Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 2
Postby DrunkSmurf » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:03 pm
I've dabbled a bit in a (mostly) American Playmobil chat group.

But, it's strange. Maybe it's the playmobil culture. Or, maybe I'm looking too hard for Playmobil Karens, Rachaels, Dyars, Attoms, and all.

But, it's like, well, maybe examples will serve better:

M: = me
A: anybody
B: anybody
======================================
1)
M: <Comments comparing smurf market and playmobil market>
A: You can't even compare smurfs to playmobil. Smurfs are just something based on some old cartoon, and you can't even play with them.
=====================================
2)
A: <Somebody comments about a new set they like>
B: Sorry. Doesn't do it for me.

[by the way, that expression "sorry. Doesn't do it for me" always makes me cringe. Doesn't do what for you? Mow your lawn?]
=====================================
3)
A: Legos are better than playmobil. I look at playmobil and they're still selling the same stuff I played with 20 years ago, just with different colors. Here's why legos are so much better blah blah blah.

M: It sounds like you prefer toys that let you build things, instead of Playmobil, which is really a sort of doll toyline.

A: What? Nah. Playmobil is my favorite.
=========================================
Maybe I'm letting a few duds (or folks not meaning to sound like I hear them) ruin the soup. The "culture" just seems a lot more confrontational, indignant, and serious.

I don't know. Maybe it's because Playmobil is partially respectable, so Playmobil collectors can be more proud and more arrogant.

Postby eggie smurf » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:29 pm
Hmmm, I think it may be that American forums are a little stuffier (I've found the same problem as well) -- you need a good mix of cultures plus personalities to have a great forum...maybe you should just stick with us :) :)
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby attombomb7 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:29 pm
hi!

you're right, it sounds very stuffy, and competitive:)
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website
Hogatha's Fake and licenced Smurfs collection

http://mennoblue.net/
(my fake smurf collection ):)

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:51 pm
I don't have much experience with forums, except for a few smurf forums, this one and some ebay forums, but I must say that Blue Cavern in my opinion is the best forum by far for smurfs and other stuff... :joy: .. There is nothing confrontational about anything and you can have good discussions, have a lot of fun, exchange information, and you just know, if you post some new wins everybody will be happy for you... :cheers:
I can't tell you how much I have learnt about smurfs and sometimes even about other countries, since joining this forum. :D

I guess, you got the message...I LOVE THIS FORUM... I agree with Stace, that probably being so multiculteral is what makes this forum the best (at least the best in my view) :smitten:
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:34 pm
I don't really have any other experience on forums besides smurf ones. I joined MV but hardly anyone responded to me so I went away and didn't go back until after I joined Cleo's board. After the experience with MV I was more hoping than expecting anything good but I got lucky and met a lot of you guys that are here on Cleo's board and they were great people to chat with and encouraged me to post more....well some didn't cos I strayed from talking about actual smurfs a bit....who me? :-?....but they have gone away it seems (I won...yay). When that dies I came here (I had been moonlighting here for a little while anyway) and I found Rachel & karen to be so welcoming and friendly that i think that rubbed off on me and how I should act on here towards other people.

I would find it hard to come across another forum with the same fun and friendly people as this one as I would imagine a lot of forums are about people showing how good they are....and I think others would be really strict on what you can and can't do. I find that there are no such restrictions on here besides obvious ones (and we have a section for that too :) ) so I think this is far and away the best place on the net to chat due to the great personalities and the fact that youc an make really great friends here from all around the world that you would never have the chance to meet any other way. I guess Karen & Rachel have to be commneded on putting this forum together as it really took off due to their great leadership.

Dyar

Postby JT » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:45 pm
I´m pretty sure it´s Playmobil culture rather than nationality.
As far as I know there´s just two kind of Playmobil collectors. Rather old ones (like me) and rather young ones (not like me). Both groups are pretty fanatic about collecting and Playmobil universe is so huge that they hardly have time (or money) to collect anything else. :) :) :) :)

Playmobils are fun to play with, but if you wanna chat, choose Smurfs :) :) :) :)

JT

Postby attombomb7 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:59 pm
hi JT

I don't know much about Playmobile, but I do see them in stores etc in

the toy section, they are always very nice as they seem to have great

themes..

do you have alot? do you collect certain things, like older ones?

is there a dream item you want?
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website

Postby JT » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:52 pm
Well, I´m not exactly Playmobil collector. I think my son is. He plays with them a lot. We have quite a lot, especially knight series.
I had some really old ones from my childhood, but I prefer newer ones because they´re more playable with twisting wristes.
There´s too many Playmobil items to collect seriously. I prefer smaller collections :)

JT

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:12 am
Tim, i am sorry to hear they are not the people you thought they were, but we think you are great here, and i think this is a super forum where anything goes really, stay here buddy ! :D

:-D :beer:

Postby hfos » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:52 am
Dude, what are you doing over there in those forums anyway, smurfs are much better.

