of Shakespear plays that I absolutely adore like Hamlet. I didn't study that one at school but I really do love it.

I guess with a 22-24 hour flight I might be taking some books with me....unless they are deemed to be weapons of course.

Dyar
Postby DrunkSmurf » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:34 pm
García Márquez, Ismaíl Kadaré( albanian), Pérez Galdós (spanish writer, s.XIX), Milan Kundera...

Have you ever read books of them? It´s interesting for me to know what my smurfers friends read...
Hi Pitufo, I've read a lot of Garcia Marquez's stuff. I haven't read anything from an Albanian, but liked the Serb classic, "Bridge on the Drina" by Ivo Andric. It's, er, discription of impaling is hard to forget....

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:57 am
I enjoy reading Garcia-Marquez, Isabel Allende, Coelho, Henry James, Thomas Hardy, Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway and Thomas Mann. But I also like reading biographies, music books and anthologies. :D

The latest short novel I read was "Summer Crossing" by Truman Capote. :) Though being extremely short, Capote's original debut is just brilliant!!! :D

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:15 am
But I also like reading biographies, music books and anthologies. :D
Yes these are my fasvourites these days...I have read so many music ones it's amazing when i see them all stacked up....I can actually make a cubby house out of them.

Dyar

Postby Pitufo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:03 pm
Hi, Dominique!!!!!!!!
I enjoy reading Garcia-Marquez, Isabel Allende, Coelho, Henry James, Thomas Hardy, Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway and Thomas Mann.
Which ones of G.Márquez´s books have you read? I ve just began to read again " One hundred years of solitude" ( I think it´s the sixth time I read it)...

:cheers:
JOAQUÍN

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:09 pm
Joaquin,
I'm in the middle of reading Como agua para chocolate by Laura Esquivel (she's a Mexican author) but I'm reading it in English though as I can't read Spanish..yet ;)...it's an excellent movie and the book is even better. I highly recommend both :D

Postby Pitufo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:36 pm
Thanks Staci for the recommendation...I have been the film, but not read the book...I will put it in my wanted list...But of course in spanish!!!!!!!!!
JOAQUÍN

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:42 pm
...But of course in spanish!!!!!!!!!
Maybe after we read them in our languages, we should switch to the other. It might make a lot more sense to me if I read it first in English then in Spanish, what do you think? :cheers: (Of course, you already read English quite well, so I'll just switch LOL!)

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:38 am
Hi there, we currently love the Dan Brown books, im afraid i found the film version of the book the Davinci code a flop. I get audio books for Simon as he is dyslexic and finds reading a little difficult. He can play them in his cab whilst working then he gets to see why i find the books so fascinating and it gives us chance to discuss the books we enjoy !! Lucie

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:07 am
I just managed to finally get through the book Mr Strong from the Mr Men series. I love this series so I started reading Mr Greedy tonight and I hoep to finish that by next weekend as there are tons of others I want to get through. I bought the whole series when I was 16 but it's only now that I am old enough to understand the hidden sexual undertones present in some of the characters....I mean, Mr Tickle.....you can't tell me he doesn't get a bit....although Mr Small, Mr Rush & Mr Fussy don't fair as well unfortunately

Mr Dyar

Postby naish510 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:13 am
Hi i love the read the books of Harlan Coben !!! And Mary Higgings Clark :D

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:30 am
I just managed to finally get through the book Mr Strong from the Mr Men series. I love this series so I started reading Mr Greedy tonight and I hoep to finish that by next weekend as there are tons of others I want to get through. I bought the whole series when I was 16 but it's only now that I am old enough to understand the hidden sexual undertones present in some of the characters....I mean, Mr Tickle.....you can't tell me he doesn't get a bit....although Mr Small, Mr Rush & Mr Fussy don't fair as well unfortunately

Mr Dyar
:) :) :) Dont be telling Jack this ! :D

:-D :beer:

Postby samismurf » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:31 am
IM a big fan of Harry Potter, ive read them all twice and cant wait to see the next movie.
I love J.D Salinger's book too like Of mice and men
welll i read alot of Nieztche tooo and sigmund freud.I totally agree with the Id, Ego, Superego
i love philosophy :cheers:
sam the deal finder :sherlock:

Postby SA Smurfette » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:28 am
I am old enough to understand the hidden sexual undertones present in some of the characters....I mean, Mr Tickle.....you can't tell me he doesn't get a bit....although Mr Small, Mr Rush & Mr Fussy don't fair as well unfortunately

Mr Dyar
You're also forgetting ...Mr Uppity, Mr Rude, Little Miss Naughty, Little Miss Bad :) :)
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:55 am
You're also forgetting ...Mr Uppity, Mr Rude, Little Miss Naughty, Little Miss Bad :) :)
Good thinking there Rae...although I read that as "Little Miss Brad" the first time around....it made me laugh....although I might have a 6 foot plush smurf hunting me down from now on :shock:

Dyar
Page 1 of 3

Login