Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 2 of 3

Postby SA Smurfette » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 am
You're also forgetting ...Mr Uppity, Mr Rude, Little Miss Naughty, Little Miss Bad :) :)
.although I might have a 6 foot plush smurf hunting me down from now on :shock:

Dyar
:lol: :lol: :lol: Poor Brad :-D
:winks: Raelene :yes:

Check out my smurfy site
www.raeslittleblueguys.com

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:59 am
Hi, Dominique!!!!!!!!
I enjoy reading Garcia-Marquez, Isabel Allende, Coelho, Henry James, Thomas Hardy, Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway and Thomas Mann.
Which ones of G.Márquez´s books have you read? I ve just began to read again " One hundred years of solitude" ( I think it´s the sixth time I read it)...

:cheers:
Hi Joaquin!
I also read "Chronic of an Announced Death", "Love in the Time of Cholera" and his autobiography "Life to Tell the Tale". :D I just started reading "Love" recently!!!

Postby Bunno Smurf » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:01 pm
I like to read a lot and it usually doesn't matter what. Basically I will read anything that sounds interesting. When I was at uni I used to buy one or two Agatha Christie novels a fortnight and I have a collection of about 60 of them. I am mostly into crime fiction but I also like a bit of fantasy.

My favourite authors are Agatha Christie and John Grisham (The Firm, The Pelican Brief etc). The last two books I read are The Doomsday Consipracy by Sidney Sheldon and The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. I read the DaVinci Code as I had to know what the fuss was about and it seemed like I was the only person on the planet who hadn't read it. I haven't seen the movie either.

I've also read and enjoyed all of the Harry Potter series, the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series.

The two magazines I read regularly are the Reader's Digest and That's Life.
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:32 am
I love J.D Salinger's book too like Of mice and men
Did'nt John Steinbeck write Of Mice and Men? :-?

Smurfy regards
Steve :D

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:36 am
I'm not really into reading novels and stuff like that, I like to read books which teach you skills and what I have interests in like origami, fish keeping and generall creative studies. :-D

Kimmy is the reader in our house.

Smurfy regards

Postby hfos » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:46 am
I love J.D Salinger's book too like Of mice and men
Did'nt John Steinbeck write Of Mice and Men? :-?

Smurfy regards
Yeah, I finished that only recently, along with The Grapes of Wrath. I went to a book fair yesterday and got some Terry Pratchett books I didn't have yet, 'Baudolino' by Eco and some other stuff. I'm looking forward to the new Thomas Harris (due out in December if I'm not mistaken), and like stuff like Iain Banks, Chuck Palahniuk's first couple of books, Robert Anton Wilson, Alan Moore, Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman, Poppy Z. Brite, etc etc.

Oh, and at that book fair (which lasts until Sunday) there was a LOT of Harlan Coben. If anyone could recommend one or more I might pick them up if I'm in the neigbourhood...

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:28 am
I went to a book fair yesterday and got some Terry Pratchett books I didn't have yet
Hi Robin

I met Terry Pratchett about 2 years ago when he launched his book "Going Postal" at a party down here in Sydney.

Here's a link to the thread I posted about it including some pics a little further down of the signed poster and other stuff

http://forum.bluecavern.com/viewtopic.php?t=1036

Dyar
Postby smurfwish » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:33 am
Having been forced to read Shakespeare, Charles Dickens and poetry at school, the only (and best in my opinion) books I read are by Wilbur Smith. Having lived in Africa for 11 years, I find that the modern set books can conjure up all the images and memories that I have of life in Africa...which is really nice. The books set centuries ago give a great insight into the old colonial families, the trade of that era and the settlement that arose as a result. Not everyones cup of tea but I love them. Only problem is, like Karen, once I pick the book up I can't put it down until its finished, so for 48 hours nothing else gets done!!! :tea:

Maxine x

WHO NEEDS BIRTHDAYS WHEN EVERYDAY IS A SMURFDAY

Postby Rachel » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:29 am
An interesting thread, one which I have been meaning to post on for days. :o

Firstly have to admit that I have been a bit slack the last few years, well really since I discovered smurfs again so currently my bedside table normally has the 2 katalogs on it plus various leaflets or lists that I have decided to take a closer look at (all smurf related of course).