Postby JT » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:38 am
Dude, what are you doing over there in those forums anyway, smurfs are much better.
"You can't even compare smurfs to playmobil. Smurfs are just something based on some old cartoon, and you can't even play with them."

:) :) :) :)

JT

Postby XoioX2000 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:04 am
I love Playmobil too!!! I get annoyed when I buy some for the kids, build them and my two terror dragons wannabes have destroyed the whole setup and turn it back into pieces, most of the time having lost some of the tiny bits...

Sometimes, I confess, I "hide" some of the small bits in case they could be used with Smurfs for a display... My excuse: The kids would have lost "that" piece anyway!!!! :) :) :)

Yeah just stick with us!!! :-D
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:07 am
I have the same problem with Jack's Star Wars toys....he has about 20 or more spaceships and tons of figures but they tend to crash and the ships have to be pulled apart and then scattered across the household universe. I actually have all of them in the loungeroom as I type....I am planning on trying to put them all back together tonight before bed. Kind of like a gigantic Star Wars puzzle.

Dyar

Postby DrunkSmurf » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:26 pm
I was wondering how you guys with older kids managed it. When the new smurfs are released next year, I may buy two copies to let her play with one. My wife would probably grow annoyed otherwise--Me to kid:"Now, honey, when you play with daddy's smurfs, you need to put on the white gloves and the white mask. See? And don't talk too loudly because the vibrations are suspected of accelerating the deterioration of the paint. Hey, I know. Instead of touching the smurf, why don't we just sit and admire it? See? It's the variant made in Portugal."

Postby Rachel » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:58 am
Hi Tim, a very interesting discussion. :-D

I do think that because we are very much an international forum this helps a lot but also the fact that generally smurf collectors tend to have quite a sense of humour (well lets face it.......) this is another big bonus. :D

I have been on a few other forums for various topics (including smurfs) but never come across another forum where everyone gets on so well with just the very odd exception. I suppose the technical forums tend to be used just when someone needs to know something and don't have that friendly feeling. Other forums that I have been on can be quite competative or sometimes just so busy you can't keep up with everything.

The one thing I have to stress about this place is that it's success isn't down to just one or two people, it really is the whole community that makes it special and I know Karen would completely agree with me that having such a great team of Mods and regular members makes the difference. Also the fact that a member doesn't need to be here all the time and can just pop in every now and again and still get a warm welcome makes is wonderful. :cheerz:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby southernyacht » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:32 pm
Hi everyone,

Interesting point about forums. I've just joined a new one for work - and god - its boring. :yawning:

Maybe that's what happens when librarians get together (or should I say information professionals :) ) but I nearly nodded off at while reading it at work today. I was sat there wondering what sort of comment Dyer would post.....

Cathy x :cat:

Postby attombomb7 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:02 pm
hi Cathy!

maybe Dyar should go on there and lighten that forum up?

what do they talk about there?
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:06 pm
:haha:
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Tojo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:16 pm
Hi everyone,

Interesting point about forums. I've just joined a new one for work - and god - its boring. :yawning:

Maybe that's what happens when librarians get together (or should I say information professionals :) ) but I nearly nodded off at while reading it at work today. I was sat there wondering what sort of comment Dyer would post.....

Cathy x :cat:
I've never heard of a librarian being called an information professional before :) Mrs Tojo is one of those too (although she hasn't worked for years) & our house is full of books. I reckon Dyar could liven that forum up too :)
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby eggie smurf » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:17 pm
Dyar might even be able to share some of his books that the librarians have never seen before too :shock:

Oh, I'm sorry all those books are Syd's (I'm sure Dyar would correct me, so I'm beating him to the punch). :)
:dory: Staci :dory:
Page 1 of 2

Login