Home of the Smurf Community

Find all the news and rumours about the Smurf movie here
Page 1 of 1
Postby barrufet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 pm
What if we create a Facebook group to demand Sony and Peyo family to do a good "The smurfs 2" movie in 2013?
I haven't read too many objections to the first movie here. I don't understand why.
I hope you realize a second smurf movie can't be like the first one. Second one must be much better, the whole movie should occur in the smurf village and it should be respectful to their creator Peyo.
The movie could feature some characters from the TV series. Human beings from XXI century NOT allowed.
Only Gargamel with his cat and others like Johan, Peewit, Bigmouth, etc.
Wouldn't you like it?? :-?
200 milion people asking for a "The smurfs 2" good movie...it would be a success... no more NY... no more Neil Patrick Harris, no more Jayma Mays, no more Sofia Vergara... no annoying human baby either...
If we don't stop this stupid plot what we will have in the sequel? Smurfs driving electric cars with smart phones having breakfast in Burger King? Don't you think this is stupid?
Smurfs live in the middle ages !
regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby Smurfysmurf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42 pm
I am sorry, as much as I respect your opinion..I don't necessarily agree with you :-?

I actually thought that the movie was done very nicely and that Peyo's memory was honored by references to "his" smurfs and the background of the comic books. I was also positively surprised that they kept the innocence of the smurfs intact which made them so lovable in the cartoon series.

Overall, I thought this was the perfect smurf movie..keeping their own smurfiness intact while bringing into 2011 and making them known to a new audience. You do have to go with the times without losing the essence of the original story, and like I said, I think they've achieved that..and did much better than I expected.

I am on the record of having been a huge critic of bringing the smurfs into the modern times...and I agree...the danger of a sequel is that they will overdo it like they normally do with a sequel. At the same time I don't think that a movie story in the village will bring the general audience into the theaters....it's great for a cartoon series that lasts `15-20 minutes per episode but a movie usually lasts for 90 minutes.

You will also have to consider the cost of making such a movie. The producers said they wanted to bring in more smurfs and had them all lined up, but in the end it was too expensive.

Sorry to disagree...I hope we can keep the discussion going :cheers:

P.S. Everybody I spoke to who saw the movie loved...and most for non smurf collectors :D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter
Postby PonySmurf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 pm
What if we create a Facebook group to demand Sony and Peyo family to do a good "The smurfs 2" movie in 2013?
I do agree with you on many of your points for a more Smurfy sequel, but sadly, I think the first film had too much success (financially) for the studio to take directive from fans at this point.

Postby barrufet » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:56 pm
I really didn't expect USA people would share my point of view. You know smurfs since 1981 due to HB series. Your conception of the smurfs world is distorted a lot. Where are smurfs from? Belgium. Talking about belgian people, put yourself in their place. What would you think if belgian people did a movie about any american character (Superman, Scooby-Doo, Calvin and Hobbes) and the plot was very uncommon?
One example of a plot : Superman travels to Egypt where he knows Cleopatra. Then he travels to Spain where he becomes a bullfighter. He finds a time gate and is able to get back to his time. Would you like to see an american idol like this doing those kind of things, there, in that period? Of course not, you would think the director has gone crazy and the movie wouldn't be fun at all. So that's the same case. Smurfs are great in their smurf world not in ours.
European people who know smurfs since 1958 from the original comic books can't understand what the hell are doing the smurfs in the city of NY in the year 2011. They found it just ridiculous.
First movie has become a success, this is true. One of the main interest was to see the smurf village and the smurfs living on there. That's all. When smurfs travel in tima to NY the magic disappears.
Sony Pictures and Peyo family are a bit richer today. They were enormously rich and now they are even richer. What they want to do now? Another smurf movie in USA? Las Vegas this time? Los Angeles? NY again? What if they think about a better plot this time? What about Peyo, the "creator" of smurfs? What would he think about smurfs being in NY playing with the PlayStation console?
If Sony and Peyo family respect Peyo they should be ashamed of what they've done. They can fix it in the following movies.
I think they can do a movie with all the action in the smurf village. Why not? They are rich !!
Here you have it:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-smurf ... 3605748265
regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:10 pm
Have you seen " A Christmas Carol"?
Would be interested what you think of it.

The Spanish version is on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbVKqjsz ... re=related

BTW...have you watched the smurf movie or are you going by what you have seen and/or read about it?

And just for the record....I may be living in the US now..but I grew up in Germany and have collected smurfs since the 70s. I was very concerned about this movie as well and afraid that the smurf would loose their smurfiness. I don't think they did (except for the weird piece when they played on the Wii which was an unncessary part in the movie). I actually think Peyo would have been proud of this movie, which brought smurfs closer to today's generation and still kept most older collectors happy (except for obviously the purists).

And lastly...the new movie will be shot in Canada..and I assume play in Canada.

