Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby Guest » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:06 am
I've queried with Schleich how the 2005 smurfs were painted and here is what they said: -

They are all hand painted, but the technique varies, some are hand dipped in paint and finished off with a brush whereas other painters paint everything with a brush, so it depends on the painter.

I queried whether the method of painting had changed because some of the 2005 smurfs had problem areas as far as I was concerned, so that was the response.
Postby SA Smurfette » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:22 am

I queried whether the method of painting had changed because some of the 2005 smurfs had problem areas as far as I was concerned, so that was the response.
Thats interesting to know Karen.

Maybe the ones with problems may have been painted by a Trainee :)
I wonder what they do when they stuff one up. Do they throw it away or wash it off somehow and try again :-?

Also i wonder how many of each smurf they make ?

Raelene

Postby attombomb7 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:43 am
wow that sounds great too...I can't wait till a local store has some so I can dig thru the smurfs to find a well painted one and a crappy painted one for my collection..!!

its good to know they are hand done!
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website
Hogatha's Fake and licenced Smurfs collection

http://mennoblue.net/
(my fake smurf collection ):)

Postby Syd Smurf » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:37 pm
Yeah I was interested to know this too. Have the last couple of years been handpainted too as they don't seem to have as much variation in the paint jobs as they used to?

Thanks for the info

Dyar

Postby DrunkSmurf » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:07 pm
As for screwed-up smurf paint jobs, my lantern smurf, which I bought in a store years ago, has a fudged tail (more white than blue) and fudged pants (more blue than white).

My flautist smurfette (from the marching band) has her eyes painted small as though she were squinting. I suppose the painter did it to make it appear as though she was playing hard, but I like the normal-eyed smurfette version better.

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:23 pm
One of the forum members got a dodgy smurf last week from these new ones and I am replacing it on this occasion. I do have a slight problem though because technically I can't return them to Schleich because they are not making these for the collector's market, they are marketed as toys. If I start complaining about the paint jobs they might decide they are too expensive to make in future and discontinue them. So I am afraid we may have to live with the most recent ones not being up to the quality they normally are. I've been putting to one side ones that aren't great and I'm not kidding there are tons. I was so busy checking the brainys that a jokey (those ones are normally ok) slipped through the net. So anyway, I am sorry if the paint jobs aren't up to the normal standard but there's not an awful lot I can do about it and I can't really carry the loss for Schleich if people reject these. I'm doing my best to ensure that people get the best but I would appreciate people bear what I've said in mind. I will be discussing the situation with Pete of MV when he receives his, I've already sent him photos, and then will make a decision whether to take it further with Schleich. I am treading carefully though because the last thing I want is for them to discontinue the smurfs if we moan too much and make them too expensive to produce. I hope everyone understands where I am coming from with this, I hate to send out anything imperfect, but most people know I am really fussy and my idea of perfect is far different to others usually, but I am having a nightmare with these 2005 smurfs. :banghead:
Page 1 of 1

Login