Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 3
Postby Tojo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:44 am
I remember the Waldbauer & Nestle smurfs being discussed once before but I can't remember if it was established which were which :-?

GimpySmurf recently asked me to help get hold of the Bullyworld catalogue & in the promo section it shows that in 1984 Bully made 6 smurfs for Walbauer (none for Nestle though).

I had a look at the figure that I have (green mechanic) & he has a Schleich Stickman logo so does that mean that Schleich made the Nestle ones or did they perhaps also make figures for Waldbauer too?

Does anyone have any information on these promos?

Here's a scan of the Waldbauers from the Bullyworld catalogue.....

Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby steveparkes » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:55 am
I must admit to being rather 'wooly' on the whole thing Tojo, I thought that there were only 6 figures that were produced for Waldbaur

Laughing (red)
Digger (blue)
Shy (yellow)
Hammer (orange)
Biscuit (brown)
Tyrolese (green)

however, people say that there are more in the list (I don't know since I wasn't around to get the chocolate first hand). I only have 1 Waldbaur which is the green Tyrolese. (Interesting to see your scan which has the Tyrolese as red)
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:59 am
Isn't there a display or card or box that shows those six as Waldbaur smurfs?

I'll look for it on the forum when I get off tonight, but I remember seeing the picture a few years ago. :-?
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Lia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:03 pm
I found these pics

Lia

Postby Lia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:04 pm
more

Postby SmurfingH » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:10 pm
That's the pic I've got too Lia. Does anyone have a pic of the Nestle ones? :-?

Postby Tojo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:29 pm
I'd forgotten all about those pictures...

This is all very strange though. The smurfs from the official Bullyland museum catalogue don't match with those on the packaging :o There's no Shy or Digger for example & the catalogue has 2 different smurfs instead.

It would be interesting to know the markings for these figures to see which were made by Schleich & which were made by Bully. Does anyone have them all?

The same goes for the Nestle ones.

Postby Pitufo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:30 pm
I must admit to being rather 'wooly' on the whole thing Tojo, I thought that there were only 6 figures that were produced for Waldbaur

Laughing (red)
Digger (blue)
Shy (yellow)
Hammer (orange)
Biscuit (brown)
Tyrolese (green)
I always have thought the same than you, Steve...And those are the raw smurfs I have as Waldbauer: softer material and no markings...They are exactly the 6 smurfs at Lia´s pics

What is exactly the pic you have shown Tojo???
JOAQUÍN

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:32 pm
Here is the thread I was thinking about

http://www.forum.bluecavern.com/viewtop ... highlight=

I personally think that the only Waldbaurs are the ones on the pictures of Lia...the others might be from Nestle and given away with the Nestle chocolate.

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Tojo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:35 pm
@Joaquin: This picture is from the official Bullyworld museum catalogue which I got from Bullyland.

It shows all of the figures they made year by year up until the 1990's. The smurfs only appear on the first few pages as they didn't make them all that long. There are also design sketches of the smurfs & photos with Peyo. There are hundreds of other figures they made though. At the back of the catalogue is a section called 'Werbefiguren' which are the promos. This is where I got this picture from.

Postby Tojo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:41 pm
Thanks for finding the link again Maureen. It doesn't look like there was any consensus there either :)

I'm just assuming that if Bully only show those 6 in their catalogue (which is very extensive), then those are the only ones they made & any others were made by another company :-?

Postby SmurfingH » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:49 pm
I've got these 2 which I've listed as Waldbauer:

Image Image

They both have the markings © Peyo West Germany and their mould number. Thinking about it now, if we take the pic on the box as definite Waldbauer, then these could be Nestle? :-? What do you think?

Postby Tojo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:46 pm
This is the problem Hilary :!:

The crying smurf isn't depicted on the packaging but is listed in the Bullyworld museum catalogue as a Waldbauer & they must have known who they made it for :eek:

I have that Mechanic too & mine has the Schleich stickman-logo on the bottom of one of his feet so he was clearly made by Schleich & presumably for Nestle considering that neither the Bullyworld catalogue or the Waldbauer packaging depicts him :-?

Postby Pitufo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:10 pm
This is my opinion:

- the six smurfs at the pic of Lia are strictly the 6 smurf Waldabauer gave away with chocoloate...They are softer material and have no markings

- there are lots of one colour smurf that Schelich or Bully made for different customer and they gave them away as present (perhpas Nestlé and others). They are one colour material with only some little painted parts or no painted parts. They have markings. Perhpas they were sold too

- and there are unpainted smurfs with the colour of material regualr smurfs were made, that have not been sold but taken away from the factory before the work is finished

My thories are always rare, aren´t they??????? :) :) :)
JOAQUÍN

Postby Tojo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:00 pm
I think you could be correct in respect to Schleich Joaquin.

If however Bully didn't make any mistakes when they produced this museum catalogue of all the figures they made (it was after all published by Bully & not by some collector), why did they say that those 6 were all Waldbauer :-? Especially with the evidence of those Waldbauer packages.

I'm totally confused :???:

Wouldn't it be great to have a time-machine so that we could go back to the 1980's to solve such mysteries :) :)

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:07 pm
Could there be two different kind of Waldbauers?

1.) The ones that came with the chocolate in the boxes. Since they are without markings they may not have been made by Bully but by Waldbaur themselves.

2.) The ones that are in the Bully catalog and sold as Waldbauer promotional smurfs :-?

The quality is different between the two kinds. For example, the "real" Waldbaurs are very soft, and I thought at first they are fakes until I was told otherwise.

The ones in Hil's pictures are more firm and more like "real" smurfs

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Pitufo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:15 pm
1.) The ones that came with the chocolate in the boxes. Since they are without markings they may not have been made by Bully but by Waldbaur themselves.
Waldbaur is an enterprise taht make chocolotes...Tehy know waht to work with mold is...It is only a question of fill the molds in: no chocolate but rubber...I sppose if this is what the did, they made the smurfs in a differnet factory for a question of HEALTH :) :)
JOAQUÍN

Postby Tojo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:20 pm
I'd hope so Joaquin :) :) Could you imagine what the chocolates would taste like otherwise :-P

@Maureen: that is a possibility of course & could make sense. Not having any of them I don't know what they feel like in the hand. My Schleich mechanic is a bit soft too but then quite a lot of the smurfs back in the 80's were softer compared with those made today.

Postby bwalters » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 pm
I have been following this discussion but didn't think I had any of them. Not that you mentioned the soft rubber Mechanic I have one that is very soft rubber in it a Waldbaur?
Mr Bill

Postby Tojo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:51 pm
Does it look like the one on the photo that Hilary posted above Bill? If so then that's the one I have too.

It could be either a Waldbauer or possibly a Nestle promo but I think the jury is still out on this :) :)
Page 1 of 3

Login