Home of the Smurf Community

Information about the community.
Page 1 of 4
Postby Rachel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:37 pm
Hi guys,

this may (or not) be a bit of a suprise but I have done a lot of soul searching recently and have decided to drop out of the hobby.
There are quite a few reason why I have made this decision, none of which are to do with anyone else personally, it is just that I am no longer really having any fun and at the end of the day, that is what a hobby should be about.

I suppose the two main reasons are time and finances, since we have moved house we just have not had as much spare money as before and I can't really see this changing in the near future but the time consideration is the real cruncher.
As some of you know, I started my career off as a professional double bassist but had to retire from this some years back due to shoulder problems. I now thoroughly enjoy my profession as a teacher but lately have been also getting into playing the bass guitar which does not cause the same problems as the double bass. Also I now seem to be doing more and more conducting and am about to start up a brand new ensemble with a friend of mine and this is going to take up an awful lot of time, effort and finances.
I think, as anyone who knows me well would agree, I like to give anything I am involved in 100% and I hope everyone understands that I feel it only fair to both myself and anyone involved in either the smurf side or the music side why I am making this decision.

At the end of the day, I have loved the last seven years or so and have made many very very good friends but I feel that if I try and keep things as they are I will end up unhappy and I would like to bow out on a happy note.

My intentions are to sell off most, if not all the collection as I basically need the money to help finance my music but I think I will always have a place in my heart for the little blue guys so who knows what will happen long in the future. I am sorry if anyone feels I am letting them down, this really has been a difficult decision for me and the last thing I want to do is to start messing anyone around which is why I wanted to let you all know as soon as possible what my feelings are.

I don't intend to just dash off, I would like to keep my membership here as I may well like to drop in and say hi. It is also going to take me a while to sell off our smurfs so even though I may not have much time for posting, I can see myself keeping in touch with smurfers, at least for the near future.

I have already Thanked the admin smurfs but I would also like to Thank all smurfers here for their contributions, laughs, love and general support you have given over the years. I never expected to make such good friends through either the internet or through the hobby. I had always been very wary of getting too personal through a computer but having met so many of you in person and just generally getting to know you all, this has taken me by suprise the most I think. All of you would always be welcome if you fancied a visit to Wales, smurfs or no smurfs.

Rach x

:grouphug:
Why is it called "common sense" when it is so rare.......
[Blue Imps Smurf Collection] [Bass Clef Strings] [Your Page]

Postby cal78 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:35 pm
I Don;t Know really what to say, be I'll be really sad to see you go, but hope you have good fortune in your new career. :(

Postby Dutchiesmurf » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:41 pm
I haven't been here long... but with what I've read and seen I considered you somewhat as the Queen of Smurfs. So it's rather sad to see you give it up... but I can understand your reasons.

My humble advice, if I may give some, is that you could always sell that enormous collection... but keep a bit for yourself... if only just to remember the Smurfy times.

Other than that I would like to wish you loads of good luck with your new hobbies and adventures

Postby Lia » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:09 pm
What a pity Rachel, but of course, you are right!
A hobby is supposed to give pleasure and when it no longer is a joy, it`s wise to end it!

I`m sure, everyone here is grateful for all the work that you did and all the messages that you wrote

Thanks!
Lia

Postby eggie smurf » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:26 pm
You already know this, Rach, but you will be very missed around here. And I know you will be successful in your music endeavours so I wish you all the luck in the world (although you won't need it!). I still intend to visit Wales someday so smurfs or no smurfs, be very wary :) :) :hug:
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby Smurf1303 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:29 pm
I'm very sorry to hear that Rachel but you must do what will make you happy. On a more personal note thanks for all the advice and pleasure your collection and knowledge have given me. I really hope you enjoy your new guitar persuits.

Postby Simon X » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:45 pm
:( Oh, I didn't expect this, especially after your tv appearance...But maybe that was a great highlight of collecting and now you are ready for something new. :D
So, I want to thank you for having realised this board and I wish you a great success on your "new" hooby. :D

Postby Tojo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:46 pm
I'm sitting here wiping a tear from my eye :( Rachel, you've done so much for the smurfing community & I really want to wish you the very best with what you're doing. I can fully understand your decision, it's just come as a total surprise. After all you were buying like crazy at the last Brussels fair:)

As far as selling your collection goes, I hope you get a good price for it. You've got so many fantastic smurfs that are desirable to lots of us collectors (I can think of one in particular) so I'm sure you'll be able to finance your music with it.

