Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby Bunno Smurf » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:38 am
This one is for you Dyar. Besides I couldn't be bothered looking for the post where you were talking about how different molds should, in theory, make different variations.

I guess the nurses I posted earlier were a good example as they were all made in Hong Kong and the only difference was the mold #. They were similar looking though.

These 2 footballers however are a different case altogether. There are distinct differences between the two with the only difference in the markings being the mold #. Both have W. Berrie Co on their arms. The one on the left has a #3 mold number and the one on the right has a #1. The one on the right seems to have his nose pointing up higher as if hes looking up more rather than straight ahead.

:star: LINDA :star:

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:51 am
Hi Linda

Thanks for showing us the pics of these. I have the same variations in the blue Australian Fottoballer with the head looking straight ahead and one looking up.

I should be receiving my 2nd red version next week which has different markings so it will be interesting to see if they are similiar to yours....although as you say yours are the same markings so it was interesting to hear that about them.

Thanks

Dyar

Postby Bunno Smurf » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:24 am
Its interesting anyway. Theres a difference also in the paint colour of the footies but you'd expect that. They're both marked Hong Kong (I think I forgot to put that in the last post.)

Linda

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:52 am
The one I have coming (red) is also Hong Kong W Berrie Co. The other 3 I have here (1 red, 2 blues) are all Hong Kong but I am not sure if any are W Berrie Co as well....Jack has a big box which is a house that he is getting for Christmas blocking my way....I will have a look a bit later.

Cheers

Dyar

Postby Bunno Smurf » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:06 am
Well the 2 Blue (VFL, as I like to call them) footballers I have here are both made in Hong Kong with no W. Berrie.

The one on the left is Fram's :) and it is #3 mold, the one on the right has #2 mold. theres a bit of difference in the eyebrows but thats just a paint job not a mold variation. They seem a lot more similar than the other two. Maybe a slight variation.

Linda

Edit: I just noticed theres a difference in the space between the fingers. the one on the right has a bigger space between the first two fingers.

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:15 am
That looks like the same variation I have in the blue VFL players...stuff it I will call them VFLs as well....except one of mine is from my original collection when I was 6...the only survivor and therefore has more paint rubs....I guess I can't call paint rubs a variation though can I? :)

Dyar

Postby Bunno Smurf » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:57 am
Well I have 2 McDonald Bandleaders??? smurfettes (with the red dress...not the cheerleader). One has glitter on her cheeks....can I call that a variation. Or is it just an added extra ;)????

I am assuming that it doesn't come with the glitter!!!

Linda

Postby pekkelien » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:01 am
does those red all have a yellow 7 at theyre back ornot ?

Postby attombomb7 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:08 pm
hi this is all very interesting!!

thanks! :cheers: :cheers:
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website
Hogatha's Fake and licenced Smurfs collection

http://mennoblue.net/
(my fake smurf collection ):)

Postby Syd Smurf » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:26 pm
I have 2 variations of the McDonalds Baker smurfs, I cannot post a new pic as Jack's presents are hidden in the smurf room and I can't even enter the room because of the boxes that block the passgae way right up to the entrance....you have to pull the boxes out to get in but as you know they aren't really here as Santa hasn't brought them yet so I think I will leave them there until tonight.

I will also check my Majorettes Sven, I think I have 3 of them so that should give you a good idea.

Here is an older pic of the Bakers with the others so I do not know if you can see the difference between the 2 McDonald's ones (they are the ones with sesame seeds on the buns) but one holds the tray up higher than the other, one bun is shiney while the other is dull. They are the obvious ones but I haven't seriously compared these for any other differences.

Dyar

Postby Bunno Smurf » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:24 am
does those red all have a yellow 7 at theyre back ornot ?
The footballers?? Yes they do, Sven....though one of the 7's is a bit faded.

Linda

Postby Bunno Smurf » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:19 am
I vaguely remember Dyar writing something about mold numbers and what they go up to. My McDonald ones got up to 12 but I hadn't seen any other ones until I just catalogued my green Jester smurf. It has a mold #8 Dyar in case you're interested.

Linda

Postby Syd Smurf » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:54 am
Thanks Linda.....the highest one I have come across is the McDonalds promo of the Smurf with Gift which has "18" under his foot. The Big Mac has "16" I think and the Happy Meal one has "12". I haven't checked all of the others yet but I am curious why they are so high....my only guess is that they produced so many so quickly for the promotion but "18" is still a very high number.

Dyar

Postby Tojo » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:41 pm
I checked out the mold numbers in my collection & discovered that my McD smurfs have the following numbers: 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 11 & 16.

The highest number I have on a non McD is 6 on a recent 20118 umbrella. Maybe in this case some of the older molds got damaged & new ones were made for the reissue. Most mold numbers fall in the range 1-4.

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:46 am
Hi Linda

I received my other red VFL smurf today so I thought I would post the photos now.

First the red ones which are HK and the other HK W Berrie Co (mould numbers both 1)

Then the blue VFL ones. The damaged one is the only one left from my original collection when I was 6 years old. They are both HK (mould numbers 1 & 4).

I have another VFL coming but I can't remember which colour...I think it's red and hopefully will be another variation.

Here are the pics

Postby Bunno Smurf » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:57 am
One of my AFL footballers (red) seems to have a much lighter football than any of the others. Its more a pinky/grey/brown than actual brown. yours look more chocolate brown.

Theres a noticeable difference between those 2 VFL (blue) ones. Their heads are definitely in different positions. I'll have to look at them closely with yours to see if there's any difference as my mould # are different to yours. I might fiddle with the pics and put them all side by side if thats ok with you and post it back here. (Which one is #1 and which is #4?)

Linda

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:11 am
All of my footballs are actually diffeent although they may not be clear in the photo.

The reds footballs are: dull plum brown & shiney greyish brown
The blue footballs are: brown & dark brown
Page 1 of 1

Login