Home of the Smurf Community

Local smurfy events and news. Announce news here that is local to your country / area.
Page 1 of 1
Postby Midnight » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:31 pm
Hi,

Today I started making my own website :cheers:
It's the first time I do this, it's a free website on webnod and I have a question (only one question at this moment :) ) ; can I freely add links from websites?
I mean without asking permission first to the owner of the site?
Postby Cassiebsg » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:08 pm
Normally ppl want/wish others to link to they sites, so no you don't need to ask permission to link to a site. However, if you want to direct link to pictures or articles, then ask, as many don't look too kind at that type of linking, and some even block that possibility (since you are directly "stealing" the sites bandwidth).

Some sites provide banners and such that you can use when linking to that site, so do use those if the site you are linking too provides that. Also the author of the site might wish to know that you have linked him, and wish to add a link back to your site as a gesture of "thank you for the link". :)

In short: You don't need to ask permission to link to the main page of any site.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...
Postby Midnight » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:57 pm
Normally ppl want/wish others to link to they sites, so no you don't need to ask permission to link to a site. However, if you want to direct link to pictures or articles, then ask, as many don't look too kind at that type of linking, and some even block that possibility (since you are directly "stealing" the sites bandwidth).

Some sites provide banners and such that you can use when linking to that site, so do use those if the site you are linking too provides that. Also the author of the site might wish to know that you have linked him, and wish to add a link back to your site as a gesture of "thank you for the link". :)

In short: You don't need to ask permission to link to the main page of any site.
Thank you for the information :D
I've got already a few sites in mind and blue cavern will surely be part of it.
Maybe I will wait until the pictures of our collection are on the website ; I don't think people will enjoy much of it without any pictures :)
However, if any one wants to take a look, you can find it at www.littleblueones.webnode.be
Suggestions are always welcome and anyone can feel free to correct my spelling (english is not my mother language).

But now first, I'm going to look if I can share links with this free version of webnote.
I hope I can use the banners as links that looks better.
Postby Midnight » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:44 pm
Yes!
I can add links with the banner :cheers:
Postby Smurfysmurf » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:16 pm
I like it a lot...and thanks for the banner exchange. I will add your banner to my website as well as the links page on here :D

Just one little hint....I noticed when I clicked on the link to BlueCavern on your website, that it did not open a new tab, but took me directly to the forum on the same page.
If you can, try to make a link that opens in a new page, this way your visitors stay on your website when opening up the link to another one.

Here is a link to my link page...if you click on any banner on there, you see it opens in a new tab while you also stay on my website :D

http://www.hiddeninthewoods.com/links.html
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter
Postby Midnight » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:37 pm
I like it a lot...and thanks for the banner exchange. I will add your banner to my website as well as the links page on here :D

Just one little hint....I noticed when I clicked on the link to BlueCavern on your website, that it did not open a new tab, but took me directly to the forum on the same page.
If you can, try to make a link that opens in a new page, this way your visitors stay on your website when opening up the link to another one.

Here is a link to my link page...if you click on any banner on there, you see it opens in a new tab while you also stay on my website :D

http://www.hiddeninthewoods.com/links.html
Thanks for liking it, it's fine to hear that, especially because it's just in a beginning fase for now.
I'm so happy to read you will add my banner too :D

I'm gonna check this ; it should take people to the homepage instead of the forum.
I don't know if I can fix it to open in a new page (free version of webnode), but it's a very good hint.
Postby Midnight » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:56 pm
It's possible and seems to work :cheers:
Wouldn't have thought of that myself at this stage ; thanks :D
Postby The Smurf Collector » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:53 am
All the best with your website Midnight. I really admire people who create a website around their smurf passion. Most mornings while I have breakfast I will have a look at a few different smurf sites to see if they have added something new. It's a very relaxing way to start a day!
Keep Smurfin

Kath B

Try smurfing this: http://www.smurfs.com.au
Postby Arno » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:59 pm
Actually, that is a big problem of the forum : when you click on a link, it does not open a new window, so you leave blue cavern... except when you think to open in a new tab, that I never think of :angry:
Postby Midnight » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:26 pm
All the best with your website Midnight. I really admire people who create a website around their smurf passion. Most mornings while I have breakfast I will have a look at a few different smurf sites to see if they have added something new. It's a very relaxing way to start a day!
Thanks very much :D
Postby Midnight » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:41 pm
Yesterday I had some trouble with the pictures I add ; suddenly a few dissapeared and even if I inserted them again, all I saw was a black frame :(
I logged out and in again ; the pictures came back :D
I have a lot to learn and I think Webnote has its troubles now and then, but I'm happy that in the meantime the 42 first pictures are on the web :cheers:
I must admit that the funniest part is analizing each of the smurf singulary looking for the markings and taking pictures of them :smitten:
Postby Smurfysmurf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:36 am
:) :) :) :)

