Home of the Smurf Community

Find all the news and rumours about the Smurf movie here
Page 1 of 1
Postby Zackmak » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:41 am
Over here in Canada, I bought the steel case (or 'steelbook', as some call it) version from Future Shop (an electronics media store exactly like Best Buy in the U.S.A.). There is only one style of steelbook available for this movie, worldwide.

The steel case has an upper body shot of Clumsy on cover, waving.

The 3 discs include:

1. 2D regular dvd copy
2. 2D Bluray copy
3. 2D reglular dvd copy of 'The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol' (though this copy is in a loose paper disc slip, and does not have its own holding spot within the case)

The special features are split between both the regular dvd and blu-ray copies. With this steelcase version, all known special features are available (unlike if you bought just the blu-ray, or just the regular dvd)

This steelbook version is available only at three countries worldwide and in limited numbers:

Canada (online and in-store retailer 'Future Shop'); limited number is unknown to me, though I read online that it's most likely 1000

Italy (online only at wesite www.DVD-store.it); limited number is 1,500 and each steelbook has a tiny sticker on the front cover with a number stamped on it, telling you what number out of 1,500 you have.

Germany (retailers Mediamarkt and Saturn - don't know if their online stores will offer this as well; also, online at website www.amazon.de). limited number is unknown, though I read online that it's most likely 1,500.

Depending where it was bought, each of the steelbook content is different. The Canadian version details were already described above.

Italy: 1 disc - 2D blu-ray and 2D regular dvd on one disc.

Germany Mediamarkt/Saturn: 1 disc - 3D blu-ray and 2D blu-ray on one disc.

Germany amazon.de: steelbook packed in cardboard packaging along with 3 loose movie Jakks Pacific figures (same as what is currently in the market). They are Papa, Smurfette and Clumsy. 2 discs - 3D blu-ray and 2D blu-ray on one disc. The other disc has the 2D blu-ray 'The Smurfs: A Christmas Carol'.

Special features are included on both the Italian and German copies, but I don't know to what extent, unfortunately.

Hope this information helps. I may post pictures of these later, if they are easy to find on the internet.
Attachments
Smurfs Movie steelbook Canada.jpg
Smurfs Movie steelbook Canada.jpg (2.68 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
Smurfs Movie steelbook Italy.jpg
Smurfs Movie steelbook Italy.jpg (2.93 KiB) Viewed 3508 times

Postby Smurfysmurf » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 am
Thank you for the information..I have seen these on ebay and was not sure if they are worth the money...what do you think? For how much are they selling in Canada?
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby Zackmak » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:32 am
The remaining photos of the steelbook that couldn't fit in my original posting.
Attachments
Smurfs Movie steelbook inside art.jpg
Smurfs Movie steelbook inside art.jpg (4.01 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
Smurfs Movie steelbook outside art.jpg
Smurfs Movie steelbook outside art.jpg (2.97 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
Smurfs Movie steelbook Germany.jpg
Smurfs Movie steelbook Germany.jpg (4.42 KiB) Viewed 3507 times

Postby Zackmak » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 am
Thanks for viewing, Maureen. In my personal opinion, the steelbook is the best exclusive (available in Canada) for this movie. Better than the Walmart gift set with the plush clip-on 'head' (best of luck trying to find a head that even remotely matches what is pictured on the box. Such a sloppy quality job; and also better than the Best Buy Canadian exclusive of the activity sheets - they are so basic, and hardly worth displaying).

I bought my steelbook in-store for $22.99 plus tax the day it was released early December 2011. I don't know if they've sold out at the in-store locations around my city. As of today, at the online Future Shop website, they are selling for $25.99 plus tax and delivery, BUT are sold out. I don't think they will get more in stock only because these are a limited run. Best bet would be e-bay.

My thoughts are that Sony could have done so much better with exclusives, even better than a steelbook. The fact that it was Christmas when it was released, and A Christmas Carol was released with the movie, a Christmas ornament would have made perfect sense. Even an exclusive figure (by Jakks), with or without an ornament string. Or a mini-statue of a figure or scene. I've seen these ideas produced as store-exclusives before.

We got a great 2-D Christmas short film, though, so I appreciate that as a fan. That was available worldwide, in many retail/online stores. Just store-exclusives needed improvement.

Hope you find the steelbook!

Postby Smurfysmurf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:06 pm
I received mine today..here are a couple of pictures. This one is from Canada..I may look for the German one when I am over there in about two months

:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby paolo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:12 am
I don't know if the Italian version is exclusive of Italy or you can find it somewhere else, but the store nearby has 4 of them and I doubt they will sell out soon. So, if you want I can buy one for you and then send it over for the exact price of the item plus shipping.
I don't know if it matters, but the serial numbers in the box are in the 1200's and the price is 26 or 28 euros, I don't remember exactly, and besides Italian and English, there should be also German dubbing.
Page 1 of 1

Login