Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 1
Postby attombomb7 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:04 pm
Hey !

I just read on Mushroom Village that the smurfs are coming back on TV>>.

here is a excerpt ( wellok..I copied the entire post) :lol: from Pete's post!

Press Release Source: DIC Entertainment
The Smurfs Return to Television!

Monday November 22, 12:13 pm ET

DIC Entertainment Acquires From Warner Bros. Domestic Cable Distribution the Broadcast Rights to Hit Series The Smurfs
26 Half-Hour Episodes of the Classic Animated Series Begins Airing January 2005 on Top-Rated DIC Kids' Network
One of the Most Successful Television Series of All Time, "THE SMURFS" Dominated Saturday Morning Television for Nearly a Decade

BURBANK, Calif., Nov. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- DIC Entertainment (DIC), a leading independent children's entertainment company, has acquired from Warner Bros. Domestic Cable Distribution the broadcast rights to 26 half-hour episodes of one of the world's most popular and successful animated series in television history, The Smurfs. The announcement was made today by Andy Heyward, Chairman & CEO, DIC.
The Smurfs will begin airing in January 2005 on the top-rated DIC Kid's Network, a unique three-hour programming block designed to provide stations with children's programming that meets "core" FCC requirements. DIC has acquired the select episodes of The Smurfs that were produced with an educational basis to meet the standards of the programming block.

The Smurfs, a traditional animated television series produced by Hanna Barbera in the early 1980s, was first bought by Fred Silverman, President of the Fred Silverman Company & former CEO & President of NBC, to air on NBC where the series dominated Saturday morning for nearly a decade, boosting the network from last place to first place in kids, virtually overnight. The series became an international hit and still airs on major broadcast outlets around the world. In addition to a hit television series and a feature film, The Smurfs evolved into a global brand sensation with a successful line of toys, books and music. "What a great idea for DIC to bring The Smurfs back to television," comments Mr. Silverman. "I have no doubt that it will be as popular today as it was when it first aired nearly 25 years ago."

Mr. Heyward states, "I had the privilege to work at Hanna Barbera in the late 70s and early 80s and to collaborate closely with the original creator, Peyo. We watched the series command a 60 share rating on NBC. Ratings like that have not been seen before or since, and I believe we can bring the series to the top of the ratings charts once again on the DIC Kid's Network," he adds. "The Smurfs is one of those rare timeless jewels that became one of the first mega-entertainment brands for kids, and with the retro trend showing no signs of slowing down, we believe the environment is right to re-awaken this 'sleeping giant' to a new generation of young viewers"

Added Eric Frankel, President, Warner Bros. Domestic Cable Distribution, "After all these years, this series is just as entertaining, relevant and enjoyable as when it first aired. We couldn't be more pleased than to be introducing The Smurfs to a whole new generation of kids and, in the process, give a few parents a trip down memory lane."

David Ozer, Senior Vice President, Domestic Television, DIC comments, "We are thrilled to add The Smurfs, a wholesome and entertaining world-renowned series, to the DIC Kid's Network programming line-up. DIC will continue to be on the lookout to acquire quality product to offer our stations, advertisers and viewers as we gear up for a third season in 2005."

The Smurfs television series follows the adventures of the Smurf's, who live in the mushroom cottages of Smurf Village with their leader, Papa Smurf. The lively blue creatures, that captivated children around the globe for years, lead an almost perfect life if not for an evil wizard who spends his days trying to capture them. The Smurfs made their first appearance in 1956 when creator Peyo introduced them in a story of Johan & Peewit in "Le Journal de Spirou."

The DIC Kid's Network, launched in September 2003, reaches 100% of the U.S. markets and airs on over 450 stations. The programming block airs on major broadcast outlets, including local FOX, WB and UPN affiliates, and offers three separate exclusive programming feeds, along with a Spanish Language feed on virtually every series for the SAP channel (airing on over 200 different stations). The programming feeds are comprised of six half- hours of animated programs from DIC Entertainment's extensive library of over 3,200 half-hours of popular animated programming.

-Pete
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website
Hogatha's Fake and licenced Smurfs collection

http://mennoblue.net/
(my fake smurf collection ):)

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:17 pm
It's the old cartoons though isn't it? These cartoons show over here but at 6am or something silly, I'm not sure if they are still showing but they were a couple of months ago. I'm not getting up that time though! LOL
Postby attombomb7 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:47 pm
HI

yes it looks like the old cartoons...and they are on a special channel ..we have to pay for here!

so I won't be seeing it! :( :(

but then the DVD to me sounds like a better deal!
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website

Postby Syd Smurf » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:07 pm
We still have them on Boomerang here. Funny enough I was opening my smurf package yesterday and Jack got grumpy with me and told me to be quiet...he was watching the smurfs and I didn't even realise they were on. I think I may have to confess to Father Attom for my sin.

Dyar

Postby attombomb7 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:43 pm
hey!!

you'r lucky Father Attom was near by! and figured out that since you were also enjoying smurfs..all is equal!

:) :)
Image Attom

--

CHECK out my new website

Postby Fram » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:27 am
AFAIK, they are still showing on Flemish television (in children's primetime), and seem to have been on non-stop since my childhood.
:sheep: Bored of normality, why not go smurf? :sheep:

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:54 am
I just noticed the title to this topic, "telelevision" :laughing:
Page 1 of 1

Login