Home of the Smurf Community

Post anything non-smurf related here.
Page 2 of 2

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:51 pm
Entering through American customs is turning into a real pain, but I wouldn't call the US a police state. On the other hand, corporate life nearly fits the bill, though the authority ends as soon as you leave the parking lot (with the exception of drug testing, and some more extreme cases of nicotine or overweight testing).
I agree with that...coming to the US is a real pain :banghead: but once you are in,...it's fun :D

I do wish my employer would remember we live in a free country though...they even check our e-mails and phonecalls..not that it bothers me much...I still e-mail everybody and the world...and even Stace's colorful expressions make it thru the corporate filter, which is more than I can say for my home e-mail address filter :sofunny:
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby eggie smurf » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:52 pm
...and even Stace's colorful expressions make it thru the corporate filter
:smile: I censor myself now when I email you anywhere! ****** :)
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Bunno Smurf » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:22 am
I agree schools are an awful place for staff room gossip. I try to avoid them at all costs!
I took to walking laps of the school oval in my lunch breaks at one stage, one it helps you lose some weight and two you don't have to listen to all that junk. At the end of the 2005 school year it was becoming like "Days of Our Lives" at our school. People get a little too comfortable with each other I think and start sharing stuff thats best kept private. You're better off just being "aquaintances" with people at work rather than "friends". Must admit it was interesting rocking up and seeing what else had happened that week. I only work 3 out of 5 days so there was always some new sensational news by the time I rocked up again.

I know what you mean, Renee about being at a school only part time. Luckily for me I am pretty reliable and some of the other support teachers aren't. They LOVE me cos I am there rain or shine giving them time off from their class whereas some of the others take as many sickies as they can. I've worked as a relief teacher and its amazing how some teachers treat you like a lower lifeform because you're "just" a relief teacher. Dunno how'd they'd survive without them personally. :-?

Sorry Tim, ranting again. I agree with Andrew...its a great topic and very interesting. :D
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby Rachel » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:45 pm
Hi Renee, I know exactly what you mean. I don't find it so bad now from other staff as I have been in most of my schools for quite a few years but I do sometimes get that problem with kids that I don't teach. Mind you, my brief case can get very heavy as I swing past an annoying kid! :D

Just out of curiousity, are you also known as peripatetic staff in Australia?

I took to walking laps of the school oval in my lunch breaks at one stage, one it helps you lose some weight and two you don't have to listen to all that junk. At the end of the 2005 school year it was becoming like "Days of Our Lives" at our school. People get a little too comfortable with each other I think and start sharing stuff thats best kept private.
I thought of you today Linda. :-D

I was looking for the music teacher, entered the staff room, had a quick look and then left again without saying a word, I just laughed as I walked away thinking about this thread! :lol:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby DrunkSmurf » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:15 pm
I took to walking laps of the school oval in my lunch breaks at one stage, one it helps you lose some weight and two you don't have to listen to all that junk.
My uncle, an independent contractor, worked at one of those big finance companies (H&R Block, or something like that). He received a counseling statement for being caught walking during his lunch break. He had worked through lunch and taken his lunch break after the normal period. The boss cited him as goofing off on company time.

I heard of another consultant criticized for reading his newspaper during his break in his cubicle. The perception was: "There he is, sitting there reading his newspaper on our big dollars." Guess he should have hid off premises and had lunch. (A lot of employees resent private contractors, presuming they make big dollars. Ironicly, if the contractor is employed through an agency, most of the "big dollars" go to the agency and the contractor makes roughly what everyone else makes. I worked at such a firm once that made things worse for itself by making us wear suits so the local employees wouldn't forget we were the expensive contractors.)

Postby ChunkMasterMC » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:34 pm
Just out of curiousity, are you also known as peripatetic staff in Australia?
I think I am called "Auxiliary Staff". I had to laugh at you saying you were looking for the music teacher and stuck your head in the classroom and said nothing Rachel:) :) :) ...Sounds very familiar :-D :-D :-D And also the kids who you don't teach having no idea who you are...makes it difficult sometimes to sort any bad behaviour out!!!

