Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 1 of 6
Postby DrunkSmurf » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:34 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4497408.stm

The above article discusses a giant straw goat erected every December in a small Swedish town. Arsonists frequently burn down the goat before Christmas.

What the article doesn't answer:

Why the hell is this town erecting a giant straw goat every year? Is is part of a Nativity scene? An ancient pagan festival? What?

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:34 pm
Hi Tim

Check out this link for info:

http://hem.passagen.se/farila/julbocken.htm

I've never heard of this Goat before so it was an interesting thing to read :D

It even inspired Syd to do his own bloody Christmas erection :eek: ...although a little cold water will burn that one down pretty quickly.

Postby SA Smurfette » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:10 am
You'd think after having it burnt down 22 times they'd guard the bloody thing :eek:

You could understand once or twice , but 22 times :shock: what the?

Nice story though :D ( about the origin of the goat, not the bit about it being burnt down all the time. :) :)

It's interesting what other countries do at Christmas 8)
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:53 am
You'd think after having it burnt down 22 times they'd guard the bloody thing :eek:
I would of thought after the 10th time they would of said that's the last straw.....you have to give it to them for persistence....builders & burners that is.

Postby Tojo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:57 am
Maybe there's not much to do in Sweden? I know someone who's just gone to work there & at this time of year it's dark quite a lot of the time. I'd find that pretty depressing I must admit. And when someone puts up a straw goat which is just begging to be fired........... :o
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:55 am
Maybe they just got cold :-?

I know I would probably set myself on fire if I was freezing in Sweden during winter :D

Postby SA Smurfette » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:19 pm

I know I would probably set myself on fire if I was freezing in Sweden during winter :D
:haha:

Yeah it's a bit hot to do it here isn't it :) :)
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:24 pm
Yeah it's a bit hot to do it here isn't it :) :)
I dunno Rae...there have been times I thought about it cos that might bring the Fire Brigade with those cold water hoses to put the flames out and I could be cool again which sound very appealing right now in this stifling heat.....then again, I collect smurfs :-? I will never be cool again :)

Postby Bunno Smurf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:37 pm
Is it that hot :sun: over east at the moment?

We've had three days of cloudy, windy, rainy weather. I actually had to put a jumper on the other day. We had this awesome thunder storm not this weekend just gone but the one before. The rain pelted down. I saw a lightning flash and not more than 2 secs later there was this almighty BOOM and the house shook. Great stuff! :crazy:
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:05 am
We had that type of weather Linda including the booming thunder over the weekend.....I guess we sent it west :)

Postby Bunno Smurf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:05 am
We had that type of weather Linda including the booming thunder over the weekend.....I guess we sent it west :)
Ummm Dyar I said we had it two weekends ago so I guess we sent it your way. We seem to be getting a new front now...minus the big BOOMs.

Yes that says new front...big B..O...O...M..S...don't try to twist it , Dyar. We know you well! 8-)

Edit edit edit. I am more persistent than you Dyar :P

Postby Tor » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:59 am
Okay, here are some answers from a Swede. ;)

The "julbock" is up for display in a town called Gävle every year. A julbock is a traditional part of a Swedish Christmas and is usually small enough to fit under a normal Christmas tree.

In Sweden you can put up money with gambling companies and guess which date the julbock will burn (or if it will survive).

The julbock in Gävle is "guarded" by four web cameras and here are the pictures from this years fire:
http://flyingmodels.org/diverse/bocken/

The American who burnt down the julbock in 2001 said he thought it was a Swedish legal tradition to set fire to Christmas goats. It is not. 8-)
/Tor

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:35 pm
I don't think there's much more I can say about your post Linda as you seemed to of done it for me already :D

I think instead of guarding it with web-cmas that they should guard it with fireman.....it seems like it's only a matter of time before it happens anyway.

Postby eggie smurf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:54 pm
Andrew....it looks like Linda's post was E....D.....I......T.....e......d :o hmmmmm
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:18 pm
I wonder who would of done that.....I should start a poll with the likely suspects

Postby Bunno Smurf » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:01 am
Andrew....it looks like Linda's post was E....D.....I......T.....e......d :o hmmmmm
Thanks Stace. I have re-edited it.

as for the poll ...here's the likely suspects:

Dyar
Dyar
Dyar
Dyar
Dyar and oh umm????
Dyar

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:26 am
Alright...I will come clean and admit it was me...I would hate for anyone to start pointing the finger at other innocent members here not realising that I was the one that actually did it......I think Stace gave me away :)

Postby Tor » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:08 am
The police are looking for a man disguised as Santa and his accomplice dressed as a ginger bread man.
/Tor

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:36 pm
A Ginger Bread Man???....they won't catch him :)

Postby Tor » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:31 am
Don't you eat ginger bread for Christmas? Is it just another stupid Swedish tradaition?
/Tor
Page 1 of 6

Login