Home of the Smurf Community

Ask questions or discuss anything smurf related.
Page 1 of 1
Postby The Smurf Collector » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:06 am
Hi Everyone

I am just curious to know if anyone has tried to describe the eyes on PVC Smurfs. For example I have a large collection of Papa Smurfs and in a way of trying to describe them is by describing their eyes. For example - pupils sit at the bottom of the eyes.

As the pupils are hand painted they can vary from one Papa Smurf to another.

I would appreciate any suggestions on this.

Thanks

Kath
Keep Smurfin

Kath B

Try smurfing this: http://www.smurfs.com.au
Postby Arno » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:58 am
Hi,
yes indeed, for me, looking at the eyes is very instructive.
- many of the first mold can be found with white eyes joined or not joined ; and notice that, since some years, smurfs have white eyes joined again, that is funny ; but I find it appropriate for the comics (the drawings I mean), not for the figurines
- most of the smurfs painted and made in Portugal have "half-moon" white eyes and that is a good way to know that, even if they don't have a mustard dot, they are... different, so variations (for me) and they are different also because of the satin paint
- when I ask myself for the last Bully molds if they are from Bully or from Schleich, I often conclude : large white eyes are from Bully ; narrow white eyes from Schleich
- also, the size of pupils can help to find chronology

well, kind of paint, kind of blue color, kind of eyes, kind of eyebrows for smurfettes, kind of feet, I use all of that to make difference between molds with same markings !
Postby The Smurf Collector » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:29 am
Thanks Arno, your response was great.

I was just seeing how others describe their eyes, though there is very little information on this.
So far I have used the terms to describe papa Smurf's eyes with the markings W.Germany Peyo.
small or medium pupils sit at the bottom of the eyes
small or medium pupils sit lower in the eyes
Different sized pupils.

Do you have any other terms that I could use?

I am not worried about the blue paint used, as that just opens another varying thing with Smurf's.

I will try to post some pictures, which I think will help!
Keep Smurfin

Kath B

Postby The Smurf Collector » Fri May 01, 2015 4:28 pm
I thought by adding some pictures of Papa Smurf with different markings might help us work out a consisent way to describe his eyes. Any comments would be much appreciated.

The first picture is the most recent version with the address marking + timestamp.

As with most Papa Smurf's his eyes are oval shaped though positioned differently.
This one I described with medium sized pupils in centre of eyes.

The second picture has the markings W.Germany Peyo CE + black paint dot.
This one I described with tiny sized pupils in centre of eyes
Attachments
20001GESCT Papa C3-2.jpg
20001GESCT Papa C3-2.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
20001 Papa WG CE Black C1-1.jpg
20001 Papa WG CE Black C1-1.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
Keep Smurfin

Kath B

Postby The Smurf Collector » Fri May 01, 2015 4:38 pm
Like Arno mentioned many of the ones painted in Portugal have different shaped eyes. This one has the markings W.Germany Peyo + mustard paint dot. I struggled trying to describe his eyes but I ended up with - Pupils sit at the bottom of the eyes.

In the second picture this one has the markings Made in Hong Kong Schleich S Peyo 1969. I tend to find that their positioned pupils are positioned differently. The right pupil sits at the bottom of the eye and the left is positioned lower.

The reason why I am asking for people's opinions is because I am trying to find ways to describe smurfs with the same reference number and colours.

Any assistance with this would be much appreciated.
Attachments
20001 Papa WG Mustard C2-1.jpg
20001 Papa WG Mustard C2-1.jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
20001 Papa Smurf HK 1969 C2-6.jpg
20001 Papa Smurf HK 1969 C2-6.jpg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
Keep Smurfin

Kath B

Page 1 of 1

Login