Home of the Smurf Community

This is the place to discuss making smurfy scenes and showing off your smurf displays. Let your artistic imaginations run wild.
Page 1 of 1
Postby XoioX2000 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:14 pm
Could someone shed some light on how to make rocks for a Scenary/Display?

Like the ones in Syd Smurf's room. The texture looks fantastic.

Cheers,

David
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave
Postby attombomb7 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:50 pm
hey!

I think the easiest way is to do paper mache.... the rocks you may see for train sets are a good way to get moutains too!..they are usually made of fiber glass...

local library should have a paper mache hobby book..

Attom :D :D

Postby Syd Smurf » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:53 am
Hi David

The mountain in my display is made from fibreglass. I actually bought mine from a garden shop and then using a jigsaw cut it in half so I could have 2 mountains.

Originally I tried using papier-mache over a chicken wire cage. However it just wasn't going to look as good as what I wanted and when I saw the mountain in the nursery on the way to work every day I just had to have it as nothing else I could make would look as good. Unfortunately I didn't know that the factory that makes them was about a 4 minute drive away from the nursery and I could of had one designed to suit my needs with little ledges for houses and other scenery.

Other ideas are using styrofoam from packaging to shape the mountan and then painting it. Some people use plaster as well.

In the old display I actually used large rocks that I found on the side of the road as nothing looks like real rocks than.....well real rocks. I then painted them the same colour so they looked the mountain display I had. The old mountain display was actually made from 2 boogie boards. I cut them in half so I had 2 lots each and then carved the edging in. See pic below.

If you have any other questions about them I will try my best to answer them or if I missed anything let me know.

Dyar
Postby attombomb7 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:43 pm
I can't help it dyar!! but I am dying for a BIG mac !! everytime I see that
\McDonalds house!!

very kool!! village!!

have you tried electric trains set yet??? oops!!!!!!!!!!! I better shut up!!

that is another whole addiction!!!

Attom :D :D

Postby Syd Smurf » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:04 am
Hi Attom

No I have never been into trains or anything like that....I am just a smurf nut when it comes to things like this. My brother was a train person and he had lots and was going to do a display but he only got as far as nailing the tracks on the board and that's the way they stayed for years. I do love their displays though as some people can do the most amazing ones with so much detail.

Dyar

PS - I had a Big Mac for dinner tonight. I haven't had one for years and yes it wasn't too bad especially with a few fries thrown in and the gerkin thrown out. It really filled me up and was very satisfying.

Postby Bunno Smurf » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:25 am
Hi David,

I teach art at a Primary School and have found alfoil (aluminium foil) is great for making things out of papier mache. It's light (which helps!!) and is a lot easier to mold than chicken wire. You can get finer detail and it looks sort of rocky when you mould it. I usually mold the shape I want out of alfoil, then cover with a few layers of newspaper and finish off with a finer paper like tissue paper. If I want really fine detail I use tissue paper for the whole thing.

I've attached a photo of a Kangaroo Hopping Mouse one of the students made using this technique. It shows how easy it is and the kind of detail you can get.

Linda

Postby XoioX2000 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:58 am
Linda,

Thank you very much for that!!! :D :D :D Sounds easy enough to do!
I will have a go for my first display! The ideas are brewing right now! Just need to get down to the doing bit!

:cheers: :cheers:

Cheers,

David
:dragon: I like the smell of Napalm, first thing in the morning...:dragon:
Check out The Dragon's Cave
Page 1 of 1

Login