I'm still in shock.... I think I need to go away for a few hours & let this sink in........ :(

Please, please keep in contact with us whatever the future holds :D :-D :cheers:

tojo
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby smurfieduck » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:52 pm
I first read your message a little while ago, Rachel but I was too shocked to respond and I also felt sad. :( Though, having gone away and thought about what you have said, I feel that given the cirumstances, you have made a decision that is right for you. So, Rachel, I wish you every success with your music career and lots of happiness for the future. You will always be the 'Smurf Queen' to me!!! :-D
smurfieduck :-)

Carry on Smurfin' - and have a Smurfin' good day!!!!

Postby Pitufo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:54 pm
Thanks Rachel!!!!! :hug:
JOAQUÍN

Postby FlamingO » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 pm
Best of luck with your guitar playing, and your ensemble Rachel :-D
Thank you so much for all the time and efforts you have put into the forum, much appreciated :cheers:

Would be great if you did pop in occassionally just so we know all is good :cheerz: :okay: and cuase we'll miss you :( 8)

Postby Smurfysmurf » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:20 pm
Rach,
you have done an awesome job with this forum, and you will always be a legend in the smurfing community :hug:

I hope we will stay in contact and you will keep us updated how you are doing.

Thank you also for your invitation to Wales..Like Fishy, I do intend to visit Wales again one day..and it would be great to meet you...smurfs or no smurfs :hug:

I will miss you tremedously, Rachel..but I know you have thought this thru

thank you again for all you have done for me personally, too :hug:
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/
===============================

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby SmurfingH » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:33 pm
Rachel, I've only just "met" you so am sad that I won't get to know you personally. You're doing the right thing for you though and that is what counts. It would be great to see you popping in here from time. I wish you all the luck in the world with the music. If they ever come out with a smurfy orchestra I hope you'll still get it! :)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:18 pm
You gave me my tutu.......

You gave me my couch......... :pinksofa:

:( :( :(

Give me Kenny and Kyle and we shall call it quits :D :) :)

It will take more than quitting your collecting smurfs to get rid of me missus :neener:

Many many thanks for everything you have done for me, i still love ya :cheek: :hug:

:-D :beer:

Postby Gerda » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:56 pm
I'm sad to see you leave the smurf hobby but I wish you all the best in your music plans. Smurfs or no smurfs I sure hope you drop by just to say hi!! :( :(

gerda
happily smurfing along

Postby astro1 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:43 pm
Best of luck to you.

Postby Syd Smurf » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:49 pm
Hi Rach

I have already responded to your announcement with the mods (no, not talking about Rod Stewart) but I wanted to support your decision publicly as well.

First of all.....you will be irreplaceable around here.

Everyone here knows what you have done for them personally (like Bringing Graham out of the tutu closet for example) as well as all of the time & effort you put into many a website of the members here including my own. It was you in the beginning that made me want to hang around this forum when I was still pretty new to computers and the internet. I wasn't overly confident posting stuff, but you took the time to make me feel welcome here. You always replied in a warm and friendly manner to my posts that didn't make me feel stupid or out of my depth on a public forum. It really helped to make me feel welcomed since I didn't know anyone on here in the early days which was really kind of intimidating at first.

From what I know of you from the times we've met in person and from chatting over the last 4 years or so, I kind of gathered how important the music side has been to your life. All I can say is that I am really excited for you with your new direction. You seem to have too much talent to not play more, and to challenge yourself in this way. I can only wish you the best of luck and hope whatever you want to achieve will be a total success. Knowing you like we all do, with the attention to detail and getting things tasefully done and just right.....I am confident you will always be successful in what you do if you put in the time & effort it deserves.

Your friendship, kindness, knowledge, great sense of humour and just basically good attitude will be so missed by everyone.

THANK YOU FOR EVERY LITTLE & BIG THING YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME AND THE FORM OVER THE LAST 4 YEARS :cheers: :hug:

Dyar

PS - Love ya too Rach (if Graham can, then so can I :-D )

Postby Max » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:20 pm
I am sad..... :(
Thanks Rachel for everything.
Will never forget our crazy discussions about smurfs and sellers at Passion. :cheers:
You'll always be here with us!

Max

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:56 pm
That's very very sad....
I understand how you are feeling and I can completely understand about your feelings quitting smurf collecting :(

Postby Yonna » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:11 am
Dear Rachel!
We shall miss you. You know more of the smurfs than many of us together and it feels like we're losing a guru and a teacher. Your website has been a huge help uncountable times!

Despite all I still understand your decision. You're making a huge decision and I know it wasn't easy. Remember, you will still have us as your friends.

We all love you!
:grouphug:
Go ahead! Smurf my day!
Page 1 of 4

Login