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby barrufet » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:39 pm
Hi Maureen
Have you seen " A Christmas Carol"?
Would be interested what you think of it.
I like it ! I like the look of the new smurfs and I like both animations.
The Spanish version is on YouTube
where did you find the link? :shock: I was looking for it yesterday with no success.
BTW...have you watched the smurf movie or are you going by what you have seen and/or read about it?
I went to the cinema (on july 30th) and I have bought the DVD and Blu-Ray.
I liked it a bit the first time (6 in a scale from 0 to 10) but the second time in home.... I realised it can't be this way !
...(except for obviously the purists).
I could accept first movie IF second movie has the action in the smurf village all the time.
And lastly...the new movie will be shot in Canada..and I assume play in Canada.
and...is this good news? Canada, US, even Belgium...who cares.
Smurfs live in ancient times.
regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:54 pm
It is funny, because as I was watching the Christmas Carol yesterday, I was thinking of you :D

It does work better in the village..I agree with that...and another funny thing is that as I started watching the smurf movie yesterday, I turned it off half way thru the NYC scenes...I did prefer the village scenes as well. Just don't know if a full motion picture in the village will be supported by the general audience.

The thing with this movie is...when watching the extras and listening to the producers and writers, I got the feeling they did not try to appeal to smurf fans..but wanted to appeal to the general audience...but were hoping to also appeal to us (meaning smurf collectors who like the "classic smurfs").

Anyway...knowing some of the atrocities Hollywood has done when reviving old US cartoons...I still think they did good. Would Belgium writers have done better? Probably..but it would not have been this success.

While writing this, I was thinking again of the Christmas Carol..and how this is pretty close to the smurfs we know...I think we can send a message to Hollywood by embracing this story and making it a success as well :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby barrufet » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:12 pm
Just don't know if a full motion picture in the village will be supported by the general audience.
That's the point: what it should be? A tribute to Peyo or a blockbuster?
A blockbuster of course but why not trying to do a blockbuster showing respect to Peyo's work?
I think they could do a good movie with all the action in the smurf village, like the xmas short. There are hundred of stories to adapt. The purple/black smurfs would be a good one, also the smurf king, the making of the smurfette, even the magic flute story with Johan and Peewit. I won't stand another movie happening in the XXI century with all the human troubles. What will the smurfs do there again? There's no excuses. Everybody knows the danger already, travel through time again won't be a good idea.
Anyway...knowing some of the atrocities Hollywood has done when reviving old US cartoons...
Now we're talking ! :-D
Would Belgium writers have done better? Probably..but it would not have been this success.
yes it wouldn't have been this success but all real smurf collectors would have loved the movie. I understand they want to make money but at what price?
I think we can send a message to Hollywood by embracing this story and making it a success as well :D
well I already have created this Facebook group. When it reaches one milion people I think they will listen to us.
regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby steveparkes » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:12 am
I am glad they decided to make a movie, and I didn't mind the animation..I just think when they start to introduce things from popular culture (like smurfette saying 'I kissed a smurf and I liked it) it becomes wrong. I know that Katy Perry does the voice for smurfette, but would smurfette EVER say that kind of thing?? It's those kind of things that bug me about the film.

Also, whilst we are on the subject of the film..why does only the US get to have the 22minute christmas short???? doesn't the rest of the world exist?? :???:
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:14 am
Steve, I read it was available in the UK as well..I think Tesco sells it :D

Hidden in the Woods

Postby steveparkes » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:31 am
really Maureen?? I couldn't find the one with the short listed anywhere - Thanks I will go have a look again :D
Long, long ago, deep in the forest, there was a hidden village where tiny creatures lived. They called themselves the Smurfs. They were good.

http://www.nationalfriends.co.uk

Postby barrufet » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:24 am
Yes, the xmas short is available everywhere.
regards
barrufet
Barcelona

Postby Tracker Smurf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:45 am
I don't think we will see a movie set entirely in the smurf village....but I think it would be neat if maybe they did a b story that takes place in the village (or at tleast the meidieval times that the Smurfs takes place in) that overlaps with an A story in our world. We could get to see more smrufs that way without it being overcrowded. Though my personal preference would be for the whole thing to take palce in the Smurf World and perhaps have people from our world come there. It is a sequel and I don't think they are going to want to ditch the concepts from the first movie. I think either way we are likely to see more of the Smurf village. The Christmas Carol (and the fact they even made it) Makes me think that the creators even saw that as something they would like to do after the movie was made. I do like the film, but I for one would have liked to hear them talk in Smurf more....it seems like they use the word heavily at points but drop it for most of the movie.

Postby barrufet » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:51 pm
To have the same human characters would mean the smurfs would have to travel again through the same time-gate to meet them.
That wouldn't be credible at all. I think Sony' people should search for a very different script this time. This is my opinion. :neener:
regards
barrufet
Barcelona
Page 1 of 1

Login