Home of the Smurf Community

Slightly more serious topics for smurf collectors including promo smurfs, smurfy discoveries, unlicensed smurfs, playsets, smurfy items etc
Page 1 of 2
Postby SmurfingH » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:40 pm
I promised you something special and here it is!

As we all know, in the 70s and 80s smurfs were sold in garages in England run by the National company. A few weeks ago, I was contacted via my website by a very nice lady who had a whole load of posters she wanted to sell. These posters came from a garage as her brother-in-law worked at Dereham Motors in Dereham, Norfolk, and had ordered them for her sons. The posters are so huge, that most have been packed away for years in their original boxes. Some of the smaller ones, especially the Christmas one, have been used. Well, last week Mum and Dad, on their way somewhere else, collected these posters from the lady and I finally have them here! :-D I haven't got photos of all them yet, but I thought you'd like to see the pictures the lady sent me.

These posters are 122cms x 122cms:

This one is 76cms x 102cms (there are 2 of these):

This one is 76cms x 102cms:

51cms x 76cms:

46cms x 91cms:

51cms x 38cms:

61cms x 86cms:

23cms x 23cms:
(There are 2 of the fishing one.)

There is also a poster with the names of the winners of the Spot the Difference Competition and a letter and sample winners' token for the same competition. The letter asks the garage to honour the tokens. I'll scan those later. :D

I think you'll agree it's a nice collection and a good reason to have a website. :-D :) :)

Postby Lia » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:13 pm
it is Hilary!, it is!

what a super unique and orginal collection! Congrats!

Lia

Postby Tojo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:15 pm
:shock: :shock: Wow Hilary, you are one very lucky smurfer!!!

By the way, I'd love to have a "flame retardent paper children's playsuit" :) :) :cheers:
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby bwalters » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:32 pm
I was going to post what I got today but after seeing what Hilary got I don't want to let everyone down. Great find Hilary. How many more of these you have?
Mr Bill

Postby eggie smurf » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:50 pm
Those are excellent, Hilary! They will look very nice on your walls if you have the space for them all :D
:dory: Staci :dory:

Postby bwalters » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:58 pm
Yea Hilary if you don't have room. I do so just send them to me. I can get rid of my fridge and stove I don't use either. My TV has to stay I have a chair that no one every sits on and my kitchen table can go. I can get rid of my coffee table no no that doesn't use wall space. I guess I can hang them on doors. LOL I bet not many people have those you sure are lucky. Bill

P.S. Hilary the guy on ebay raised his price $10 and I don't see the cup anymore.
Mr Bill

Postby FlamingO » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:05 am
Thanks for showing the posters Hilary :-D I remember the National Health Service one :D and definatley used to have the 'Service with a Smurf' in aeroplane smoke one :-D I thought I remembered the blank smurfs on that poster being for stickers ?? but maybe they were just for colouring in :-? If anybody has any sticker shapes that match though would be interesting to know. Although I expect that the poster I had was a much smaller give-away version :-?
The Smurf playsuit ''I'm A Smurf'' is very, very, funny :) too funny :lol: 8-)
Lovely posters Hilary :cheers:

Postby bradley » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:57 am
that is an amazing collection of posters Hilary! Not too many of those posters would have survived after the original promotions in the petrol stations. They would have been thrown in the bin. So they would be very rare indeed. Amazing they've been kept in such great condition for all these years. very lucky. I'd suggest keeping them safely stored away to preserve them so that they don't get ruined, discolour, fall apart, damaged. If you want to put them on your wall, have them framed - they would look amazing framed!

funny, having a website does attract quite a few emails regarding selling smurfs. I get a few but usually mine are "here's my link to my ebay account, buy my smurfs"... :banghead:

Postby SmurfingH » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:59 am
I certainly hit gold on these! :) Sue, I think that poster is for stickers. It's not too large so possibly is the one you had. I've seen a couple of those on ebay but that's all.

Regrettably, I can't display them all and would be hard pushed to find wall space for even one of the really large ones. :( I do have a buyer for those I'm not going to keep (a forum member :D ) so I'll let you know what happens to them. :-D

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:07 am
Wow congratulations Hilary on these rare items !!! :shock: :-D :cheerz:

Postby barrufet » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:43 pm
Thanks, they're great !
I have images of other National posters, I'll send them tomorrow if I can.
regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby barrufet » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:37 am
I had these images...
poster 27x19 inchs - maybe from 1981
poster around 1980
poster by National Benzol Co Ltd 24X24 inches
regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby barrufet » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:42 am
There are LOTS of other smurf items from National.
My favourite are this smurf filled with Bath salts from 1978,
the funny stickers, the keychains,.. There is even a Moon map!

National Benzole Promo 1978 2 filled with Bath salts 6 inc

10 Original National Smurf Stickers 1978

National petrol keyring2 70's
regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby barrufet » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:42 am
Here is the moon map.

regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby Smurfysmurf » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:20 am
Cool items :D

Have you ever used the National Moon map? :) :) :) :)
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/
===============================

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Tojo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:46 am
:) :) :)

I was just thinking that too....
Tojo McTonyson - Okarben's Bagpiper Extraordinaire.... :partyon:

Postby Ritter_Schlumpfenherz » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:19 am
Wow the moon map and the cutie smurf filled with Bath salts are adorable. :smitten: Congrats Barrufet and thanks for sharing them!!! :cheers:

Postby SmurfingH » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:01 am
Very nice items Barrufet! :-D

Postby barrufet » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:17 pm
As far as I know I think there are 3 different smurfs, here you have the other two.

regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby André » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:06 pm
Here is a Picture of how those vinylsmurfs were sold in 1979. :-D

Only 3 available. :cheers:
Attachments
nationalvinyl1979.jpg
nationalvinyl1979.jpg (94.98 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
André

In Sweden the smurfs are blue ( and yellow).

Website: The collectors guide to the smurfs ( under construction) : http://thecursedcountry.com/

Smurfy blog: http://smurfblog.thecursedcountry.com/

Login