But at the end of the day...I am so glad to be teaching something that is creative and fun!!! :violin:
ChunkMasterMC :music:

Postby Bunno Smurf » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:42 pm
We call the part-timers "part-timers" most of the time or "support" staff. I guess support staff has a nice ring to it really. The teachers who come in to fill in when you're sick are called Relief teachers (like the American substitute teachers)

I don't really have the issue of kids not knowing who I am as I have taught Art one day a week before and I used to see every kid in the school from Yr 1-7. I just yell "Hey Possum, stop doing that" if I can't remember their name. I'm guessing thats not going to work with 15yr olds though :) :)

Tim, society's gone mad when they complain about what you do in your lunch break. Especially stuff like reading the newspaper or going for a walk. Here in Australia theres a big push for being healthier and reducing obesity so we get encouraged to do that kind of thing rather than told off.
:star: LINDA :star:

Postby Rachel » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:19 pm
I think I am called "Auxiliary Staff".
Right. :D

Peripatetic just means "travelling teaching" which often gets shortened to "peri". :lol:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby Smurfysmurf » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:43 pm
I heard of another consultant criticized for reading his newspaper during his break in his cubicle. The perception was: "There he is, sitting there reading his newspaper on our big dollars."
We actually have quite a few people in our office that tape a sheet of paper on the computer screen with the word "Break" or "Lunch" written across it ... :) :)

I am not sure how common that is..but in our company we all sit in little cubicles which makes talking to each other pretty easy :-D
however, we also have our backs to each other or to the people that walk up to us...It happens quite regularly that a manager or somebody who thinks they are a manager walks up behind me when I am taking a "mental break" that is....I am listening to music and concentrate on the lyrics instead of paying claims. :) :) :)...I must admit that since working for a large firm in the US I have often been reminded of the term "Big Brother is watching you".....especially when I learned that they have security cameras at each door so they can watch if we really clocked out when we left... :shock: :shock:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby ChunkMasterMC » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:49 pm
I must admit that since working for a large firm in the US I have often been reminded of the term "Big Brother is watching you".....especially when I learned that they have security cameras at each door so they can watch if we really clocked out when we left... :shock: :shock:
Well who needs to watch it on tele when we live it each day hey? :o
Not that I have experienced that kind of surveillance...thankfully...well not that I know of anyway... :eek: :-?
ChunkMasterMC :music:

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:34 pm
I must admit that since working for a large firm in the US I have often been reminded of the term "Big Brother is watching you".....especially when I learned that they have security cameras at each door so they can watch if we really clocked out when we left... :shock: :shock:
Hi did you immigrate to the US from Germany? (I might be thinking of another forum member).

Is work environment different in Europe? (I sometimes fantasize about emigrating to Australia. But, then I read about so many Germans leaving Germany for better pay in the US. Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side...).

I shouldn't complain too much. My company is laid back about flexible hours and employee breaks (we're I.T. developers). The company is just filled with devout American protestants who don't have much experience outside the American Midwest and don't seem to do much with themselves outside Church and company activities. The department I'm in is really big on group lunches and internal fraternizing, which makes stand-outs stand out! Dare to be different, but like everyone else.

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:41 pm
Hi did you immigrate to the US from Germany? (I might be thinking of another forum member).

Is work environment different in Europe? (I sometimes fantasize about emigrating to Australia. But, then I read about so many Germans leaving Germany for better pay in the US. Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side...).
yeah, that's me :D
I think the work environment is much more relaxed in Germany than in the States... but I think that is about the only thing that is more relaxed over there...but I may be the wrong one to comment much on Germany as I love it in the States :D

I know a lot of Germans immigrate to the States, but surely not for the money :shock: the pay was much better in Germany. However, that may be because I live in a relatively poor area in the US. :D Just as a comparison about the wages in my area...I would make about 20% more in my job for the same company if I lived up North.. :-?

Hidden in the Woods

Page 2 of 2

Login