Home of the Smurf Community

Ask questions or discuss anything smurf related.
Page 14 of 22

Postby Lia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 am
I agree!! a super idea! So nice to see those pics! :D

Lia

Postby Tintin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:45 am
Hi all

It was since 2001 that my dad and me took a holiday.
So for us this trip was nice ........... even it was a short one.

Didn't knew Germany was so nice Dom ........

Greetings Tintin

Postby Cassiebsg » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 pm
Way to go Tintin! Great pics! :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Postby Smurfysmurf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:39 pm
The traveller will be flying to the US tomorrow :)

Will post of his Stuttgarter adventure this weekend.....including the latest from the little comic store which made two smurfers very very happy.
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Tintin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:56 pm
Hi Maureen

Have a nice flight and take care of both passengers !!!!!! :o

Greetings Tintin

Postby stampysmurf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:08 pm
What a great idea! You took some wonderful pictures! :D :D

Postby Tintin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:38 am
Hi

Thanks every one, we had a great time !!!!

Tintin

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 am
@Frank: If you should come to the area of Northrhine-Westfalia (which is the federal country where I live), I'd love to show you around. You may even bring your dad along. :D I have been to Rhineland-Palatin myself about twenty years ago and I loved it. My mum even said what a pity it was now that the holidays are over, since we always wanted to visit Stuttgart and we only went to the Black Forest and the French cities of Strassbourg and Mulhouse back then.

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:57 am
@Moey: I'm looking forward to your pics. As you know, I always always wanted to visit the shop. I'm also looking forward to see Tennessee again, for I haven't been to the states again. Have a safe trip home. :D

Postby Tintin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 am
Hi Dom

Thanks Dom !!! I will keep that in mind.
Now that i tasted Stuttgart i would like to see so more of the world :-D
There are already a few places i would love to visit.

If you are close to my home............. you are welcome to !!

Greetings Tintin

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:22 am
The WT is right now enjoying the beginning of summer in beautiful TN but more of that in a few days.

He told me it was time to share the picture from Stuttgart with everybody, and who am I not to do as I am told :crazy:

He enjoyed his time in Stuttgart very much and it was a lot of fun showing him the sights of the city that was my home for 24 years.

Stuttgart is the capitol of the German state Baden-Wurttemberg, which is in the South of Germany. The native language is Swabian...a very thick German dialect.
Stuttgart was founded around 960 AD to breed cavalry horses...the original name was Stuten Garten which means Garden of mares.
During WWII, Stuttgart was heavily bombarded by Allied Forces and more than half of it's buildings (mostly in the center of Stuttgart) was lost.

The main shopping street is the Koenigstrasse...a normal pedestrian street with lots of shops and department stores. Most are new buildings with no history..and the shops seem to change every time I go back there :)

The big tower at the end is the Mercedes Tower which is above the main train station. It will soon be torn down as part of the controversial "Stuttgart 21" :(( . Mercedes Benz has it's origin in Stuttgart and before the factories went off shore, nearly everybody who lived in Suttgart either worked for them themselves or had relatives working there.

The Koenigstrasse is split into two parts by the Schlossplatz which got it's name from the old and new castle which are placed right next to each other.

You see the new castle (built around 1750 for the new kings of Wurttemberg) in the background. It is now used by some State Ministries.

Statue of a Duke of Wurttemberg..not sure which one :oops:

Across the street from the new castle is the old castle which was built around 960 AD. It's home of the State Museum today and the beautiful court yard often is used for weddings. As a child I was fascinated by this castle because the stairs up the tower are so wide that horses can go up the stairs which was the purpose of it.

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:43 am
The old castle is surrounded by two plazas....on one side is the Schiller platz with the Schiller statue. The poet was born in Marbach which is about 1 hour away from Stuttgart

Schiller statue, which was the first Schiller statue erected in Germany

To the left of the plaza, is one of the oldest buildings, the so called Fruchtkasten, which was used to breed those cavalry horses in the middle ages. Behind it (the two towers) is the Stiftskirche..the largest and, I think, oldest church in Stuttgart (Protestant church)

On the other side of the old castle is the Karlsplatz...I have no idea which Karl it is named after...it's save to say, he was a king :)
His statue is in the middle of the plaza...it's on this plaza that the weekly fleamarket is hosted each Saturday

So he wouldn't get lost, we had the WT constantly look at the map of historical Stuttgart :)

After enjoying a Laugenbretzel from one of the Bretzelkoerble

he finally got to visit his little blue friends at the comic store

From nearly everywhere is Stuttgart you can see the TV tower, which in the 60s was the tallest in Europe. It's no longer in use, but still a favorite holiday destination for tourists and natives alike, as the panorama is unbelievable from up there

Can you see the old castle, new castle and Stiftskirche? WT was a bit afraid of falling down the TV tower so we quickly left again :)

Stuttgart has many other places to visit, but it was time to take the WT across the big pond to the beautiful South of the US... and so we finally landed in Chattanooga (picture is of the small airport in Chattanooga)

To be continued......

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Wandy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:51 am
Hi! Maureen;
Great pictures!!!!!!!! thanks for share with us,can't wait to see the States ones :D
Wandy :witch:

Postby Tintin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:38 am
Hi Maureen

A great report, thanks for the tour !!!!
What a nice city Stuttgart.
And what a history.

Can't wait to see the next report of the wt................
But i am sure he is tired from the big trip so i will wait for his next adventure.....................

Tintin

Postby Lia » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:37 am
Great to see the pics , especially the comicshop:))

Lia

Postby stampysmurf » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:35 pm
Thanks Maureen! I loved the one of the castle! :D And I think I would be afraid of falling down that tv tower also :)

Postby Cassiebsg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:28 am
Great pictures Mauren! :-D
Looking forward to the continuation of the saga. :D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:50 am
Thank you....I was originally planning on taking him to Chattanooga this weekend, but we are going to the Cornbread festival on Saturday so I think he will have fun there as well.....and overeat like the rest of us :)

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Smurfysmurf » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:16 am
Chattanooga has been devastated by a line of horrible storms yesterday so I don't think I will be taking WT there.

So far, we know of 27 fatalities in this area, but amazingly my house and property were spared...not even one tree is down. At one point, a circular cloud was sighted heading towards Cagle Mountain (where I live) so WT decided to watch it all at the window which of course is the worst thing you can do in a Tornado.

Parts of Chattanooga are destroyed...it's a black day for this part of TN and I don't think any of us have seen anything like this before. Right now, we are all trying to account for all of our friends and relatives.

The pictures don't show the storm very well, but I have taped some on video and may post it a bit later on
Attachments
009.jpg
009.jpg (28.35 KiB) Viewed 6292 times
008.jpg
008.jpg (28.88 KiB) Viewed 6292 times

Hidden in the Woods

Postby Tintin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:04 am
Hi Maureen

Well i am glad to read that you the pets and the WT are ok........
Take care !!!!!!!!!

Tintin
Page 14 of 22

Login