Home of the Smurf Community

This is the place to discuss making smurfy scenes and showing off your smurf displays. Let your artistic imaginations run wild.
Page 1 of 1
Postby JamieD » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:43 am
I've been just drooling over some (all) of the displays here...very creative and fun! For my collection (just starting), I have one side of our entertainment center - tall shelf spaces with glass shelves & door, 21 inches wide by 14 inches deep. I'd like to buy some clear plastic risers in different heights so I can see all the smurfs as I get them (I have another collection I'd like to do that for as well on the other side of the entertainment center).

I've been looking up risers online, and have found a few, but I was wondering if there were any that someone here found worked particularly well? I think three levels of smurfs in back would look great, and then super-smurfs/playsets in front...for starters, anyways. :-)

Any suggestions?

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:06 pm
Good question...and one I have not figured out myself yet :)

Brad has some custom made steps that look great but I think they were quite expensive :-?

What kind of risers have you seen so far?
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
===============================
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter

Postby JamieD » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:21 pm
Well, there are some really nice clear acrylic ones online that aren't too bad - $8.50 or so each for three steps. But the shipping costs are just outrageous. Jim suggested I look at Bed, Bath & Beyond, so I went there tonight and I found some silver metal mesh risers (in the cupboard organizing section) - two pieces for $15. They don't look bad at all, really - I got a set for the smurf cabinet, and a set for my Cherished Teddies cabinet, and I think once I have more on them they'll pretty much just disappear as far as being noticeable. I'll post pics later this week.

BB&B had white and a sort of frosted set too...so you might want to look there, if you have one...

Postby Tintin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:49 am
Hi

A friend of mine made them from wood.
Very heavy but not as expensive as the glass i guess.
But it works great, now you can see all smurfs, even the ones at the far end :-D

Tintin

Postby JamieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:16 pm
I bet those do look great! I was hoping to have something transparent so the light at the top of the cabinet would still filter through the shelves to the bottom.

Even with the mesh though, I think I'll have to add some light to the bottom shelf...

Mushroom lamp! :)

Postby smurfer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:09 am
I've had the same problem (not albe to see the smurfs at the back) in my glass cabinet as well ...

Fixed it easy and cheap:
I bought a plate of glass in the size of my cabinet at the local paint shop, and placed it in the cabinet on 4 very small wine-glasses (1 glass in every corner) ...
The next plate of glass is the same, only 8 centimeters smaller, again on small wine-glasses, etc ..

This way i was able to build a stairs of glass, excactly in the size of my cabinet .. :-D

:cheers:

Postby Tintin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:30 am
Hi Ron

A very good idea !!! :-D

Tintin

Postby Oprime » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:05 am
One easy option is to buy acrylic plexi glass strips and glue them together (using superglue) into a staircase. Really easy and inexpensive, and you can customize the size of the stairs for your requirements. No need for side or back panels, only something to keep the stairs from slipping (e.g. small rubber stoppers). Please ask if interested in more details;) Below some photos.

Pauli from FIN
SCU Finland>>Smurfs display
Ei leiki, ei pelleile!

Postby André » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:00 am
Looks very nice! :cheers:

Do you have Paddington figurines also? I mean the bear. :D
André

In Sweden the smurfs are blue ( and yellow).

Website: The collectors guide to the smurfs ( under construction) : http://thecursedcountry.com/

Smurfy blog: http://smurfblog.thecursedcountry.com/

Postby Oprime » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:33 am
Do you have Paddington figurines also? I mean the bear. :D
This is actually part of my brother's comic PVC figure collection, and yes, he has at least one series of Paddington figurines. I think he has PVCs of most comics ever released in Europe (concentrating on 60s-70s) :)

P
SCU Finland>>Smurfs display
Ei leiki, ei pelleile!

Postby Cassiebsg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:34 am
The less expensive method I know is to make them out of cardboard... :D
Of course, that won´t solve the lack of transparency if that's important. :???:
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Postby Tintin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:09 am
Hi

The plexi glass looks fantastic..................nice collection !!
Karton works to but this glass makes it very nice.

Tintin

Postby Smurfysmurf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:40 am
The less expensive method I know is to make them out of cardboard... :D
Of course, that won´t solve the lack of transparency if that's important. :???:
I've done that before, too....if you don't like the color you can always paint it yourself or glue colored paper on it...I've used green before which gives it a grassy look :D
:hiya: Maureen :hiya:

If you are having problems registering on Blue Cavern, please click the "e-mail" link on my profile and send me an e-mail with your preferred username and e-mail. Thank you :D
Join us on Facebook (private group)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/344427343595/

Hidden in the Woods

And follow Hidden in the Woods on Facebook or Twitter
Page 1 of 1

Login