I think the last book I read (am still in the middle of) is Michael Moore's Dude, Where's My Country, at least I think that was it. I have a feeling it is still in a draw somewhere after the house move. :oops:

In the past though, I think I would have to say that Tom Sharpe is my all time favourite but I also enjoy Terry Pritchard, James Herbert and Douglas Adams. :tea:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]
Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:09 am
Having been forced to read Shakespeare, Charles Dickens and poetry at school, the only (and best in my opinion) books I read are by Wilbur Smith. Having lived in Africa for 11 years, I find that the modern set books can conjure up all the images and memories that I have of life in Africa...which is really nice. The books set centuries ago give a great insight into the old colonial families, the trade of that era and the settlement that arose as a result. Not everyones cup of tea but I love them. Only problem is, like Karen, once I pick the book up I can't put it down until its finished, so for 48 hours nothing else gets done!!! :tea:

Maxine x
Hi Maxine, the Wilbur smith books are great ! I really enjoyed reading them too . Lucie :-D

WHO NEEDS BIRTHDAYS WHEN EVERYDAY IS A SMURFDAY

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:50 am
Does the DSK count as a reading book?

Dyar

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:54 am
I'd say so ! Or Playsmurf ? :-?

:-D :beer:

Postby Pitufo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:30 am
Yeah, I finished that only recently, along with The Grapes of Wrath
Steinbeck is one of my fav writers too!!!!!!!!!!!"Of mice and men" is a very intersting book, but without any kind of doubts, the best is "The grapes of the Wrath"....The most incredible ending I ever have read!!!!!!
JOAQUÍN

Postby Little lucie @ Simon » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:17 am
Does the DSK count as a reading book?

Dyar
Of course it does, it's our bible :-D Lucie

Postby southernyacht » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:21 am
I have to admit - I've had to read so many tecchie books for work lately - that anything I've read for pleasure has been real chick lit! :oops: (or the DSK of course).

However, Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller is my all time favourite. I read it long before the film version with Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood and made me me howl! :cry: :cry: I remember reading it in one sitting and sitting there sniffling at the end. As I was on holiday with Andy at the time - he wondered what the hell had happened :)

The film version is pretty close to the book.... and that makes me cry too...

(is it weird to like a book that makes you sad :-? )

Cathy x :cat:

Postby Tojo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:10 pm
I've just finished reading Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy of books (The Magician's Guild, The Novice & The High Lord) which were very enjoyable. I've just started reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. These are the first fantasy books I've read for a long time. Most of the books I've read recently have been historically based such as Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series or have been crime stories.
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby SMURFYSTEVE1 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:39 pm
No not at all Cathy, Kimmy likes books that make her sad too....... :D

Smurfy regards

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:02 pm
Not at all Cathy......but you could always put it in the freezer like Joey did when he read "Little Woman"

One of the saddest books I ever read was Mr Chatterbox. The people of the town wer so mean to him that they gave him a trick hat that would grow until he was trapped inside it....then they would just run off without even saying goodbye to him. In the end he got such a complex that he stopped talking to people and probably never left his house again. I think it's a book to show you how rude and mean some people out there can be....it always makes me cry in the end when I think that Chatterboxes has feelings too.

Dyar

Postby eggie smurf » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:12 pm
Not at all Cathy......but you could always put it in the freezer like Joey did when he read "Little Woman"
Or you could put your credit card in the freezer next to "Little Women" :)
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:38 am
Or you could put your credit card in the freezer
Who would do such a silly thing?

I know I don't have a credit card in the freezer

Dyar Dyar..... :-?
Page 2 of 3

Login