Just a word of warning....my collection increased rapidly after I started with my website and started looking at the markings and color variations :-D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter
Postby Midnight » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 pm
:) :) :) :)

Just a word of warning....my collection increased rapidly after I started with my website and started looking at the markings and color variations :-D
Don't say that or I will have to delete my website :razz: LOL
There is no place enough in our living room for placing so much smurfs :(

For the moment I have a lot of work with taking pictures and anilyzing each smurf for the markings = less time to look out for more smurfs :-D
Last week we ordered a lot from a second hand site in our country and it seems we got corrupted ; smurfs are paid but not sent :angry:
As we can proove (by the shipment compagny) they are not sent I went to the police station and they're making work of tracing the owner of the account number, hopefully we'll get our money back either the smurfs will still be sent (if this persons really owns those smurfs).

That said, it's the first and hopefully last bad experience ordering smurfs from second hand sites.
But we keep our head forwards : in fact we've seen a pretty astronaut smurf (we still don't have him) we're on.

Next step is also making a banner for my website :cheers:

Greets from Belgium
Postby Midnight » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:21 am
I have some problems with my website.
As I wanted to put pictures which can be shared on facebook and other media, I had to create a "list" in webnode.
So they told me at least, because each picture gets its own page this way + a share button.

Creating a list was no problem, but the pictures are looking too small.
This is a picture of 471 kb and look at the result : http://littleblueones.webnode.be/products/test/
Only when you click on the picture the size is acceptable :banghead:
And facebook shares the small picture, that doesn't help.
I even tried with picures of over 1mb but the result stays the same.

I contacted the helpcenter of webnode, they answer my mails but it seems they don't know the answer to my question/problem.
Always referring on the fact that facebook chooses itself in what size pictures are shared, not really seeing the problem that the pictures are already too small on the website.

Meanwhile I haven't updated my webite since a few weeks.
I hope to do that soon but been trying everything to fix the other problem.

I don't know if anyone could help me here? If anyone has an idea how to make those pictures look bigger?

I had so much ideas for pictures which I would photoshop to write a quote on to share on facebook and other media.

Smurfy hugs from Belgium...
Postby Cassiebsg » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:42 pm
Seems like that "webnote" is designed to look like that. A small thumbnail picture that links to a bigger picture.

You could open an account on a dedicated photo website, like imgur, flirk, photobucket... they are free and you can then show the picture on it's proper size by just linking directly to the picture there.

EDIT:
Just a test to see if I can link directly to your picture:

EDIT 2: Guess they block outside linking. :???:

EDIT 3: PS - You picture is way over too big, btw. A good internet size is about 800x600 at 72 to 150dpi.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...
Postby Midnight » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:37 am
Seems like that "webnote" is designed to look like that. A small thumbnail picture that links to a bigger picture.

You could open an account on a dedicated photo website, like imgur, flirk, photobucket... they are free and you can then show the picture on it's proper size by just linking directly to the picture there.

EDIT:

EDIT 3: PS - You picture is way over too big, btw. A good internet size is about 800x600 at 72 to 150dpi.
Thank you for trying :D
I'll adjust the size and try this on my website.
Postby Midnight » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:29 pm

EDIT:

Thank you for trying :D
I'll adjust the size and try this on my website.
EDIT : I tried it with tinypic (can adjust the size there) but the website only shows the name of the link, not the picture. Only the picture when clicking on link. But thanks anyway!
Postby Midnight » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:38 am
But you helped me think also, Cassie :D
On a normal page (not list) it's not a problem to show the pictures in a good size.
The problem is that I can't share them from there.
But if I create a page on facebook with the same pictures and I hyperlink those to the pictures on my website then it will be possible for me & my visitors to share those :cheers:
Didn't try it yet, just thinking for the moment.
Someone from webnode told me they would contact the technical support and ask for a solution.
Postby Midnight » Fri May 15, 2015 6:33 pm
Even with the support of webnode I didn't succeed to make the pictures look better on the website, so I created a facebook page with the same pictures and hyperlinked those to the ones on the facebook page. Now we can share them :cheers:
Here are the first pictures & Quotes on my website : http://littleblueones.webnode.be/pictures-and-quotes/

:)
Page 1 of 1

Login